Thank you for being a valued part of the CNET community. As of December 1, 2020, the forums are in read-only format. In early 2021, CNET Forums will no longer be available. We are grateful for the participation and advice you have provided to one another over the years.


CNET Support

General discussion

Receiver for home intercom system?

Nov 21, 2005 6:42PM PST

Hey Guys,
I just purchased a home with speakers in every room. In addition, there are 4 small cube speakers mounted in the family room for surround sound (the owner left for me) & a plug for the sub woofer. Of course, I have the phillips DVD player, samsung TV. etc. So, I'm assuming all I need is a receiver to make this system work? There are wires that are labeled coming out of the built-in cabinets to place the equipment. If so, what receiver under $1,000 could give me good sound? Not an big audiophile - but rather a lady with a cool set up - I think?

Discussion is locked

- Collapse -
More info
Nov 21, 2005 8:59PM PST

Speakers wired into every room. How many? Are there volume control knobs on a wall in each room? Or is everything just wired back to the cabinet?
A typical receiver (or surround receiver) can be used, but you will need other parts.

- Collapse -
Sleepless in dallas
Nov 22, 2005 10:59AM PST

Yes, there are flush wall speakers with same color mesh in each room with knobs that control the volume. In addition, the family room have 4 additional cube speaks high on the walll - I'm assuming surround sound. Also there are wires back tot he cabinet? I thought that the receiver would run it all? Finally, I was told that I have 6 cad5 outlets in my office and 2 in the lot area?

Hepless in dallas

- Collapse -
Possible solutions
Nov 22, 2005 12:00PM PST

Based on this information, this is what you need to do.
Remove one of the volume controls from the wall, no need to disconnect wires, just need to look and see if any model information is on them.
There are a few types of volume controls, 2 are used a lot in residential systems. One would be just a regular volume control, the other is known as an Impedance matching volume control.
If you have regular volume controls, you will need your stereo system (or surround) AND something that all the speaker wires connect to before they go into the stereo. This often is a small box which allows you to turn rooms on or off from the front, but it also is impedance matching. This term means the box can allow you to play many speakers at the same time, but your stereo always thinks it's only playing 1 pair of main speakers (which is what it is really designed to do).
If the volume controls are impedance matching type, then all you should need is the stereo, the volume controls are already protecting the stereo. You may want to get a terminal strip to tie all the wires together, as most stereo's will be difficult to try to hook all the wires up to.
If you do not confirm this and make the proper connections, you will likely overload your stereo, and damage it.
As for the CAT5 cables, these typically are used for internet connections,some companies also wire CAT5 for phone jacks. I would hope these cables other end is in the basement somewhere, or near the area where the phone and cable come into the house.

- Collapse -
Happy Thanksgiving!
Nov 23, 2005 9:35AM PST

WOW! You seems like its a rap! The previous owner labeled all the wires (example: Lt rear rt rear etc.) so I guess it's be easy. I was trying not to call some fancy home theater store that would suggest some heavy duty expensive equipment that I didn't need. I'd kinda feel like a lady in a automotive shop - they see us coming.

Thanks for you your help
ENJOY your thanksgiving! GOD blessed me with the new house so I'm extremely thankful!!

- Collapse -
Cool lady/home/outfit
Nov 25, 2005 4:31AM PST

You're lucky your apparently newish home was thoughtfully kind of over-wired. Don't panic. Big bucks aren't necessary.

My formula for care free transition: You're in apparently urban area, help is there. Find an independent audio dealer in business for many years. You don't need the high end audio consultants or high pressure. Be prepared to provisionally buy (with installation included) an A/V (audio-visual) receiver for around $400-$500 bucks. Suggested brands to look for - NAD or Denon. (I'm not selling any brands.) Don't need all bells and whistles. Or more than about 50 watts per channel unless your space is absolutely enormous. Those suggested brands can handle 5, 6, or 7 channel speaker sets and a couple of separate zones at that reasonable price point. Their tech is up-to-date and they're solid brands. The dealer deserves to not quite match online prices for the real service to assess any special needs (which I wouldn't anticipate.)

- Collapse -
Home outfit - Very Cool lady
Nov 30, 2005 1:20PM PST

Thanks for your prompt response. I 've been traveling thus, my response is tardy. I do feel less panicky now that everyone has responded and assured me that all I need is a receiver. I can't wait to get it all hooked up!

I was looking at an Integra system?

I'll let you know how it works out

- Collapse -
Sleepless in dallas
Nov 30, 2005 12:41PM PST

Thanks so much for the information. I'm ready to hook up my stereo and ply beautiful music throughout the house.

I'll keep you posted !!