Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Recent items and User ID erases in Windows 7

by renauss / April 26, 2010 5:02 AM PDT

User ID's for all Favorite internet sites and Recent items in Office are erased each time a restart is made even though the box is checked to retain them. Is their something I have to uncheck or check to avoid this happening. Would appreciate any help. Using a Lenovo with recent upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium. Thanks Russ

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
I think the reason nobody is offering advice
by peacox / April 26, 2010 3:37 PM PDT

is because they ( and me ) don't understand the question so lets see if we can clarify.
Where do you expect to see 'User ID's for Favooite internet sites'?
Where do you expect to see 'Recent items in Office'?
Where is the box that is checked to retain them?

Collapse -
User ID and Recent items erased in MS Office on restart Win7
by renauss / April 27, 2010 3:12 AM PDT

When you log into a Bank, for example, a User ID is required along with a password. When you indicate your ID there is normally a box to check if you wish that your ID be retained or remembered for future log in. It is this ID that is erased. Also in MS Office when you click on the start logo a scroll down window appears with the recent items(files) used listed. It is these items that are erased on restart since the installation of Windows 7 Home Premium. Hope this clarifies. Thank you for responding. Russ

Collapse -
Some security apps can do that.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 27, 2010 5:31 AM PDT

In Windows XP I had Spybot Search & Destroy installed and its TeaTimer running. That protected me from casual eyes that might have been looking around my computer when I wasn't there.

Anything similar installed in your system?

Mark

Collapse -
User ID's and Recent items in MS Office erased in Win7
by renauss / April 27, 2010 7:04 AM PDT

Thank you Gentlemen. I found the culprit. It was not Windows 7 but rather another program that cleared temp files at start up and these items were included on the list. I have now eliminated this program from Start Up. Thank you all. Russ

Collapse -
(NT) Glad you found it, and thanks for reporting back.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 27, 2010 7:02 PM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!