HolidayBuyer's Guide

Cameras forum

General discussion

Reccomendation on Camera

by geyal / November 23, 2010 2:20 PM PST

My wife needs a camera to take pictures of her makeup arts. She will do this at home. So I need to have a camera with ability to shoot macro shots as well to work well with not perfect lighting.

I also saw that there are cameras that shoots Full HD videos and that will be a big plus for me.

My budget is around $550-$600

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reccomendation on Camera
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reccomendation on Camera
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How will the pictures be used?
by PistonCupChampion / November 23, 2010 3:10 PM PST

Will the pictures be printed? If so, what size? Or will they be posted online?

Collapse -
VolkanAkkurt: Try/test Canon A620.
by volkan akkurt / November 27, 2010 4:24 AM PST

VolkanAkkurt: Try/test Canon A620.

Collapse -
Answer
by geyal / November 28, 2010 3:41 PM PST

Most if not all of the pictures will be posted online. I believe that photos for printing she will hire a proffesional photographer

Collapse -
Thanks but
by geyal / November 28, 2010 3:45 PM PST

Thank you for the reccomendation but that camera looks quite old (I think it is from 2005), it got maximum 7 million pixels as well as her video capability is quite poor for what cameras can do in that last 1-2 years

Collapse -
Cameras and Lights
by PistonCupChampion / November 28, 2010 4:06 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks but

For posting online, the number of megapixels is unimportant; any camera will do. As far as shooting in poor light, she would be better off buying some inexpensive studio lighting than trying to buy a camera that works well in poor light. Even the best compacts can only do so much before using the built-in flash, and built in flash almost always makes people look not-so-good. Regardless, for under $500 you can get any of the top compacts: the Canon S95, the Canon G12, the Panasonic LX5, or the Samsung TL500. All but the Samsung have HD video FWIW, they are all 720p, not so-called full HD cameras...but honestly, you probably wouldn't ever notice the difference). The Canon S95 is the most compact, but the G12 and Panny LX5 have hot shoes for adding a flash; an advantage since you can get a flash that can tilt/bounce its light for better results.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.