Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Reasonable priced ink cartridges????

by slamina / September 30, 2005 7:07 AM PDT

Anyone out there know of a place that sells Lexmark ink cartridges, that are remanufactured, refilled or replaced by for a better price than $19.99? Wow, do they ever make a killing on these things. Thanks, Slamina

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reasonable priced ink cartridges????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reasonable priced ink cartridges????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Reasonable priced ink cartridges????
by Stan Chambers / September 30, 2005 1:30 PM PDT

You should give the model number of your printer. It likely that someone has the same model and will know where to find the best buy.
I through out my lexmark printer a few years ago for an Epson. Cheaper ink cartridges and better quality printing.
I usually order from the site with the best deal of the day. Some will periodically offer incentives, such as extra cartridges or free shipping. It pays to shop around.
These are a few of the sites that I've used.
123inkjets.com, Your Ink Cartridges, Printer Ink Warehouse, Atlantic Ink. A Google search will reveal many more.

Collapse -
curious about InkSell.com
by linkit / September 30, 2005 2:01 PM PDT

I haven't tried them, but Kim Komando (nationally syndicated computer show on radio) endorses InkSell.com. I have always wondered how good they are.

Collapse -
Why not refill them yourself?
by John.Wilkinson / September 30, 2005 2:17 PM PDT

You can purchase a refill kit for under $20, which includes enough ink for several refills. Personally, I use the brand ''Universal'' (available from Walmart), which is about the same quality as HP's (my printer manufacturer), and I've had no problems with leaking, fading/smearing, etc. This is by far the most economical method of obtaining more ink. However, there are catches. First, it can be a little messy if you're not careful, so always do this over a plastic bag. Second, make sure you follow the directions exactly, as a mistake could lead to all of the ink running out of the cartridge. Finally, some printers have countermeasures installed to prevent the end user from refilling the cartridge. Fore instance, some Epson printers require a chip resetter, while most HP's can usually be fooled by a piece of tape.

Just click here to go to the company's website, select your printer make and cartridge number from the drop-down menu, and see if any special procedure/products is required.

Hope this helps,
John

P.S. Since profit margins are so low on printers themselves, manufacturers make up for it by charging extremely high prices for their ink cartridges. Luckilly the end user has always found a way to bypass the anti-tampering methods used by companies such as HP and Epson.

P.P.S. Refilling your ink cartridge does not void your printer's warrenty, but the manufacturer will not cover any damages (most commonly staining) caused by a remanufactured or refilled cartridge.

Collapse -
I have to agree.
by Stan Chambers / October 1, 2005 1:41 AM PDT

With Lexmark, that's probably the most economical method.
I have an old HP printer that I have refilled many times. However with my Epson, I've found it cheaper to buy the generic cartridges than refill them.

Collapse -
think i'll try this refill kit
by slamina / October 1, 2005 3:44 AM PDT
In reply to: I have to agree.

Ah...no wonder I've always found my cartridges so high priced. Guess I will never buy another Lexmark. I'm not anymore impressed w/the printing. And no way would I give anyone that kind of money for a replacement!! I did refill my Canon so may try this one too. Thanks for all of you adding to my post. Slamina

Collapse -
Easy Lexmark refill, works for me
by pluther / October 7, 2005 4:52 PM PDT

I got the Universal kit (black ink only) at Walmart, and it has a syringe with a long, narrow needle, a screw to enlarge the tiny hole on the top of the Lexmark cartridge, and several bottles of ink. I don't even remove the cartridge, but refill it in the printer. If you have tissue handy, you can blot up any leak. This has lasted for a long time, and prints great copies. To be safe, you can refill it out of the printer. Sure beats $27 cartridges.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?