PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Reboot Problem

I am running win-xp-he os.My motherboard is a GigaByte GA-7VT600-L with the latest upgrade BIOS (Award). The MB supports 3gb DDR PC 2700 memory. I had been running with two 512mb DDR sticks. I added an additional stick of 256mb DDR in the third memory socket. All works well except when I reboot; I get a series of long beeps. I can hit my reset button and the PC boots to windows normally. When I restart the PC after complete shutdown, everything works normally. What is my problem?

Thanks,
Ray Savage

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reboot Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reboot Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Reboot Problem

In reply to: Reboot Problem

As you add RAM, two things happen. The memory system slows a little and the power supply needs are higher. Unless you have a power supply of at least 100 watts more than you think you need, the issue is typical. If the power is sufficient, and it fails the initial POST, then you call the motherboard supplier and have them swap it out.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Reboot Problem

Bob:

Thanks for your reply and suggestions. My power supply is 400 watts which should be sufficient. I have had some other minor intermittent issues that made me suspect the a power supply problem. Since they're not all that expensive and fairly simple to replace, I think I may try that first.

Best regards,
Ray

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Reboot Problem

Collapse -
"Mismatch"

In reply to: Reboot Problem

Ray:

I am running an A7N8X mother board with two 512m sticks of DDR 2700 as a test machine. One of the sticks has 8chips and one of the sticks has 16 chips, so you see the memory is mismatched. Every so often the little voice on the "voice active reporting system" informs me that the board failed the memory test. The board continues to boot through and I find that I have 1g of memory available. It appears that these newer boards are quite sensitive to the type and match of memory that you have on board. for instance, I try and boot with PC 3100 memory, which the board is capable of using, but I get hangs and failure to boot. The memory is a generic type, so I attribute this to not using recommended memory that the board manufacturer recommends. I can drop back to 2100 memory and not a peep of failure.

In my opinion, I think that these boards are not quite ready for prime time, and only run under laboratory conditions.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.