General discussion

Receiving Code HDCP-019 Out of Nowhere

Oct 24, 2010 6:04PM PDT

I have owned a Samsung LNT4669 since 2008 and it has been hooked up to the cable box with an HDMI cable with no issues.

The set has not been moved and the cable has not been touched. About a week ago, out of nowhere, when the set is turned on, a message appears on the screen informing me that: "The set's HDMI port requires an HDCP-compatible TV input" and says that I need to "switch to a compatible TV input or do not use the set's HDMI port". The error code is listed as HDCP-019.

The set was functioning fine before this happened for no apparent reason. The only way I can get a picture is by using the Samsung remote and pressing the "source" button twice each time I turn on the set --- so it does not seem like the cable is at fault, but perhaps a setting needs to be changed --- I just have no idea which one.

Thanks in advance for your help

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Receiving Code HDCP-019 Out of Nowhere
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Receiving Code HDCP-019 Out of Nowhere
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Be aware that cable operators can
Oct 24, 2010 11:58PM PDT

Cable operators can push out updates when they feel like it. Be sure to try other HDMI sources to see if those work.
Bob

- Collapse -
Receiving Code HDCP-019 Out of Nowhere
Oct 25, 2010 6:13AM PDT

abhnyc,

Agreed, but I might also suggest something else.

Try unplugging your cable box for a minute and then plugging it back in. If that doesn't fix the issue, call the cable company and have them refresh, reset or update the box, which can usually be done while you're on the phone.

That warning is coming from the cable box, and is a copy-protection device in the box. Fixing or flashing the box is most likely the answer here.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
Thanks!
Oct 25, 2010 6:33AM PDT

Appreciate the prompt responses, Bob & HDTech. I think I tried unplugging the cable box, but will do so again and then call TimeWarner when I am home tonight. I'll check back and let you know if it resolved! Best, Abbey

- Collapse -
My thanx too, I have the same problem and no solution.
Oct 26, 2010 12:26AM PDT

I sure am glad someone posted this, I've tried everything and nothing seems to help.
Not even the TW cable co. Only difference is I'm getting a HDCP-020 code. I've been running the tv on HDMI for the TW cable DVR, and the air was for a webtv we use sometimes and had hooked up, and the other component was for the DVD player, which I hadn't finished hooking up yet,

But except for the HDMI, the other (air and DVD) want a HDCP compatible tv input.

We've unplugged, boosted the box, nada.

The cable co. just brought us a new HDMI DVR that has had several upgrades shot to it, and a new smart card, they tell me.

I don't understand all this......but it's sure nice to have knowledgeable folks out there to help, and we thank you.

Best wishes.

- Collapse -
My thanx too, I have the same problem and no solution.
Oct 26, 2010 7:11AM PDT

pegolee,

Thanks for the kind words.

Just to make sure, is your issue resolved, or are you still having issues when connecting other devices like the AIR and DVD player?

HDCP should only really be an issue with a digital connection like HDMI. Component, composite and other analog inputs shouldn't be giving you this message.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
HD Tech
Nov 20, 2010 9:23PM PST

Thanx to you and everyone who posted. I wish I could say I am past this problem but I'm not.

Things around here have be major chaotic in recent weeks, and while I have tried some minor tweaks, nothing has done any good............still having the problem.

We had used the "air" setting for a hookup to Webtv, if anyone has ever heard of it.
Now with the new screen we can't do that.

Thanx again for all your help.

Best

Pegolee

- Collapse -
HD Tech
Nov 22, 2010 9:29AM PST

pegolee,

The HDTVs have a digital tuner, whereas Web-TV probably has an analog tuner. Do you know what resolutions WebTV supports? 480i/p perhaps?

Do you have any other options for connecting the WebTV to the television, perhaps using composite cables?

--HDTech

- Collapse -
Webtv ........sorry for the delay in answering.
Dec 10, 2010 3:46PM PST

HD tech,

AFAIK, webtv has no tuner.....been awhile since I used it, I've forgotten. Long time ago I heard it referred to a a "poor-man's" pc........back in the late 90's. Didn't have the HDTV back then and we used to watch it on a tv screen since there was no monitors, etc.
It didn't support anything as we know it now.

Thanx for your help.

- Collapse -
Issue Resolved
Nov 10, 2010 9:00AM PST

Haven't had a window to call TWC, but oddly enough, I noticed some enhancements to certain channels (such as ABC)after daylight savings time so again I unplugged the cable box and did a reset. Before doing this, the picture had become steadily unwatchable (even via DVR) as though it was dusted with glitter.

The weird blue error screen came on again per usual, but miraculously, after playing with a couple of DVR settings, it's gone and the picture is perfect and I did not need to switch the HDMI port or cable.

Wish I knew what finally fixed this, but do appreciate everyone's suggestions! Thanks so much!!

- Collapse -
Same Problem
Dec 1, 2010 5:20AM PST

I spent 45 Minutes with Time Warner - No solution !- Switching to Y,Pb,Pr( Red, Green and Blue )Cables gets rid of the problem- so does RGA Cables- I think the problem is with Scientific Atlanta Cable Box - will try to change Cable Set-Top Box to new ones by Samsung to solve the problem!

- Collapse -
In Reply
Dec 9, 2010 3:25AM PST

I work for a cable company and have fixed this problem just as recent as 2 days ago, it is true what was mentioned above where cable companies send out updates all the time and after some of those updates I will spend a week just going to calls fixing problems just like yours.
First thing is I am not sure which OS that the Time Warner is your area is using but if it is the Mystro this is what you would do. Make sure you you also have a regular set of AV cables, unplug the HDMI do to the fact that most set top boxes disable the other outputs when the HDMI is plugged in, plug in the AV cables put your tv on the correct input for those and once you have a picture go into the settings on your cable remote scrolling over until you see the display options or High Definition depending if the box you have is a newer cable card box, Once you are there you will see your options for picture format which is of course 16x9 if your set is a wide screen, your picture size you can set to stretch if you do not like to see the bars on the non HD channels it will auto format those, and and then a option for your formats, make sure all are unchecked and try them one at a time starting with your 1080i. Once you have just that one checked hook your HDMI cable back up and if all goes well you should have a picture. There have been a few cases where once some updates have been sent out to the boxes the tv themselves had to be updated with a sd card from the manufacturer but that was only in a few cases.

Good Luck!

- Collapse -
from I_stayed_at_a_Holiday_Inn
Dec 16, 2010 6:10PM PST

I have read your post several times......finally boosted my cable box.........we did have Mystro, but I boosted my box and now it says Cisco, and a whole lot of other info I have not seen before...same with the channel window when it's counting down for the boost.......strange new characters.

I haven't tried what you suggested with changing the wires, but I have had the settings as you described for a long time now.

Would a Cisco be basically the same as Mystro? From the looks of thing TW has been releasing updates at a fairly rapid pace.

Thanx for everyones help, it is greatly appreciated.

Pegolee

- Collapse -
HDCP-019 problem - Fixed with new box
Dec 10, 2010 8:29AM PST

I too had the same problem with new HDTV I bought this week. I have Time Warner service and was using a Scientific Atlanta Cable Box which was only a few months old. After going over all the settings in the cable box, TV and trying different HDMI cables, I called TWC and spent some time on the phone walking through the issue with them. Tech came out today and couldn't resolve the issue and swapped out the old box with a new Cisco box. NOTE: He also had Samsung boxes but said they have been having a couple issues with those. Hooked it up and we had a great picture over HDMI. Hope this helps.

- Collapse -
HDCP !
Jun 30, 2012 12:37AM PDT

Hi ... I also came across thos problem, its been over 2 months and the problems just seems to get worse. I went out and brought a more Hight end HDMI Plug and It seemes to happen again.. Happy My setup is coing from my tv then into my Surround sound then my cable cabel. Ibeen trying to fix this problem for a while now. I went to to Time warner and I even Switched the box and still no change in the Problem. I took my Tv off Wack it doenst look the same as it did. I called Best Buy where I brought the The Tv and it seems Nobody could give me a stright answer. They want me to call Geek Squarde but am not spending money , Pluse I dont have it ... I seem to look up in the internet and It reallys doesn't say much.It seems to be Am going to remove everything all over and start from scratch and trust me me that alone is a mission....... if someone could give me any ideas how to make this easy I would love to hear it.. Sad

I spent alot of money for this TV and my Surrund sound its very nerve racking when you watch it and it doesnt look like it should..... Help please !!!

Alex D

- Collapse -
Just a comment.
Jun 30, 2012 12:41AM PDT

I can only guess you are unaware about companies that do nothing but come out and setup HDTV and the rest of the gear.

-> I hear you but it appears that HDTV setup is still not without troubles. That is, more complicated than programming a programmable thermostat.
Bob

- Collapse -
Same problem
Jul 6, 2012 1:42PM PDT

So I have TWC with a SA 8300HD and have this same error code.

exactly what is the issue?

How do I get rid of HDCP-019 & HDCP-020 (and why two code numbers?

- Collapse -
If you read discussions on this
Jul 6, 2012 2:49PM PDT

You see cable boxes and cables are changed. Some can't change those so they are left to ponder what to do next.

There was another post where you remove all HDMI cables, pull the power, apply power to the HDTV, reset the TV and then power off connect one good HDMI cable (good is new and shiny, I won't talk about cables that seem to work on one set but not another) and then try again.

If that fails, you call it in.
Bob

- Collapse -
Did not work
Jul 7, 2012 11:15AM PDT

Did not work....any other suggestions avail?

- Collapse -
Now it's between you and
Jul 7, 2012 3:35PM PDT

Cable CO and Samsung. I noted when it fails to call it in. Be sure to collect those transaction numbers.

- Collapse -
Flashing, No Sound
Nov 1, 2016 5:23PM PDT

Ran into the same issue. Switched to a different HDMI port and it was fine.

CNET Forums

Forum Info