General discussion

Rebooting Problems

When I reboot, it goes through the cycle until the background screen comes on. Just before the icons come on the desktop, It makes an attempt to go to the A drive for no reason. No Icons end up coming on to the wallpaper background. The background wallpaper is displayed with the cursor. I can start in safe mode, the icons come on but can't seem to restore my computer. I choose a checkpoint date but it does not want to restore it. I can't get on the internet. I'm running XP on a router. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Rebooting Problems
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Rebooting Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re:Rebooting Problems

If you can Shutdown, then press the power button or such, then it's something like:

A. Drivers. Many are just learning the Microsoft doesn't supply/install drivers for your hardware. Many are rudely awakened when asked "What video card do you have?" so drivers can be found (and for motherboard and more.)

B. BIOS. The BIOS must be uptodate and not set to any agressive settings. Many resist having a current BIOS, and will have to live with their decision since this is "on the list."

C. Other software. Review the XP Shutdown article a couple clicks off of the page at http://www.aumha.org/articles.htm

Bob

- Collapse -
Re:Rebooting Problems

Your Bios was somehow reset to default. This may not be your fault if the systems are managed remotely by someone inside the router. During boot up you can manually override start up and reset the settings to what you were using. One will be to set the "boot device" string to look at the hard disk instead of the floppy drive as you mentioned.

CNET Forums