TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Receiver input selections

by mulious / November 25, 2011 11:56 AM PST

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> I need an AV receiver that offers the ability to choose any combination of audio and video inputs. For example, if I want to have a ballgame show on the TV but would rather have ipod sound, because my daughters are home, I would need to be able to individually select one video option and one audio option. My Onkyo TX-SR608 only allows me to make one input selection TOTAL. Is there any receiver out there, preferably reasonably priced, that can do that?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Receiver input selections
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Receiver input selections
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
First, choose the video source,...
by Pepe7 / November 25, 2011 12:33 PM PST

...then, select one of the sound modes. This is how most systems do it.

Collapse -
Answer
Receiver Input Selections
by 3coursedinner / November 26, 2011 9:46 PM PST

I beg to differ with Pepe7. If the TV signal is going straight to the receiver and then from the receiver to the TV -- changing the source on the receiver to an audio source will cutoff the tv signal (at leasr in the receivers I've had experience with or know about). You didn't say whether you use antenna, cable, satellite for TV and whether you have a HD TV or a receiver, for that matter.
If you have a HDTV and HDTV cable box-- you would use HDMI to connect the cable box to the receiver and HDMI back to the TV and and also component cable from the cable box to the TV. When you want to use the IPOD you use the input selector on the TV via remote to component video input and then mute the TV sound. When done with the IPOD such back to HDMI on the TV.
If you are in the market for a receiver see my reponse to "sound system recommendations" for a great deal on an AVR ($250 off) that is totally Apple product compatible and even wirelessly.

Collapse -
Yes
by Pepe7 / November 28, 2011 2:51 AM PST

I definitely mis-read the OP. What you are saying would definitely apply if that's what the OP is referring to. I read his question as regarding assigning various inputs on an AV receiver.

Collapse -
I was hoping for a less convoluted approach
by mulious / November 30, 2011 8:33 AM PST
In reply to: Yes

It's starting to look like my best choice might be to get some kind of video switcher and use my receiver strictly for audio. I can only watch one TV and I can only listen to one audio source (or at least that's all I want). But having to use all the different inputs to the TV, in addition to all the choices on the receiver, why is it so freaking difficult to have a selector that lets me choose one of three video choices and another for the five audio choices, just to determine what gets sent to the TV and speakers?

Collapse -
Do what I do
by Dan Filice / November 30, 2011 8:55 AM PST

Use an older receiver like my Yamaha that doesn't have HDMI and it doesn't have video inputs, only audio. I know, this isn't a real solution, but it's one reason I haven't yet upgraded to a new HDMI receiver where everything changes when the Input or Source is changed. You bring up a very important glitch with new receivers. I often like to watch something on TV or on DVD while I listen to music. This works well when a group of people are over and they need eye candy while listening to tunes.

Collapse -
I like your thinking, Dan
by mulious / December 1, 2011 9:00 AM PST
In reply to: Do what I do

You're idea is right down my alley, except one thing: no room in my darn cabinet. My wife will kill me if I start putting stuff outside the cabinet, so I'm pretty limited with regard to returning my old stereo receiver to the mix. I just wish AV receivers were made for people like you and me..

Collapse -
Got the solution
by Dan Filice / December 1, 2011 12:58 PM PST

If your receiver has a Zone 2 ( many do), use Zone 2 for your music and simply turn down the volume of the video while watching TV or a disc.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.