TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Receivers

I have bought 4 In-Ceiling Speakers (Polk Audio RC80i); I still have to buy the center channel speaker & Receivers.

I am new to surround sound systems. I did some research onlind and came to conclusion that Denon and Onkyo are very reliable and good quality recdivers. I was thinking of buying Onkyo TX-SR674 as it has auto sound adjustment and it has following features:
1080p-compatible HDMI switching &
it can upconvert any other components connected by S-Video and composite connections.
95 watts x 7 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD

Spec. for speakers say:
frequency response 50-20,000 Hz (-3dB)
8-ohm impedance
sensitivity 90 dB
handles up to 100 watts

I want to know will this combination work? and how is the performance of Onkyo TX-SR674? or should i buy danon? wich model?

Sorry to bother you guys but I am novice on this issure and would like some help.

Thanks,

Amit Joshi

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Receivers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Receivers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Onkyo or Dennon,,, flip a coin.

In reply to: Receivers

Both are very good. I don't like celling speakers(long story) but at least you got some good ones. Celling speakers aim the sound straight down, will work in a smaller room.
Get a Polk center speaker, don't forget the sub woofer.
How big is your room? John

Collapse -
receiver - Sub

In reply to: Onkyo or Dennon,,, flip a coin.

Sorry I gorgot to mention that i got polk sub free with the purchase of speakers. SO now i just need center speaker and receiver. I would like you take on Onkyo TX-SR674 though.

My game room is 19'7" X 12'4" but my high def tv and surround sound will be in one side of the game room so it will be 12'4" X 10' 4".

Thanks for your help though.

Amit

Collapse -
At that price point, the Onkyo has the HDMI advantage over

In reply to: receiver - Sub

Denon, if HDMI connector is highly important to you. This from a Denon fan.

Collapse -
Reveiver

In reply to: Onkyo or Dennon,,, flip a coin.

John,

Can you suggest good Polk Audio Center Channel Speaker? Also I want to know, will it make any difference if I add floor standing left and right speakers?

I am getting Polk Audio R300 for $49 each
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4965501?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
do you think they will add more effect to my system?

Thanks in advanvce.

Amit

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.