TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Receiver

by Doumm / February 8, 2006 6:37 AM PST

I wondering what is the best receiver to buy Harman Kardon or Yamaha?

I have a Yamaha HTR 5840 - AV receiver - 6.1 channel and I want to change it for something better at leas a receiver with 7.1 chanel speakers.

I was thinking to buy a Harman Kandon receiver because I alredy have a DVD Harman Kardon; but with the Yamaha's technology YPAO and THX select and THX Ultra II I'm getting confuse.

I don't really have any budget I just want something that will sond verry good and I really like Harman Kardon.

I don't want to change anything esle just the receiver

I currently own:
-One DVD player Harman Kardon(DVD22).
-Four Bose 301 (Series V Direct/Reflecting Speaker System)
-One Bose VCS-10 Center Channel Speaker.
-One subwoofer Velodyne (DPS Series DPS-12).
-One Monster Cable Home Theatre Reference Power Center surge suppressor (HTS 3600 MKII).
-Everything is pluged wiht Monster Ultra? Series THX

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Receiver
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Receiver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Receiver
by jcrobso / February 8, 2006 6:46 AM PST
In reply to: Receiver

The sourrond encoding on DVDs is 5.1. The 6.1 or 7.1 reciver phonies up the other channels from whats encoded on the DVD. You will have to get another speaker. John

Collapse -
New speakers would help a lot;
by norlfolkcentral / February 8, 2006 7:35 AM PST

Consider POLK, ENERGY, and MIRAGE dedicated systems.
I think you'll some in your price range. Good listening.

Collapse -
NICE SET UP EXCEPT SPEAKERS
by stewart norrie / February 13, 2006 6:09 AM PST

Lets put it this way hi quality speakers are expensive But they will give you a lifetime of awsome sound that you will never get tired of listening to. and they will keep there value. EXAMPLE I just sold 2 15 year old Klipsch 5.5 tower speakers Only because they were designed for 2 channel sound and did not work well for 5.1 souround sound Sold them on e-bay and got almost as much as what I paid for them. O.K. good luck stewart

Collapse -
No budget?
by HTHMAN / February 8, 2006 10:16 AM PST

If you see a new receiver you like that haa features you need, get it. If money is not an option buy THX certified equipment. But remember, you system is going to sound exactly the same with the new receiver. What you hear are the speakers. Take the time to audition some speakers before you spend any money on a new receiver. If possible, try them out in your house.

Collapse -
Look before you leap?
by NM_Bill / February 13, 2006 4:50 AM PST

You're apparently young and tend to impulsively leap before you look. Time will probably dampen you impulses. Not to put you down, but others and me (retiree) often tend to feel Bose speakers are no ultimate. Bose equipment is good for Bose though. I am one oldster who really has come to believe in the filtering and line conditioning of Monsters Home Theater Reference Poer Centers, though not Monster Cables ( middling quality rip off).
To get off your back, please just do learn, learn, learn. Certainly more options than just Harman or Yamaha, though I've nothing against them. I do suggest looking into Denon and NAD for your future equipment. They're hard to beat for offering high quality without all bells and whistles but solid value. They're good enough a step up not to have to think of replacing every whipstitch.

Collapse -
LIKE SEVERAL OTHERS HAVE SAID........
by Riverledge / February 13, 2006 6:43 AM PST
In reply to: Look before you leap?

THE SPEAKERS are your weakest link. Personally I prefer KLIPSCH systems, but also POLK. As far as a new reciever goes, it may be a back-burner purchase.
NADs are high quality components, definately no frills.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?