HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Rebooting every 3-5 days. What's wrong?

by JJ609 / March 14, 2007 7:42 AM PDT

Hi Everyone. I have a fairly new computer, built last year by a local company with AMD Athalon 64 3000+, 1.81 GHz, 1Gb Ram, 200GB HD, Radeon X850 video card, XpHome SP2. The computer works just fine, but when I'm surfing the Internet I will reach a point of where images/graphics won't load with the page or, after taking a long time to connect, I will get the lost connection(?) page, the one where it says to check your internet connection, etc., but there's nothing wrong with my connection, it's 100%. I'm currently using IE7, but this was happening with IE6, too. When I can't get anything to "connect" I have to close IE and restart the computer. Then I can successfully "connect" with any page I visit. I have to do this every 3 to 5, but mostly about every 5 days. Has anyone every heard of this? And what can I do to combat it? Thanks.

JJ

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Rebooting every 3-5 days. What's wrong?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Rebooting every 3-5 days. What's wrong?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just Some Thoughts..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 14, 2007 8:52 AM PDT

1. Try installing an updated driver for your ethernet card?

2. Tried installing updated drivers/firmware for your router or modem?

3. Set it up to automatically clear all the Temporary Internet Files after Internet Explorer closes?

4. Tried a different browser such as Firefox?

5. Do you shut down the computer each night?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
re: Just Some Thoughts
by JJ609 / March 14, 2007 2:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Just Some Thoughts..

Okay, I will look for ethernet card/router driver/firmware updates. Before I wrote this I look in Tools/Internet Options to see if I have it set to clear TIF on closure and it is, but it's been my experience that it never does, so I'll do it manually. While I have Firefox, I've never really warmed up to it as a program and I haven't used Netscape in years. I don't, for a fact, turn the computer off at bedtime (not necessarily at night :-); it's usually left on except in the event of thunderstorms. (Where I used to work we had a computer that ran continuously for 16 years, but it was just a DOS machine.) Thanks for your suggestions.

JJ

Collapse -
Wow! Uptime eh
by meisinscotland / March 16, 2007 11:27 AM PDT
In reply to: re: Just Some Thoughts

Yea, 16 years, wow, thats as long as I have been "on" for! haha. Could be your uptime that is causing this problem/s. I am very pleased with the uptime of most Windows OSes, particularly XP and 2000. However, I find with the more software and "hotfixes" you install the lower your uptime will be. IN fact I disabled Windows UPdates. Its up to you, you could clean reinstall your OS.

Collapse -
Rebooting every 3-5 days. What's wrong?
by Stan Chambers / March 14, 2007 11:28 AM PDT

I've seen posts similar to this before in these forums. I can't give you all the reasons why this occurs, but I can tell you that if you reboot your computer once each day, the problems will likely subside.
Another tool that I use is CCleaner. It eliminates all the trash that accumulates in the system after hours of surfing and using other apps.
We simply have to do a good job of housekeeping,(taking out the trash), to avoid these types of problems.

Collapse -
reboot problem
by crothers1063 / March 14, 2007 2:31 PM PDT

try running a good registry cleaner and spyware/adware program. Also, a lot of people have problems with IE7 including me.It will lock up and want to close for no apparent reason. I recently downloaded the firefox browser and have had good luck with it and no problems. Hope this helps

Collapse -
re: reboot problem
by JJ609 / March 14, 2007 3:04 PM PDT
In reply to: reboot problem

To Stan Chambers and crothers1063: Thank you for your replies. I have Registry Mechanic installed but it doesn't run on a schedule; is CClean better? I don't have separate spyware/adware software but use Trend Micro's PcCillin Internet Security 2007 which is even more all-purpose than it started out as. I've also had IE7 lock up and close, but isn't that Micro$oft? Maybe they'll come up with a fix one day. I seem to recollect that one of the reasons that I don't use Firefox is that it wouldn't go to a site I wanted to visit even tho IE would, so I just keep it in reserve, but don't actively use it.

JJ

Collapse -
Assumptions
by meisinscotland / March 18, 2007 11:12 AM PDT
In reply to: reboot problem

Wow, this is usually what I am doing!

Its broad to assume that lots of people have problems with IE7 -- I sure as hell dont. Firefox for me is worse!

Collapse -
Could just be a Windows XP thing ...
by TE7 / March 16, 2007 4:42 PM PDT

I've noticed on my computer (Windows XP Professional SP2) that when I'm on the internet for a while that I continually lose available memory over a period of time, which I correct by rebooting every 2-3 days. I've found that this is an XP thing, which could possibly be addressed in the next Service Pack (SP3) in early 2008. They call it a memory leak. You can verify this by checking your available memory every 8 hours for several days (without turning your computer off). Just hit CTRL-ALT-DELETE to check your committed memory. With a memory leak this value sould gradually increase over a few days. Also, check your available memory by going to START,ALL PROGRAMS, ACCESSORIES, SYSTEM TOOLS, SYSTEM INFORMATION to get your available physical memory (with an XP memory leak this value will gradually decrease over a few days time). But I would not disable updates to Windows, as one of the posters suggested. If you verify that a memory leak is your problem, just shut down your computer at night. A reboot takes care of a memory leak problem.

Collapse -
Memory leaks
by consaka / March 17, 2007 2:30 AM PDT

Memory leaks are not a normal xp thing.. You need to find the program thats leaking the memory. You might be able to see it with taskmanager but also might need to do some looking on google for finding memory leaks. then again you might have cheap memory. this could be that excuse you are looking for to upgrade to 2 gigs of corsair memory. Even if the memory upgrade doesnt solve the problem the extra memory would increase the time between reboots. Personally I would not rest till I found the leak. I have run windows xp for months without a reboot and when I do reboot its usually to add some hardware or software or otherwise tweak the system.

Collapse -
It just happens
by Ed-duh-win / March 16, 2007 5:02 PM PDT

I keep my PC up-to-date, spanking clean with two spyware scanners, one antivirus scanner and two registry cleaners. The same happens to my PC as well. My highest record for uptime was 384hours and after that things just went downhill - lost connectivity, Windows Explorer messing up, Internet Explorer 7 not loading webpages, etc etc. You just have to restart the PC once every so often.

That's all the help I can give you.

Edwin

Collapse -
Thats not normal
by meisinscotland / March 17, 2007 2:37 AM PDT
In reply to: It just happens

Your system shouldnt be doing that, its called being unstable!

I dont use Windows Automatic Updates and what a difference. NO more crashes, leaks, hangs, explorer messing up like you say... I can leave it (Windows 2000 or XP) on for days or even weeks on end and it is fine.

Collapse -
To all replies:
by Ed-duh-win / March 18, 2007 4:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Thats not normal

Please keep in mind that my PC isn't the best - its not anywhere near mainstream either. I didn't buy this PC nor did I get any input on the decision. This was given to me as an insurance replacement - and from the beginning I suspected something was wrong with the PC. It required a complete restore once every 3 months (longest I've went was 6 months) and things were really unstable. The PC ran excessively slow under load such as Photoshop and Internet Explorer 7 with Windows Live Messenger running at the same time.

It might just be my PC. Its a cheap, oEM-stripped model, lacking even an AGP port. This PC was manufactured in 2004. Those above factors may be why my PC isn't as stable as yours.

I take no offense. I've almost thrown this PC out of my window more times than I can count.

Collapse -
Let me add...
by Ed-duh-win / March 18, 2007 4:28 AM PDT
In reply to: To all replies:

Let me add that I think this was a refurbished or messed-with machine. It just doesn't operate normally at times.

I also get the "memory leak" as well.

I just don't know and I've given up on my PC. So I reboot every 100-200hours or so.

Collapse -
Hmm
by meisinscotland / March 18, 2007 11:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Let me add...

Thats a shame! My laptop is cheap as well, and when I run WLM it does go a tiny bit slow but nothing like you are experiencing. Ouch!

Anyways good luck with the rebooting!

Collapse -
it doesn't have to just happen.
by consaka / March 17, 2007 2:39 AM PDT

there is a problem somewhere and it needs fixed. Just like a bad spark plug on your car it will still run but to run well it needs fixed.
Try searching on google for more information on tracking down memory leaks or IE7 problems.. Personally I hated IE7 so I uninstalled it. I have been building computers for 15 years. I started out by gathering the cheapest parts I could find because I and my customers didnt have alot of money. But I learned after a while that invariably this led to really strange behavior in Windows. Now I only use tried and tested Asus Motherboards. AMD 64bit dual core processors and corsair Memory. I also make sure that my power supply is a good 450 watt Antec unit minimum. Even I am surprised at how little support I have to do with these things. I stay away from vista and give xp a minimum of 1 gig of ram (prefer 2 gigs) and it just runs great.

Collapse -
No offense
by meisinscotland / March 17, 2007 2:53 AM PDT

but you sound like my college technicians: "it just happens" - that attitude I dont take kindly to. If that were me in charge I'd work hard to find out the problem.

In my college the techs use this stupid program called Clean Slate on the machines, and not only does it bog them down but it causes bluescreens everywhere, particularly during log off or shut down. Instead of using batch files or access permissions to prevent harmful changes they prefer the "we can sit on our asses" cure method. And I always go for the prevention, not cure, method.

But hey when all the students are at my door begging to use a computer that "works" I take great pleasure in saying "no".

Too many people these days mess with the computer too much and then wonder why it doesnt work.

Collapse -
Rebooting every 3-5 days. What's wrong? Nothing, they say...
by nicdeses / March 16, 2007 11:13 PM PDT

Isn't that normal?
I am using computers daily since 1986 or so and I used a lot of different systems and software (except Apple or OS2):
always the same... (oops, back in the sixties, I even worked on a mainframe terminal with perforated cards and batchprocessing and we had the same problems then)
As they say in Latin: "Nil nove sub sole" [nothing new under the sun]

Collapse -
It is not normal

Think of servers. They dont get rebooted often. My laptop only does when I take it places. Ever since I stopped using Windows Updates my system miraculously became rock stable. (XP or 2000). Too much patching just leads it to oblivion. Service packs, good free security software, passwords on the guest/admin accounts and some common sense are all you need. Oh and dont go with ZA, use XP firewall instead Wink

Collapse -
System grinding to halt?
by rfriendship / March 17, 2007 5:28 AM PDT
In reply to: It is not normal

I'm amazed at how many of you leave your machines on. Is it because of the wait during boot up or saving HD's from clean boot?
I switch off my machine every day, a habbit I guess. Never-the-less things can get slow and yes, switching off Updates has a dramatic effect on resource balance. I have to say I like my XP Pro. Many of you are using Vista, how goes it?

Collapse -
Dunno, I just do
by meisinscotland / March 17, 2007 5:54 AM PDT

When my laptop is left on my desk (weekends) it will stay on the whole time, but obviously when I take it to college etc I shut it down.

Its quite funny though when I boot up sometimes on the battery I just get a random blue screen error (I KNOW its hardware related) and then I reboot and its fine. Apart from that my system really is tickety boo..

Not only that, but its nice in the morning to wake up, move my mouse and in seconds to be able to play music (or see how popular I have been on MSN :p) rather than waiting a minute or so for it to load... I guess I am officially greedy by nature Silly

Collapse -
It is not normal...
by jpedicord / March 19, 2007 3:45 AM PDT
In reply to: It is not normal

Talking about Windows' automatic update, you may have hit on something. I have been leaving it active, because I get lazy and don't do it manually, and figure that way I am safer considering security updates they put out there so often. BUT, if you aren't careful you can get automatic updates for every program you've ever used sitting in memory and calling home on whatever intervals they think is good. OK, maybe an exaggeration, but only slightly. They could easily be the cause of the system bogging down, not to mention potential conflicts between them though. I periodically pop up Windows Task Manager and Google the memory-resident programs I don't recognize, then go on a search-and-destroy mission against whatever I don't care to have burning resources.

As for shutting down daily, I have always preferred to just put the system to sleep, but find that it seems to confuse ZoneAlarm (at least that's the prime suspect) sometimes and I have to reboot anyway, so I've been shutting down and it's not been a problem.

Collapse -
I hate Zonealarm
by meisinscotland / March 19, 2007 3:54 AM PDT
In reply to: It is not normal...

It does nothing but cause me problem on XP. (well, it did, before I saw sense and stopped using it)

XP Firewall is good enough. I went up to my college one day without the XP firewall on, and pinged my computer. Got 3/4 packets back. Pinged it again with the firewall on, got 0/4 packets back.

Self explanatory?

I also log off my system at night. It defaults to workstation settings and keeps the bad guys out! ;p Happy

Collapse -
Rebooting

nicdeses, you're right on target. At least thats been my experience for many years. Good anti-virus and anti-malware protection are a given necessity. However, many people believe that's all that is needed.
I use other untilities, such as CCleaner to take out the trash. CCleaner also has a registry cleaner which is helpful. Another program, similar to ccleaner is easycleaner. Both are free and can easily be found with Google.
I reboot the machine at least once each day, and never experience any of the problems mentioned in this thread.

Collapse -
Myself
by meisinscotland / March 17, 2007 6:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Rebooting

In the weekdays when I take my laptop to college it will get booted and shut down several times, but at the weekend when it just resides on my desk it will stay on the whole time.

I dont like CCleaner. It clears out Prefetch by default (at least I think it does) which is not a speed booster, rather a speed-crippler. I never use Registry Cleaners either, never have, never will, and I never get any problems. Could be because I usually reinstall once a year (not because I have to, because I want to) or it could be because I am reasonably sensible about software.

My friend is constantly nagging me to get "System Mechanic" and I am like euch the name says it all! If it aint broke, dont fix it. (Yea, and he is the one who always has broken systems, not me Silly )

Collapse -
Myself
by Stan Chambers / March 18, 2007 2:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Myself

Ccleaner only deletes temp files. It doesn't bother Prefetch on my XP machine. CCleaner is one of the finest utilities for cleaning your system of useless temp files that will eventually clog a system. If you're not using some method of cleaning out such, you'll likely need to reformat at least once per year just to clean out the trash.

Collapse -
Ah I c
by meisinscotland / March 18, 2007 9:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Myself

Well I use Windows Disk Clean -- and its fine for me.

Tip: If ever disk clean hangs in Windows 2000/XP, go to the registry, select "my computer" and search for "compress old" - delete the offending key. This stops disk clean searching to compress [usually a hell of a lot of] files.

I mean its just a difference of opinion, really.

Collapse -
Ah I c
by Stan Chambers / March 19, 2007 4:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Ah I c

"If ever disk clean hangs in Windows 2000/XP"

Ccleaner doesn't hang. Three clicks of the mouse and you're finished in about 10 to 15 seconds.
You're right that it's simply a matter of preference as to which cleaner you use. I used the built-in utility in Windows before I discovered Ccleaner.
An additional benefit of Ccleaner is the registry cleaner which is very handy to have. I run it after uninstalling any program to remove leftover entries in the registry. They're always there, even though we don't necessarily see them.
It also has an uninstall feature to uninstall programs, although I typically will use the Add/Remove feature in Windows.
Cheers.

Collapse -
Cool
by meisinscotland / March 19, 2007 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Ah I c

Sounds cool. Me will be downloading this proggie and faffing around with it in a VM Wink

ttyl

Collapse -
And don't forget...
by b8375629 / March 20, 2007 6:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Cool

"Sounds cool. Me will be downloading this proggie and faffing around with it in a VM"

I believe there's an option box in CCleaner you can untick that will prevent it from deleting the files in your prefetch folder, should you so desire.

CCleaner is a great program that actually reduces spyware. I've had fewer detections of spyware on my machine since using it. And that's in addition to using Spybot, SpywareBlaster etc... fully updated with the latest definitions.

Collapse -
R.E.:Rebooting every 3-5 days. What's wrong?
by MYN2007 / March 23, 2007 6:30 AM PDT

Have you tried installing Flash(the newer one is out now!!).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.