Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Rebuilding a Computer

by jkoch1 / May 26, 2008 10:52 AM PDT

Ok so a while ago I had a perfectly good working Windows XP. Then it crash (I don't know why). My friend whp fixes computers had a copy of linux so he downloaded that onto my computer. Later he found a free version of Windows XP and put that on as well. My other friend gave me a copy of Windows XP and now what I would like to do is get rid of linux and Windows XP(the free version) and download Windows XP as my opperating system. I have a disc for Windows XP and if I put that in it says it will download XP for me, but I don't know if it will get rid of the free version and linux. I assume it won't so I need to know how to get rid of all of my opperating systems and install Windows XP. Hope that wasn't to much. If you have any suggestions let me know.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Rebuilding a Computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Rebuilding a Computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
fdisk
by Porch-a-Geese / May 26, 2008 10:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Rebuilding a Computer

Have your friend wipe your drive clean with a live CD and the qtparted or fdisk utility on it.

Collapse -
re:fdisk
by jkoch1 / May 26, 2008 11:00 AM PDT
In reply to: fdisk

no they haven't done anything I still have everyting on it I just want to get rid of everything and install windows XP

Collapse -
live cd
by jkoch1 / May 26, 2008 11:10 AM PDT
In reply to: re:fdisk

whats a live cd?

Collapse -
knoppix
by Porch-a-Geese / May 26, 2008 11:23 AM PDT
In reply to: live cd

Ask your friend to make you a copy of knoppix using nero or sonic and the "burn image to disk" function.
be sure the md5 sum matches. use cd-rw if you don't make a good copy the first time.
leave the disc in the tray and reboot the computer.
be sure the bios is set to boot from the cdrom first.
a good burn will have you seeing the knoppix intro screen.
hit enter and you are in a linux environment. KDE.
you can fix your system here.
control panel and adjust keyboard rate in peripherals. set at 13/sec
single click on everything
command for root access here is "sudo su"
the terminal is on the task bar
you can use "fdisk /dev/sda" and follow the directions

or you can use qtparted.
once you get online and setup the repeat rate go to net and open iceweasel. come back to cnet forums and search my posts for the partitioning tutorials.

By the way, a livecd is a complete system on a cd.

Collapse -
Before you get too far along
by Jimmy Greystone / May 26, 2008 11:22 AM PDT

Before you get too far along, are you sure that copy of XP is legal? Either copy really. That should be the first order of business, because Microsoft has been adding teeth to the Windows license lately.

Other than that, the advice given is pretty much spot on, and a LiveCD is really any bootable CD, but typically it refers to a Linux distribution that can be booted, and run, from a CD. No installation required.

Collapse -
Locked.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 26, 2008 9:25 PM PDT

Sorry but I am locking this.

There is no free version of Windows XP. Microsoft doesn't do that.

Also, if your friend has given you a copy of his own XP CD then that is Piracy, and such actions cannot be discussed in these forums.

You need to sort these issues out before moving on. Find your original XP CD that came with the computer and use that. If you have mislaid it, contact the place that supplied you with the computer and ask them for duplicate CD's for that computer.

Feel free to let me know through my profile if I have misunderstood the situation.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?