TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

reasons why to wait for HD big screen TV?

by supermegadork / November 15, 2005 11:21 PM PST

I am looking to upgrade my TV, and am thinking about the Mitsu or Samsung DLP TVs. Probably with a 50" or 56" model, somewhere around there. I would like the new 1080I or is it 1080P resolution?

Anyways, I would like to know the reasons why I should wait to purchase the TV. As we all know, it is best to avoid some of the initial builds on new models of cars because of the various recalls and quality problems that need to be fixed. Why wait on the TV side?

I do know this one. Some TVs come with the capability of inseting a cable card, but at this point they are only 1 way so if you want video on demand, you still need a box.

I think I read on another forum that not all TVs have the HDMI input.

So, list them out for me and tell me why I should wait.

I also may have read that the TVs use artificial upconversion or something like that.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: reasons why to wait for HD big screen TV?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: reasons why to wait for HD big screen TV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
reasons to wait...
by soehartoe / November 15, 2005 11:47 PM PST

My reasons to wait...

no HDTV has a 1080p input....(except HP DLPs, but they run 1080p @24fps, instead of full 60fps)

Reasons for 1080p input:
PS3, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray DVD, and the future of full HDTV 1080p broadcasts...

1080p is 1920*1080 running at 60 frames per second...
where as 1080i (currently available) runs at 30 frames per second..that's why 1080p has a smoother & better picture.

All 1080p TVs out right now has no actual 1080p input, they just upconvert 1080i/720p/480i/p signals...

I suggest you wait until 2006, when real 1080p tvs will have actual 1080p inputs.

Collapse -
reasons to wait... and wait and wait and wait
by jcrobso / November 16, 2005 2:18 AM PST
In reply to: reasons to wait...

"Reasons for 1080p input:
PS3, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray DVD, and the future of full HDTV 1080p broadcasts..".
About the only thing that you can count on is PS3 at 1080p.

The HD-DVD wars are just staring there will be causalities, thoes who bought the loosing player (Ok fees up how many of you have that Beta player).

As for broadcast 1080p don't hold your breath waiting for this!! 1080p requires a BIG bandwidth, SO far NBC, ABC, the local PBS stations are broadcasting 2 or more sub channels for alternate programming. They would have to give them up to do full 1080p,,plus they just spent the money on getting 1080i.

"no HDTV has a 1080p input....(except HP DLPs, but they run 1080p @24fps, instead of full 60fps)"
So if you had a full 1080p source this TV would be throwing away 36 frams a second.

If you wait for the perfect TV you will never buy one.
But the number of of 1080p TVs should be higher next or so. John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!