HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Reboot after waking up from standby

by jcorreia97 / October 26, 2006 7:14 AM PDT

I purchased a VAIO desktop VGC-RB42G in August and it initially worked fine. A few weeks ago it would reboot after waking from standby. Then it would need to reboot multiple times. It was apparent it would get further with each reboot. I got an error that windows did not start properly with the option of starting in safe mode, going to a previous configuration, or normally. SONY Support recommended going back to a configuration that pre-dated the start of these symptoms but there was no change. Then this week Windows (XP Media) would not start at all. SONY support recommended reformatting. I dod so and put some of my basic software back ( Verizon internet, Office, Sonic Stage 4, Avast) but still no change. SONY Support said if the reformat didn't work there is a hardware issue. If I turn off standby there is no issue. The machine will reboot fine. Short stand bys are not a problem either. This problem requires a stand by of a few hours at least. At one point there was an errorand the report went to Microsoft. I got back a message to visit the Intel site where there the recommendation weas to update the display driver. I did that before the reformat and no change. Before I go to SONY service I was hoping to collect your opinions. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reboot after waking up from standby
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reboot after waking up from standby
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Windows, Standby and Hibernation
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 26, 2006 8:20 AM PDT

Windows has never really handled standby very well and there has always been issues.

Here are just a couple of discussions about standby in these forums. There are many other posts you can find usng the Search option;

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=50319&messageID=601860
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7813-0.html?forumID=8&threadID=34255&messageID=395260

It may be be easier if you ditched standby and hibernate for simple screen saver and turn off the monitor, or complete power down, whenever the computer is to be unused for a while.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks.
by jcorreia97 / October 27, 2006 1:41 AM PDT

Thanks, Mark. I did search standby but didn't find any with the reboot problem I'm going through. They seem to be either won't go into standby or won't wake up. The solution seems universal, though. Just don't use the standby.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.