Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Reasons Why I Downgraded To XP From Vista!

I just downgraded to Xp Professional from Vista Ultimate! And all I can say is WOW!!!! WOW!!!! WOW!!!! All of my problems are gone now!!! YES!!!
I have a custom built pc. Its Asus P5B Deluxe board, E6600 Intel CPU. 3GIGs of Mushkin Performance Pro Memory, Vista x86 edition will not recognize 4 gigs...

I was really trying to make it to work for 2 month. Reinstalled it like 5 times. Always did a clean install. And I finally gave up!

Problems I had with Vista Ultimate are:
Blue Screen Of Death
Takes like 15 minutes for it to start, not all the time though, even after turning almost everything off in msconfig startup option.
Internet Explorer keeps freezing up.
Simple copy and paste takes forever.
System clicks for some reason, feels like the harddrive is dying on you. I have 6 harddrives in my system.
Sometimes it will not shutdown, when I press shutdown, or will not restart. Takes forever...
After a few days when installed vista, computer becomes extremely slow.

I updated the bios, installed all new vista drivers, did everything I possibly could to make it to work. No luck =(

Most of the software that I use worked on it, so there is no complains.

I can't beleive Microsoft charges $400 for Ultimate Vista and it is so not ready! I think Windows Millenium was so much better. I didn't had so many problems with it.

I installed Windows XP Professional Back! And WOW! I can actually get something done now. I don't have the time fighting with Vista.

If you never tried Vista yet, my advise to you: DON'T even bother! At least untill SP2 or SP3 comes out. And I have a feeling that they will never make it to work. Its just takes too many of your system resources.

Anybody outter had similar problems with Windows Vista?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reasons Why I Downgraded To XP From Vista!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reasons Why I Downgraded To XP From Vista!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes!!! Just about all the things you experience!

In reply to: Reasons Why I Downgraded To XP From Vista!

I have been trying to make Vista work for 9 months. Preparing to re-format and do somethings else next week.

Good luck... you have my sympathies! It's a PITA!

Glenn

Collapse -
vista

In reply to: Yes!!! Just about all the things you experience!

since i purchased vista ultimate i have re installed it about 6 times to date due to problems, and im trying my hardest to deal with vista as i ve payed out for it and to be honest wish i didnt now.

as lovely as it is to look at it just doesnt work well at all the symptoms ive had with vista are;

freezing on start up and having to re start
icons disapering from the screen
so many driver problems to programs
automatically closing programs down
and many other silly little problems.

im giving this program another month or so and if it hasnt got better with time and updates etc im going back to xp as it really is far more stable, microsoft shouldnt have started selling vista so soon and it should still be at the testing stages as far as im concerned! i have base score of 5.2 with vista but it just aswell say 0.1 the way it crashes all the time! rant over.

Collapse -
Great!

In reply to: vista

Ok! Great! At least I wasn't only one who had problems with Vista. I hate Vista now. I will stick with XP probably until new windows vill come out.

Vista did not recognized all of my hardware in my system. XP did. Like flash card reader for my camera.

Plus Microsoft forces people to buy new pc's with Vista. Friend of mine just bout a new Gateway laptop with Vista. He called in to Gateway and asked them about downgrade to XP. They said that your warranty will be void if you downgrade and they don't have any drivers for XP. You have to go to hardware manufacturer and download XP drivers. Thats totally not right, they have to provide XP/Vista/Linux drivers on their website. But seems like Microsoft forces them to sell CRAPPY Vista to their clients. Idiots!

Collapse -
vista probs

In reply to: Great!

a guy at the place where i work purcahsed a toshiba laptop with vista installed on it from a well known pc seller, and had all sorts of problems with it so in the end he took it back and they agreed to give him credit instore and he managed to get a packard bell with xp on it instead and with the rest of the credit he just brought a few upgrades for it, he even said he knows the laptops spec isnt as good as the vista one he had but at least he can turn it on and it will work as it should! i may start a vista haters forum! the amount of people i know who have had problems is unbeliveble

Collapse -
Vista with a Toshiba U305-S5107

In reply to: vista probs

Vista behaves quite well with this machine on which it was factory installed...except that many of my XP programs will not work with it - in some cases the so called 'patches' don't help. All in all I would rather have had XP and a $50 rebate.

Collapse -
Vista - No Problems

In reply to: vista probs

Tried Vista, gave up, reinstalled XP Pro, decided to cure the problem once and for all so today I ordered a 24" IMac! That is absolutely the best computer you can have on your desktop. With Parallels or boot camp you can alway run windoze if you have to.

Collapse -
Here! Here! Vista is garbage

In January I purchased a new 15" widescreen Centrino Duo 2 laptop with 2gig of memory and a 120 gig hard drive. At the time, the manufacturers were making great promises about the Vista upgrade raincheck so I bought it and waited for the rebate disk.

After upgrading to Vista, I ran the advisor and found that my NEW laptop is considered too weak to run Vista and the major enhancements the new operating system was supposed to carry! The advisor gave me such a low score and that really ticked me off!! I ran the advisor on my 6 year old laptop and received better upgrade checklist results!!

I am SO turned off by Microsoft that I plan on heading down to the nearest Apple store and purchasing a Macbook Pro in the next two weeks!

Collapse -
MacBook Pro

In reply to: Here! Here! Vista is garbage

I should have added that I bought a MacBook Pro several months ago and it is bullet proof! And again with parallels I can run that one windoze program I need for my investments. I know that they are practically giving away minimal windoze notebooks, but I wanted to buy a quality product and the MacBook fills the bill.

Collapse -
Windows Vista

I purchased a computer with Vista and couldn't do anything. It was terrible. Tried to remove it from the computer and install XP Home and couldn't. Spoke to someone on the phone and they said something about it being imbedded in the hard drive. So we did the only thing we could do and that was to buy a NEW hard drive and install XP into it. Now it works great. The hard drive with Vista is setting in a box. HATED IT.

Collapse -
Reason why I downgraded to XP from Vista

YES YES YES - I had a problem with a new computer which also had Vista I returned the computer and bought another.Luckily I could get it with XP. I am soooooooooooo happy with my computer again.

Collapse -
Vista

In reply to: Reason why I downgraded to XP from Vista

A few months ago I built a computer for a lady and installed Vista. My big mistake. I tried for two weeks to get a dialup modem that would work. Finally crossed that hurdle. Nothing seemed to work right from the start. Since I was on a time table I removed the hard drive, put in new drive and installed XP Home. Delivered it and it has worked fine. When I get time I will use the hard drive again, but not with Vista.

Collapse -
No problems with Vista

In reply to: Reason why I downgraded to XP from Vista

I built a new computer in March I had XP, then installed Vista as dual boot in case of trouble. Have not used XP since, everything works great, had no problems at all.
The only thing I had a problem with, was my Motorola V3 phone that I couldn't find a driver for USB connection, but have since been able to find the driver and all is well.
I then upgraded my 3 year old computer to Vista and have not had any problems with it either.

Collapse -
(^$%&* Vista

YES, I agree; it is crap! My rant lives at http://www.sticksite.com/vista/
Had Vista HP for about 9 months now and still HATE it. Now all my USB ports have died; can't even back up my files now. Yikes, Bill, GET WITH THE PROGRAM!
Pray for LINUX.

Collapse -
Mine is beautiful

My new HP's (I bought 2 in February 07) both work beautifully running Vista. I even have 64 Bit Ultimate on my laptop and EVERYTHING works perfectly. All my software runs, my boot times are 20 - 30 seconds. It runs fast, it looks nice shiny and new. I've had 1 BSD since February because I installed a bad driver for my webcam. That was fixed by booting into safe mode and uninstalling.

This machine will multitask like none other I've owned. Graphics are awesome. Multimedia on Vista is awesome. I would never go back to an 8 year old O/S. Why bother?

I have only one complaint and that is the damn folder views do not stick. They seem to have thier own mind. Other than that Microsoft didn't go far enough. I would have like a more radical change, but Vista is not a bad start.

Collapse -
Who are you really?

In reply to: Mine is beautiful

Tell the truth .... Are you Mrs Bill Gates? <grin>

Collapse -
we've got another convert

I got a dell inspiron 1501 laptop with a basic configuration w/extended battery. Vista basic was on it and I finished the installation 3 hours later. Vista ran ok, but it took way too long to boot and shutdown (15+ minutes) Plus, my antivirus program was incompatible with vista. The reason it was so slow as i discovered, was that the computer was running in power conservation mode. But i was able to get 6+ hours out of the battery starting from vista setup to finishing at a clean install of xp. I'll probably be able to get 7-8 hours if i'm really careful.

Collapse -
Reasons for not downgrading from vista

Hi,
I have 2 computers running Vista, one being a Toshiba Laptop and the other a Fujitsu. Both came with XP Pro installed but I upgraded to Vista when available due to free upgrade. I had prob installing on Fujitsu PC until I disconnected all appliances other than keyboard and mouse and then hey presto no problem installing. I can say apart from a few small peculiarities I have had no major probs. Vista boots up quicker than XP did. I as a Stock Trader use 4 screens(2 on each computer) all day long and I need reliability and I am quite happy to recommend Windows Vista to anyone. I might add Networking seems to be much better and where I had problems with connectivity to my wireless Router when using XP those have now disappeared. I do think Vista is a different animal and needs to be treated with respect.

Collapse -
Vista

Our old Compaq was dying and they had a new HP at the store with Vista on it and we got it. Like you said, blue screen of death, Slow.., Slower stop! ect...
When we found out some of the things we had wouldn't work on Vista I went down to a place that had manufactured rebuilds from Dell. The one I bought had XP pro in it and it was an amazing machine. I kept having problem after problem and I had had all I could stand about the HP. I got a little crazy on day and in desperation downloaded Vista Home Premium in it. I was able to get the bugs out of mine really easier than I thought it would be. The Dell, Rock study!!!! Even the games I had in the HP would play on the Dell!!!
After getting mine all set up I started working on the HP. As of this post, I have been trying to get the HP to work and it is no dice!! I did finally get rid of the Blue screen of death and it is faster than it was but it will never be as good as the Dell!!
I would say that it makes a big difference in what system or board you use as to whether it will work with Vista. I have thought of trying the Ultimate version of Vista in both to see if it helps the HP, but don't want to spend $400.00 on another OS right now.

Collapse -
Vista woes

I purchased a new HP computer with the new Vista OS. It took me 6 weeks and three trips to the computer fix-it shop to get it running reasonably well. The majority of problems were because most of my XP related software would not hit a lick with Vista. None of my 3 printers, 2 of them HP, would work either. I have now had to invest in new software and some hardware, include replacing my Linksys Wireless B with Linksys Wireless G. Thankfully, the computer shop was able to jury-rig drivers to make the printers work again. Oddly, my old DOS/Windows 95 Bicycle Card game that is 14 years old, loaded up and works fine. JASC Paint Shop Pro 7, designed for XP, also works without a hitch, but those are the only two programs that I got to work. My MS FrontPage 2002 website editor will not work with Vista and switching to its replacement, MS Expression Web, has been a nightmare---Expression scrambles my current web site hyperlinks when trying to revise pages. Expression may be better, but it may take several hours to learn the new program and I will need to make major page revisions.

Now that I am almost back to normal, I think Vista may be a slight improvement over XP, but I would not recommend anyone buying Vista unless they absolutely had to. Wait until MS gets all the compatibility bugs out of it---if ever. By the way, calling MS tech service will cost you $49 per call and then they weren't much help.

Collapse -
Windows Vista Ultimate

I have actually been using Windows Vista Ultimate since it came out. The day it came out i ordered it on an HP Pavilion d4790y and i have experienced few problems with it. I have 2 GB of RAM, a Intel Core 2 Duo processor and an Nvidia graphics card. I edit video with Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 along with other things and the worst i have experienced was a freeze but vista automatically rebooted explorer. I don't know if it's just me but Vista works great and i would never go back to xp. I guess it depends on how you use the computer, but still. My Vista computer runs better than my other 8 computers with xp profesional.

Collapse -
VISTA Haters of the World Unite

I bought brand new dell computer, that would be April 2007. It had vista installed and I was happy. After 6 weeks, several crashes, inability to use programs, security alerts to beat the band, and on and on, I became totally frustrated and uninstalled it. Not a good idea, I lost everything!!! Luckily I had back up. You cannot simply uninstall Vista. Do a google search on how to uninstall Vista. It seems to be embedded in the hard drive. After I downgraded, I am still having some difficulty with operating XP on a once Vista hard drive, so it may be better to go the new hard drive route to be safe.

So much for freedom of choice with something that you bought!!! It's a conspiracy between Microsoft and all its cronies, and that list is endless. Whenever it crashes or hangs, check out the program, or utility, bet it's in bed with Microsoft.

When I first started to have trouble, it was hard to find compatriots. Glad you're out there. Told all my friends who are doing more than loving the pretty colors and animations and want to get down to some serious business, multitasking, using old programs, etc. STAY AWAY FROM VISTA, IT'S WORTH THE MONEY TO DOWNGRADE BEFORE YOU PURCHASE!!!

And believe me, you will have to pay to downgrade to XP, now is that or is that not a conspiracy????

Check it, and be careful... Nana
ps heard IMac is giving Microsoft a run for its money, any truth in that rumor???

Collapse -
"Make the Switch"

In reply to: VISTA Haters of the World Unite

After the absolutely abismal customer support experience with Dell, I vowed to never buy a Dell again. Very long story for all details, however basically my Inspiron 2100 notebook monitor became faulty...Dell attempted to fix, but made it worse... Dell ended up replacing with refurbished Inspiron 2650. Dell claimed it was "better" because it was a faster CPU, however if you know much about travelling with laptops frequently, an 8 pound package that is nominally faster is not "better" than a slower 3.5 pound package when portability is your main concern! Nonetheless, countless hours of support availed nothing but refusal to replace with like model (even though there we're about 15 available on their refurbished site; they refused to replace the identical model I had with those available!) Anyway, I finally got fed up enough to "make the switch" to a MacBookPro last January and have LOVED it ever since. And now, I have been using VMWare Fusion to run Windows XP Home edition, too, on it, (only because my work's webmail program requires Windows for the Active Card Gold smart-card security... otherwise I have no need to bother... but it works flawlessly). On a side note, I also purchased a new HP laptop with Vista for our Grandparents. Once received I deleted all the shareware and unnessary software installed from the factory, then added MS Office XP Pro with no problems. We then mailed it off to them and they basically have had no problems with Vista in their case. Granted they use it in a minimalist fashion; Internet, Outlook email, occasional MSN Messenger video chat and a card program. That's it... and no major problems. Again, not power users, but they do love the interface. That's our only experience with Vista... of the little I used it, I liked the interface, however I really have not heard positive experiences from anyone else!

Collapse -
Reasons Why I Downgraded To XP From Vista!

Ditto! From Vickie

Collapse -
windows vista

well now i see i'm not alone... yes i did upgrade to vista and yes, my games and some other programs like my tv wouldn't work then i sent the vista back to dell and got a refund. But then i had a brain storm. would you like to know how i fixed all my problems?... sure you do well here it is.
first let me tell you what i wanted to do, i wanted to be able to play all my games and use all my programs and use vista for my office stuff but together that was a bad idea, so what i did was i partinition my drive so i can have both xp and vista, so when i played my games or watch tv i would boot up in xp mode, and when it was time for me to play office i would boot up in vista mode, now i have both worlds. but there is one catch... I needed to get a large notebook drive to store all my data for vista becouse my hard drive wasn't big aunogh to handle both OS and all the data.
wow it works fine now also for the speed problem you have, you will need to upgrade your system to a duel core prossesor. i was lucky to have done this first. my system didn't slow down at all and all my programs work. no crashes. and NO BLUE SCREEN. I don't have all the drives you have and i can see where you would have a speed problem you might want to store all the drives away and get you one large drive to keep all you data on part from you drive that holds the two OS. as for me i couldn't be happer with my system now, it like haveing a new computer. good luck.

Collapse -
YOU WILL USE VISTA and like it...

In reply to: windows vista

Someone mentioned freedom of choice earlier. That's exactly what this is about. The imperial behavior of Microsoft is due purely to it's strangle-hold on the PC market. Few other software developers would ever make such a greedy, self-serving move. It's one thing to drop a new OS and use your customers as guinea pigs while you work out the bugs; it's another thing to force hardware manufacturers to install your unstable software on all of their machines.

I don't imagine any of them, from HP to Toshiba or Dell and others, volunteering to ship all of their brand new excellent designs loaded with a hope and a prayer.

Shame on Microsoft. And shame on us for allowing it.

Collapse -
Windows Vista Ultiamte is Still Better

I have expeirenced the same problems on my Windows Vista Ultimate system.

Blue Screen Of Death
Internet Explorer keeps freezing up. *For me about once a day
System clicks for some reason, feels like the harddrive is dying on you. I have *1 harddrives in my system.
Sometimes it will not shutdown, when I press shutdown, or will not restart. Takes forever...

Other problems you mentioned I did not expierience.

Only considering my problems, there are much more benifits that come with Windows Vista Ultimate. You can get more done on your PC with less hunting & less clicking - and a lot more fun. I could name like 10 other things that Windows Vista Ultimate offers.

Collapse -
Vista

I have never tried Vista. When it first came out, I did a review of my system (as instructed) and was found to not have the resources I need to install and use Vista successfully. That being said, from all the negative things I have heard abt. Vista, it's prob. a good thing that I couldn't install Vista & it sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

Collapse -
I vote for Vista

I bought a Gateway notebook with XP installed last December with an offer for a free upgrade to Vista. After waiting a few months to be sure the programs I liked had were Vista compatible I upgraded and will never go back. Vista takes only about 15 sec longer to boot, but once it does, it is much speedier than XP. My only problem has been that DVD Shrink doesn't work well any longer.

Collapse -
How do you download back to XP?

I have a new computer with Vista pre-installed. Frankly I hate it, for a variety of reasons, many of which have already been mentioned in this thread. My question is, how does one downgrade back to XP again, and/or can a computer contain BOTH Vista and XP and give us the option of using either one or the other??? (I suppose I would have to spend $$$ to order XP again and then install it on my new computer.)

Collapse -
You can dual-boot...

In reply to: How do you download back to XP?

The setup of having two operating systems installed at the same time is called dual-booting, and you can indeed dual-boot XP with Vista. Yes, you'd have to purchase a copy of XP to do so, but once you have it you can shrink the Vista partition, create a new secondary partition, and install XP there. Unfortunately installing XP causes Vista to be temporarilly unbootable, though that can be solved within a couple minutes by running Startup Repair on Vista.

If you wish to revert to XP entirely, you can perform a clean installation of XP just like you would on any other computer, though some have reported having to run DBAN or the like first to prevent problems from arising, so it's definitely a good idea. Note, however, that your files and programs won't survive, so be sure to back them all up and prepare to reinstall everything from scratch.

If you order/receive your copy of XP and need further instruction just give us a shout.

John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!