Computer Help forum

Question

Recent computer issues

by MeanMachineV9 / June 10, 2014 2:10 PM PDT

I have recently been having a problem with my computer where my mouse and keyboard begin to lag when I am playing a game. Now at first I just thought it was the game lagging but as I looked at it further everything inside the game wasn't lagging at all. This problem began happening when I replaced my stock CPU fan with a Cooler Master fan. Ever since then my graphics card has been running 10 degrees Celsius hotter and (52 before to 62 after). I have made sure that the airflow inside the computer is still good, and really the new fan should only help with flow. I was wondering if there is any way to fix this issue and if the new fan could have caused the problem?

System specs:
- Windows 7 64 bit
- ASrock Z77 Pro 4 mother board
- Intel i5 - 3570 chipset, 3.4ghz
- MSI Nvidia gtx 760 graphics card
- 500 W powersupply
- 16 GB memory
- 1 TB hard drive

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recent computer issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recent computer issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
On the airflow issue
by Jimmy Greystone / June 10, 2014 11:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Recent computer issues

On the airflow issue... Fluid dynamics is often one of those things that will make any engineer groan if you mention it, because it's a very difficult subject to get your head around. Simply having a bunch of fans doesn't mean anything if all that air is getting bunched up into pockets inside the case somewhere, which seems to be the case if your video card is now running hotter than before.

I've seen people make all kinds of mistakes with air flow. I've seen people who think having 20 fans (maybe a slight exaggeration) will somehow compensate for the rats nest of cables they have strewn about everywhere. Or people who have all exhaust fans and no intake fans, or maybe only 1 intake fan and 4-5 exhaust fans. I've seen people who put the intake fans on top and exhaust fans on the bottom or pair an intake with an exhaust on the side of a case. The number and/or power of the fans doesn't mean much if you can expel the hot air and replace it with cooler air. What you want is something like a river. If you imagine the air as a stream, you want the cooler air that settles at the bottom to be pulled in by an intake fan and blown up past the CPU and GPU on its way out the top of the case. Basic thermodynamics tells us that convection cooling only works if the air blowing past the device is at a lower temperature. So some of the heat energy is transferred to the air flowing past and the device generating the heat is cooled.

Now, if you use the stream analogy and think of a tree branch or something that might have fallen into the river and made something of a makeshift dam, the water starts to back up and swirl around that branch as it seeks to move down stream. Think of all the cables in your computer as tree branches fallen into a stream. If they're all off to the side, running parallel with the shore, the impact is minimal, but if they're jutting out, you've got a problem.

This is all just the cruising altitude overview of the subject. Many elements have been glossed over or overly simplified. But the fact that your video card is now running warmer after putting in a more powerful CPU fan says that you've got some blockages in your air flow causing hot air pockets to build up which could very well explain your problem.

Collapse -
Answer
WAG here
by Willy / June 11, 2014 1:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Recent computer issues

You mentioned air flow but sometimes a better fan which isn't a match for the "whole setup" is actually producing turbulence elsewhere in the airflow. The other fans can't push or control like they did before. The end result is the airflow isn't as efficient as it was before. Not seeing your setup aka, new cpu fan, it maybe higher and causing an airflow of its own that once gets distributed within the case and then exhausted falls into a longer time frame and as I stated prior becomes inefficient in overall air flow task as it was before. The cpu itself is probably doing better but the other areas are stressing under the less than ideal conditions they had before. Maybe a new air hole or side fan which many better cases offer is desired, check it all out. -OR- just leave the side over off.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Nod to -- just leave the side over off.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2014 1:16 AM PDT
In reply to: WAG here

One of the oldest tips in the playbook.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.