General discussion

Rebuilding a 1999 IBM Thinkpad

I am on the road alot in my job and have lugged around an old 1999 IBM Thinkpad that doesn't work half of the time and I can't get to hook up to hotel intenet connections The organizations tech guy, an outside contractor, wants to "rebuild" it. To my thinking we're still going to have a 6 year computer that is woefully outdated. My question is..how much is it reasonable to invest in something this old when dell has a new laptop on line for about $650. Anybody?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Rebuilding a 1999 IBM Thinkpad
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Rebuilding a 1999 IBM Thinkpad
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Choice is yours

The cost is the factor. No need even to think about it when a used one, provided it works costs about $100 or less for similar 1999 models. Sure, someone may pay more like $150, but if it breaks, do you really want to fix it, is all too often the deciding factor to pitch or donate it. I have Thinkpad 365XD, it works but is only a backup at customers sites when thier system is blown. It helps to access the www to get the drivers, etc. and still is reasonable to lug around. Sure, a $700 laptop is better, but since it maybe stolen, dropped or flat out given me it last days, its worth to keep for now, but once the battery is no good, I'll donate it. Why pay $100 for a battery when in all likelyhood, I'll find a whole replacement for $75. Of course the local sources to me are decent, the choice is yours.

enjoy Happy -----Willy

- Collapse -
Your company & IBM

If your company uses IBM Laptops for field services it maybe for reasons of software/programs they run. Also it is better for the company and for you if the use the same unit or at least from the same manufacture for tech support help. If everyone had a different make laptop you would never get near the correct support needed, when it needed. The company can buy used IBM Laptops at may resellers, example of such is at this link:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1059602&CatId=1064

&

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=1064

The T-23 is a good Laptop for field work and has good battery life.

CNET Forums

Forum Info