TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

receiver suggestion

by Timx010 / September 18, 2008 4:38 AM PDT

I know there are so many different recievers out there. But I dont really see any with HD decoding. Im probablyt looking in the wrong place. Is there one that has HD decoding? I currently have a Sony xbr4, with a sony BlueRay s300. Thanks any suggestion would be great.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: receiver suggestion
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: receiver suggestion
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Budget???????
by givemeaname / September 18, 2008 1:46 PM PDT
In reply to: receiver suggestion

Denon
Yamaha
Pioneer Elite
Marantz
Harman Kardon
Onkyo

Collapse -
budget
by Timx010 / September 20, 2008 5:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Budget???????

I like to spend maybe like $400-800.

But would like it to be able to upconvert to 1080p if possible. Thanks for any info.

Collapse -
First of all
by jostenmeat / September 20, 2008 5:56 AM PDT
In reply to: budget

you should really ask yourself if the upscaling will benefit you. A lot of TVs do as good of a job on their own as most affordable receivers.

Such receivers CAN do a pretty good job with a DVD. However, you better not expect any miracles with overcompressed TV signals.

That being said, I personally believe its not even worth upscaling outboard, unless you can obtain Reon, Realta, perhaps Anchor Bay. The Faroudja in a lot of entry receivers do suffer from more macroblocking to the best of my knowledge.

Well, guess what, did you see RustyDallas' recent thread? At his local Fry's the Onkyo 875 is being had for $899. Granted, $99 over budget, but this comes with Reon. Hell, I don't even know what the cheapest DVD player with Reon costs these days.

Other FYIs regarding this tech. Just because its Reon doesnt make it as good as every other Reon carrying product. There's a lot to be said for implementation. IOW, I fully expect Denon's AVP to do much better, granted the msrp is at 7k.

The receiver is also the ideal place to upscale as it can do so after video and audio have been split.

scaling, or 1080, is the easy part. Making it "p" is the hard part. For "i" or interlaced to become progressive, the video processing has to take two fields in separate points in time, and make them as one.

Deinterlacing is the tricky part. Just some knowledge for ya.

Collapse -
thanks
by Timx010 / September 20, 2008 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: First of all

for the info. That did help me understand somethings. but also made me ask more questions. what is reon?

I guess I dont really need upscale if my cable tv is HD, and bluray is 1080p/i?

I just want to be sure that Im getting what im paying for. the HD audio and 1080p/i

Collapse -
if HD only then you are perfectly fine
by jostenmeat / September 20, 2008 7:04 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

I suppose you should find out if your display handles 24fps, then you need a receiver that does pass that. Most do. Don't ask me to research if your tv does for you please, thanks.

reon is a chipset that does what you were originally asking. scale/deinterlace.

Collapse -
Yes 24p
by Timx010 / September 21, 2008 2:34 AM PDT

with 120hz motion, 10bit color, its sony xbr 4. although its a good you mention that, I would have not thought whether or not it will be about to pass the 24p. Thanks.

Collapse -
24fps edit:
by Timx010 / September 21, 2008 2:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes 24p

is there a forum for all this stuff. I just want to learn more about this stuff to make the right decision.

Collapse -
Almost all current models do. IN fact maybe all of them
by jostenmeat / September 21, 2008 11:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes 24p

it was very rare when i read about an issue. usually an older AND cheaper model.

try AVS. but 24fps regarding receivers... there's not much else to research, either it passes or it doesnt.

What speakers are you driving?

I hope you are not choosing receiver first before speakers like many noobs. To me its like researching and buying a nice Bluray player before the actual television. Seriously.

In other words, completely backasswards.

Collapse -
speakers
by Timx010 / September 23, 2008 2:33 AM PDT

I plan on using JBL control 23 maybe control 25 front and rear jbl control. Maybe 25 depending on the power I can get from the reciever most likely th 23. I may go EAW UB12Se depending how these are going for. For subs I was thinking EAW SB48zp with a crown XLS 202 amp. I hope this was a noob answer

Collapse -
I have to ask how you came to decide on those products?
by jostenmeat / September 23, 2008 4:06 AM PDT
In reply to: speakers

do you have a small room? my cursory glance shows a less than desirable sensitivity for the JBL 23, and less than desirable freq range for the sub, which is not even cheap... and it doesn't even have an amp? hmrz.

Collapse -
Yes my apartment
by Timx010 / September 25, 2008 5:45 AM PDT

living room is fairly small. The distance between the couch and the television is probably 5-6". I chose the control 23 because Ive heard them before and I like the way they sound. There larger brother control 25 does a better job. I also choose the 23 because the wife doesnt like large speakers sitting by the TV(go figure..).

EAW speakers are very good at reproducing sound accurately than most consumer subs out there. It is very transparent and warm. Yes it doesnt come with a amp. But usually you can find these subs and amps used. And Im ok with that.

What would you consider a more desirable freq range for subs?

Collapse -
Well, TBH, since you are in an apartment
by jostenmeat / September 25, 2008 5:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes my apartment

maybe you don't want that extension after all. If the overall HT experience is a big thing to you, you might consider a tactile transducer like a Buttkicker or Earthquake.

RustyDallas put one or two in, and he says they are utterly effective both for viewer and not transmitting any shake thru the walls. He says they are a cinch to install, but he is out of the country for now I believe. Maybe next week he'll chime in.

You can use one w/o sub, or in conjunction with a sub. With a real sub of course is ideal, but at least you get your "buttkicked" w/o angering neighbors.

Collapse -
AS YOU ARE IN AN APARTMENT................
by Riverledge / September 25, 2008 10:57 AM PDT
In reply to: receiver suggestion

I'D SUGGEST THE ONKYO OR POSSIBLY ONE OF THE NEW SONYs OUT THERE;

THIS IS NOT ABOUT WHAT OTHERS WOULD LIKE OWN, BUT WHAT IS BEST FOR

YOU!!! DO SOME SIMPLE SHOPPING ABOUT ON YOUR OWN, AND YOU'LL DO WELL.

Best wishes shopping,

Riverledge.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.