TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Receivers

by nkounev / April 8, 2007 9:27 AM PDT

I am looking into getting a to get a sound system. Some of the features that confused me are HDMI pass through, HDMI upconversion. What do theses really mean? Can you direct me to a website where I can read into this some more?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Receivers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Receivers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
nk forget about h.d.m.i. switching amps
by stewart norrie / April 8, 2007 9:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Receivers

There are problems when you run your sat or cable hi-def system thru the amp most amps will not pass thru a h.d.m.i. source For a fool proof set up buy a a/v/ amp without the h.d.m.i. switching feature amp will be much cheaper. Just run all yopur vidio straight to the t.v. and audio straight to the amp Just switch inputs on amp and t.v. no problems. Also I did a test with my set up My friend just bought a new Kenwood h.d.m.i. switching amp I ran my new Sony blue ray player and Dish network hi-def system thru it and what happened the d.v.d. picture would flash on and off also I got no picture at all with the dish system But iam old fashoned I dont run anything thru something to feed another thing stewe

Collapse -
Well
by givemeaname / April 8, 2007 9:48 AM PDT

Most of use here run a HDMI stright to the tv the use eather optic or coax digital to the A/V.

HDMI pass through is just mostly 2 or most HDMI inputs & 1 output to the tv.

Upconversion: I don't even want to talk about that because of 'Upscaling' vs 'Upconversion' Wink

What your price range?

Demon, Yamaha, Onkyo & Pioneer are the most recommended here.

Collapse -
TWO OTHER BRANDS THAT ARE WORTH LOOKING INTO..............
by Riverledge / April 8, 2007 10:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Well

NAD and SONY ES. The SONY ES have dedicated inputs for BLU-RAY. NADs have fantastic electronic systems. Consider both brands as well.

river.

Collapse -
Onkyo
by nkounev / April 8, 2007 3:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Well

I was looking at the onkyo home theaters, but then I read all this stuff about the HDMI switching capabilities of some receivers, so I decided to get some advice on this one. I want to get a blue ray player and want to make sure I get good sound with it.

Collapse -
Read a little more carefully good sir
by jostenmeat / April 8, 2007 4:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Onkyo

HDMI switching will do nothing for your audio quality. Only convenience. Like I said, you will not need ANY hdmi on your receiver for bit-to-bit studio mastered audio, if your blu-ray player decodes the format and is sent via the 7.1 analog cables to your receiver.

You say: "I want to get a blue ray player and want to make sure I get good sound with it". Ok, throw the money at nice speakers and subwoofer. Money left over? Throw it at quality amping too then. Don't get hyped into techno-terms. Again, "hdmi switching" and "hdmi upconversion" are for convenience ONLY. Like cup holders in your car. Clear?

Collapse -
hi
by jostenmeat / April 8, 2007 10:22 AM PDT

hdmi upconversion, as in regards to receivers (and not dvd players!..."upconversion" is a term used for more than one thing), basically takes other connections and spits them out of your hdmi output to tv. Many only "upconvert" component to hdmi, but some may "upconvert" even s-video and more to the hdmi. Or, upconversion to hdmi, and lets say composite upconverted to s-video, s-video to component, and component to hdmi. Yes, can be hard to find out the details of any receiver. The best bet is to hang out in the receiver section of AVS. Several owners' threads, and other informative threads. New hdmi 1.3 receivers are coming very soon. Some will decode TrueHD and DTS Master Audio. Some will have 4 hdmi inputs, and even saw one with 2 hdmi Outputs. Deep color I believe as well. You won't care about these last few things unless you purchase an HDdvd or Bluray player. Also, the hdmi inputs are not necessary for most intents and purposes. 7.1 analog inputs do the trick as well. Optical and digital coax will not, as far as the better sound formats.
I agree with steewwweee about connecting hdmi directly to tv. Best quality is in direct connections. Hdmi thru receiver gives conveniece, less wires, thats it. Sure, the better sound is available, but that can be done with analog inputs, and maintaining the direct hdmi to tv. Again, Im off-topic slightly because I keep ranting about the "new stuff". Also apologize for the verbose post.
Here you go, good luck:

New Onkyo hdmi 1.3 receivers
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=831063

Explanation of future proof receiver
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=738511

"Why you don't need HDMI 1.3" thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=789994

Happy reading, Happy Easter, jostenmeat

Collapse -
thanks for the Onkyo HDMI 1.3 AVR link
by bevillan / April 9, 2007 12:33 AM PDT
In reply to: hi

I have my eye on the TX-805 now.

Collapse -
Thank You all!
by nkounev / April 9, 2007 1:29 AM PDT
In reply to: hi

I have found aall of this information helpful.

Collapse -
NK YOU ARE WELCOME ONE MORE THING
by stewart norrie / April 9, 2007 1:51 AM PDT

Speakers are so so important a quality 5.1. speaker system is going to give you a lifetime of enjoyment Check out all the sound demo rooms in your area and listen to a quality speaker system and you will know what we means stewe

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.