TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Receiver and Speaker advice.......HDMI compatible?

by biggibba / January 24, 2008 8:48 AM PST

New to posting b/c I need some advise and decision making help.

I have a Phillips 1080i HDTV (only one HDMI input!)

I am looking to begin building a sound system to compliment my extensive audio collection (cd's and mp3's) and my TV. I also want to be able to run my PS3 through the system as well.

With my current tv only having one HDMI input, I currently run an HDMI switch to flip between the cable box for HDTV and the PS3 for games and blu-ray. Not upgrading TV's anytime soon so I need a receiver that will help me accomplish my sound system goals.

I plan on only begining with a 2 or 3 speaker system (i live in a condo w/ small space) but would like to be able to upgrade to more channels in the future.

System needs to be multi-pupose. Sound quality and versatility is important for it's music capabilities, more important to me than a traditional "home theater" However, would like to be able to have decent surround available, especially for future additions.

Looking to spend $500 - $800 in total.

Where do I begin????? Any and all advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Receiver and Speaker advice.......HDMI compatible?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Receiver and Speaker advice.......HDMI compatible?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
SORRY YOUR POST LEAVES ME BIT CONFUSED..............
by Riverledge / January 24, 2008 9:31 AM PST

JUST WHAT DO YOU WANT IT TO DO???

river.

Collapse -
music/gaming/and bluray sound
by biggibba / January 24, 2008 9:38 AM PST

I thought I said, sorry.

Most important to me is to be multi-functional and be able to add on more channels in the furture.

music listening experience important, ipod compatible.

gaming and tv sound, HDMI compatible.

thanks.

Collapse -
thats tough
by jostenmeat / January 25, 2008 3:26 AM PST

Hm.

Well, cd and mp3 connectivity... Id imagine anything could do that. Small space... means less need for great amp. Still, extra headroom never hurt nobody. I know of two persons that run 3000 watts for just their computer system. DIY guys.

If you do not need decoders for lossless audio codecs, you have a world of choices. Let's assume you do not. In which case, I usually say skimp on the receiver. I also tend to encourage blowing a lot on the sub. But that's for HT, but still, I greatly encourage it!

You could get this for $148:
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR304S-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B000FJKJHU/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1201288372&sr=8-16

3 pairs of these for a total of $300:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/KRK-ST6-2-Way-Passive-Studio-Monitor-102086071-i1166540.gc

1 of these for $430
http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-10nsd.cfm

Now, its over your budget. You could get an entry HSU, Outlaw, or even X-sub, Dayton, etc. But wimpy subs are just... bah. Anyways, for $878, the above will be pretty darn hard to beat. And yes, I skimped on the receiver choice. How many feet will you be from the speakers at listening spot?

Ohhhhh, shoot. I forgot you want HDMI. Is video only good enough? Or do you need audio from the hdmi inputs (not willing to use shotgun optical or coax?)

The cheapest HDMI I know is the 505. Amp section is really wanting. Only video switching. The 605 runs $400.

well, just ideas anyways. Speaker choice will be hard to go wrong with for the money. Use one of them as a vertical bookshelf as the center channel. If you need to lay it on its side, then forget it, and scratch my idea off the list. GL.

Collapse -
thanks for the input......more questions
by biggibba / January 25, 2008 7:18 AM PST
In reply to: thats tough

thanks so much for the input.

as for HDMI; audio and video is important for the receiver, i think, i'm a novice when it comes to this sort of stuff. but the A/V for my TV and PS3 are all connected through HDMI, so I belive that is the case.

I know you say skimp on the receiver, but future growth is important to me. I believe (correct me if im wrong) that makes HDMI ports a must, which kinda means skimping on the receiver isnt much of an option.

if i get a receiver with in/out HDMI ports I will be able to enjoy both my tv and the PS3 running through the receiver? am I right on that?

Collapse -
hmm
by jostenmeat / January 25, 2008 9:24 AM PST

well, you already have an HDMI switcher. So don't pay a ton of money just to have the switcher on the receiver? The only reason to run HDMI thru receiver, outside of switching, is to access lossless HT audio. Otherwise, almost everyone here recommends running straight to tv. Which you can't I know, but you have the switcher...

Lookie here... receivers... the sky is the limit in price. You will have to do some research, then maybe a little more research, then some mental juggling.

Honestly... it sounds as your needs are actually modest. You do not "need" onboard upscaling, balanced outputs, multiple HDMI output, Audyssey, whether MultiEQ, or even Pro, or mulitple torroidal transformers, or I dunno...

For 3 HDMI inputs, I think of the Onkyo 705. However, for very little more, the 805 is a SERIOUS step up, and highly recommended if:

- you need the advanced decoders
- can afford $700 for it. But, then, no budget left...

Mental juggling start yet?

If you are in no rush, I might try something of the sort I had recommended. HDMI is still sorting itself out with HDCP handshake issues, etc. If $150 is too much money for an interim receiver for a year or two, I totally understand. Just an idea because it can get you surround right now, and then your options will probably be better and cheaper when you get the money.

Me? I am always riding that fine line.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.