General discussion

Recent items and User ID erases in Windows 7

User ID's for all Favorite internet sites and Recent items in Office are erased each time a restart is made even though the box is checked to retain them. Is their something I have to uncheck or check to avoid this happening. Would appreciate any help. Using a Lenovo with recent upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium. Thanks Russ

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Recent items and User ID erases in Windows 7
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Recent items and User ID erases in Windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I think the reason nobody is offering advice

is because they ( and me ) don't understand the question so lets see if we can clarify.
Where do you expect to see 'User ID's for Favooite internet sites'?
Where do you expect to see 'Recent items in Office'?
Where is the box that is checked to retain them?

- Collapse -
User ID and Recent items erased in MS Office on restart Win7

When you log into a Bank, for example, a User ID is required along with a password. When you indicate your ID there is normally a box to check if you wish that your ID be retained or remembered for future log in. It is this ID that is erased. Also in MS Office when you click on the start logo a scroll down window appears with the recent items(files) used listed. It is these items that are erased on restart since the installation of Windows 7 Home Premium. Hope this clarifies. Thank you for responding. Russ

- Collapse -
Some security apps can do that.

In Windows XP I had Spybot Search & Destroy installed and its TeaTimer running. That protected me from casual eyes that might have been looking around my computer when I wasn't there.

Anything similar installed in your system?

Mark

- Collapse -
User ID's and Recent items in MS Office erased in Win7

Thank you Gentlemen. I found the culprit. It was not Windows 7 but rather another program that cleared temp files at start up and these items were included on the list. I have now eliminated this program from Start Up. Thank you all. Russ

- Collapse -
(NT) Glad you found it, and thanks for reporting back.

CNET Forums

Forum Info