Computer Help forum

General discussion

rebooting

by lynknz / April 22, 2004 6:04 PM PDT

my computer keeps rebooting, sometimes it does it when i first turn on computer other times i can be on for hours please help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: rebooting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: rebooting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:rebooting
by frankzxcv / April 22, 2004 6:46 PM PDT
In reply to: rebooting

pls provide more info-- mobo, cpu, OS etc - fj

Collapse -
Re:Re:rebooting
by lynknz / April 23, 2004 1:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:rebooting

my puter is about 2 and a half yrs old. its a compaq, 20gbs im running windows me. its not full of rubbish as i use it mainly for playing cards or board games plus email.im sure the tower dosent switch off only the moniter. hope this info helps by the way im a older user so please message in easy understaning mode thank you

Collapse -
by Mystcal1 / April 22, 2004 9:24 PM PDT

Hi: First I need to know what operating system you are using. Is it Windows 95 or Windows XP Home Edition?

Collapse -
by lynknz / April 23, 2004 2:03 PM PDT

hi im running windows me, the puter is about 30 months old, used mainly for playing board, and card games plus emails, im a older user so not up to much with technical terms, im sure the tower dosnt turn off only the moniter. thanks

Collapse -
by Mystcal1 / April 23, 2004 2:46 AM PDT

Hi do you have windows 98 or windows xp. How big is your hard drive, do you know? Nancy

Collapse -
by lynknz / April 23, 2004 2:08 PM PDT

hi my puter is a compac, about 30months old im running windows me, 20gbs, puter used mainly for playing board and card games plus email, ive got plenty of spare space so its not clogged up with rubbish, i do scans, defrags, have virus checker. im a older user so not up with technical jargon, so please explain in easy mode. thanks

Collapse -
by homeboy / April 24, 2004 12:34 PM PDT

In the last seven and a half years, of building computers, I have garnered the following information with reference to sudden and unwanted reboot problems.

#1 Not enough power, this fact comes in two forms and are many times related. A 'too small' power supply can cause this problem. A toy or extra device plugged into the same power leads from the power supply also causes this problem. More than two drives should never plugged into the same power feed. Rule of thumb, the HEAVIER the power supply, the better and closer to true rated wattage output it will have. A heavy 400 watt P/s, with more than one Cooling Fan, will have 400 watts of output. I have mesured some cheap 400 watt Power Supplies, that weigh the same or less than a 250, that don't have 300 watts of power output.

#2 A defective periferal will cause this problem. Depending on the temperature and moisture in the air, this problem can drive you insane. I always have extra EVERYTHING while building computers. Ram, Video Cards, The new ATA boards for adding four more drives to your system, these can all have a little poltergiest somewhere in their workings that only raise problems when you least want them.

Before you start tearing your computer apart and trying other pieces, try this first. Pull everything off the motherboard and carefully re-insert the cards and RAM, remove them again and insert them a second time before screwing them down again. Every older computer, that comes to me with complaints about piss-poor running, starts to behave after this "Contact Cleaning" job. A job I charge $30,00 for and only takes twenty minutes. But 99% of the time the 'problem' goes away. Try it, it just might work.

Collapse -
by lynknz / April 24, 2004 6:07 PM PDT

HI, I TOOK BACK OFF PUTER CLEANED THE DUST OFF FANS, AND AROUND THE MOTHERBOARD ETC, SO FAR SO GOOD, I WOULDNT ATTEMT TO TAKE STUFF OF MOTHER BOARD UNLESS I WAS WITH SOMEONE WHO KNEW ABOUT PUTERS,IM OLDER PERSON AND NOT UP WITH THE INSIDE WORKING OF PUTERS. ILL SEE HOW IT GOES. THANKS A LOT FOR UR HELP.
LYN

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:rebooting
by chuckieu / April 25, 2004 2:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Re:rebooting

Before taking things off of the Motherboard, try this.
Leave the cover off on one side and run this way for a while. If the problem goes away, there is an overheating issue. Post back either way and we'll try to help from there. chuck

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:rebooting
by lynknz / April 25, 2004 9:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Re:Re:rebooting

HI, IVE TAKEN COVER OFF, DUSTED INSIDE AND CLEANED FANS, ALSO TOOK OUT A BIT OF METAL BRACKET THAT WAS LEFT LYING IN THE BOTTOM OF TOWER SO FAR FOR 2 DAYS HAS BEEN RUNNING OK

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.