Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Recall Elections in Wisconsin

by James Denison / February 24, 2011 10:08 PM PST

Both sides are gearing up for recall elections to try and change the balance of power in Wisconsin. Walker can't be recalled until he's been in office a year. About half of each party senators can be recalled, the others still have to serve a full year before any recall can be placed against them.

http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Laws_governing_recall_in_Wisconsin

http://www.wbay.com/Global/story.asp?S=14086675

It's becoming a political firestorm on Facebook, pages dedicated to drumming up support to recall both Republican and Democratic lawmakers over their position on the governor's budget repair bill.

But it's not stopping there.

On Saturday, a group of more than 100 people will meet at the Rock Garden in Howard to plan a recall effort against Senator Dave Hansen, a Green Bay Democrat.

In northern Wisconsin, efforts are even further along to recall Democratic Senator Jim Holperin, who represents Senate District 12 which includes portions of Marinette and Oconto counties.

"I can hardly talk to you right now because the phone keeps ringing, the emails are full, we've got a group of people here today to help me field all the phone calls, the emails, and how we're logistically going to cover contacting all the people who have contacted us," Kim Simac, who's leading the recall effort, said.

Simac says -- and the GAB confirms -- she filed the necessary recall paperwork. She says Saturday more than 200 people will start traveling the district to collect signatures.

"The goal is 20,000 signatures and to replace Senator Holperin," Simac said. "We need someone to represent us with dignity, and simply getting up and running out of the state when the going gets tough is very embarrassing for us people up here in the district."

Lawmakers being targeted say they aren't surprised.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recall Elections in Wisconsin
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recall Elections in Wisconsin
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Recall elections, especially many of them
by Roger NC / February 26, 2011 6:32 AM PST

will cost more than they'll save by the proposed cutbacks probably.

I'd really like to see one legislature (and Congress) cut back themselves, indeed they should volunteer for at least one year without pay in the spirit of leadership, as they cut back everyone that hasn't donated enough to their election war chests.

Collapse -
Defeating a Recall
by James Denison / February 26, 2011 8:29 AM PST

By using a dirty trick. Send your own supporters out first to collect signatures for your recall, reminding signers to ONLY SIGN ONE RECALL PLEASE to avoid making the count more difficult. When the real petitioners reach them they will claim to have already signed another form. Your supporters toss their forms.

Collapse -
How does that tie to cost of recall?
by Roger NC / February 26, 2011 11:48 AM PST
In reply to: Defeating a Recall

Not a problem with the post, but seemed confusing in context to the post you replied to.

Collapse -
It was a thought i had
by James Denison / February 26, 2011 1:02 PM PST

and better than posting to myself while ignoring your post. As for the cost of recall, I can't see an easy solution for that one.

Collapse -
(NT) Understood, and a definite workable dirty trick
by Roger NC / February 26, 2011 10:57 PM PST
In reply to: It was a thought i had
Collapse -
Could it be, Roger...
by J. Vega / February 26, 2011 2:54 PM PST

Could it be that the main reason behind the recalls is not about the amount of money with cutbacks, but legislators fleeing the state when they were supposed to be "on duty"?

Collapse -
Sure, and while
by Roger NC / February 26, 2011 11:02 PM PST
In reply to: Could it be, Roger...

I don't like overall what I've heard of the proposed law, I don't approve of the run and hide method of dealing with it either.

I suppose you could argue that it's similar to a filibuster in the Senate, but it's not quite the same.

But note from the quote above-

It's becoming a political firestorm on Facebook, pages dedicated to drumming up support to recall both Republican and Democratic lawmakers over their position on the governor's budget repair bill.

So its not just about the run and hide legislature members, it's both sides trying to change the dynamics of the vote on the proposed changes.

Collapse -
What don't you like about the proposed law?
by Mike_Hanks / February 27, 2011 12:11 AM PST
In reply to: Sure, and while

Any chance what you have "heard " about it is quite different from the facts?

Also, as far as the "political firestorm" on facebook, could most of it be astroturf?

http://slapblog.com/?p=9736

Collapse -
Your link appears to be one that changes
by Roger NC / February 27, 2011 8:18 AM PST

what it links to, or else I missed any direct relevance to the discussion on the first page of the link.

But it also seems, like most web sites linked in an argument, this one is very much opinionated, and probably more preaching to the choir than presenting nuance arguments for conversions.

The name itself isn't particularly faith inspiring.

Collapse -
Strange
by Mike_Hanks / February 27, 2011 12:04 PM PST

"Obama Administration Setting Up Fake Social Network Profiles To Spread Propaganda"

That's what I get when I go to the link. That's the story.

Democrat astroturfing.

Collapse -
OR
by JP Bill / February 27, 2011 12:51 PM PST
In reply to: Strange

It could be "American" astroturfing.

Personas must be able to appear to originate in nearly any part of the world and can interact through conventional online services and social media platforms.

Did you think the Chinese are reading Speakeasy?

Perhaps you let the cat out of the bag?

Collapse -
(NT) Ok, maybe I made a mistake before.
by Roger NC / February 28, 2011 7:42 AM PST
In reply to: Strange
Collapse -
Laugh my a*s off !!!!!
by grimgraphix / February 27, 2011 1:21 PM PST

from Mikes link...

I have no problem with any administration using the media, social networks or other creative methods to get the message out but ... to mislead and manipulate people is a completely different story? imagine the outrage if the Bush Administration had done something like this ...

The Bush administration did something EXACTLY LIKE THIS !!!!!

Posted 1/7/2005 12:17 AM By Greg Toppo, USA TODAY
Education Dept. paid commentator to promote law

Seeking to build support among black families for its education reform law, the Bush administration paid a prominent black pundit $240,000 to promote the law on his nationally syndicated television show and to urge other black journalists to do the same.

Now... I have extreme doubts that Obama is involved with creating false personal profiles. However, to stay within the spirit of secret conspiracies, may I suggest that it is just as likely for Republicans to create these fake personal profiles, and then plant rumors laying it at Obama's doorstep.

Or maybe, just maybe, we can all agree that there is no conspiracy and talk like grownups about the OP.

Collapse -
That's nothing
by James Denison / February 27, 2011 4:31 PM PST

Happens on Yahoo every day by thousands of average joes. You can catch them when they are in the slow forums where checking on the participants shows various profiles all follow each other around, indicating it's one person with several personas. Another is running a search on a sentence and find the same exact one appears under different profiles. The govt wouldn't have to try hard to hide it.

Collapse -
Recall both, Roger...
by J. Vega / February 27, 2011 12:55 AM PST
In reply to: Sure, and while

Roger, did you notice that it started with a recall of a Democrat, and was because of the obvious reason, fleeing the state when they were supposed to be on duty. Suddenly, you see communications about recalls of Republicans. For what, Roger? Bear in mind that a legislator must have been in their position for at least a year before they are eligible for a recall drive. So with supposed recall movements of Republicans, it couldn't be for Republicans that are newly elected in the power shift, but only ones that have been in office for a least a year. What did those "old hands" do?
I think that you are being "played". Can't you see it? The Democrat recall movement was for the obvious reason, fleeing the state. So what do the MoveOn types do? They quickly gen up and spread communications about recalls of Republicans, so they can say "Republicans too!". But you say that the Facebook firestorm calls the reason support of a pending bill. But if that were the reason, wouldn't the calls in the case of Republicans have started a while ago? But it suddenly started right after the action against a Democrat started. I think the reason was for the "them too" reason, saying that it was for support of a bill was an attempt to "play" readers, and you bought that reason. I don't, the timing of the start of those sudden calls for Republicans is just too suspicious for it to be that reason. My opinion. And I didn't first run to another state to voice it (grin).

Collapse -
Odd, I thought I replied earlier.
by Roger NC / February 27, 2011 11:50 AM PST
In reply to: Recall both, Roger...

must have not completed the process.

Could I be being played? always possible. But the quote and reference under discussion named both parties facing possible recalls over dissatisfaction of the current situation and the way things are going.

Could it be a Democratic spin on recalls? maybe so. Focusing on that both sides are guilty would lessen their bad appearance relatively.

Could implying it was a Democratic spin to turn the light of them be a Republican spin? maybe so too. That would be another attempt of one side to focus the attention on the other.

An election probably will be the only thing to settle such, but whether a recall or whether they all have to bear with the current government until next regular remains to be seen.

And if the governor gets everything he seems to be asking for, the next election for all positions on the ballot will probably be a fierce and ugly competition. Indeed, I expect that will be the one truth no matter what happens over the current proposals.

Collapse -
and old expression
by James Denison / February 27, 2011 4:37 PM PST

...which describes what Mike means, it's called "*** for tat". Justification isn't the principle, but just matching what the other does.

Imagine a state policemen in marked cars driving fast through a local town and the local police begin stopping them and giving deserved tickets. The state officers realize some of the city cops live outside the city limits so they watch for them going home in their civilian vehicles to stop and give them a ticket they didn't deserve as a payback.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.