Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Rearrangement of IE7 addresbar/toolbar/command bar

I only just changed from IE6 to IE7 after I got several sites "telling" me that they would no longer support IE6.
In this forum I have read that many people before me had an issue with the layout of IE7, but I cannot really find what I need.
In IE6, I had two bars at the top of my screen: 1) a combination of the address bar and the menubar ("File/Edit/View etc.) and 2) a combination of the Google search bar and the IE links bar.

In IE7, it seems the address bar (+ search function) and the command bar are locked permanently, so with the Google toolbar, that makes three.

In this forum (http://forums.cnet.com/5207-6620_102-0.html?forumID=14&threadID=247371), I found out how to remove the IE7 searchbar and/or the command bar, but what I would really like is to combine the addressbar again with the Filemenu (or the Command bar icons that are used for similar functions, like Favorites etc.) into one single bar. I don't need the full width of my screen for the address, but I would like to have quick buttons for Favorites etc.; besides, e.g. the "full screen/F11" button is only available on the command bar.

Is there any way to do that and get my 'own' IE6 type screen layout back? I can live without the tabbing function of the command bar, I prefer not to use that anyway.

Or should I just uninstall IE7 and go back to IE6 again?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Rearrangement of IE7 addresbar/toolbar/command bar
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Rearrangement of IE7 addresbar/toolbar/command bar
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
edit of first post above

In reply to: Rearrangement of IE7 addresbar/toolbar/command bar

Collapse -
May not be possible

In reply to: edit of first post above

I'm sure you you are going to get everything the way you prefer in the new IE7.

One thing though, if you prefer the old File/Edit/View toolbar to always be visible, you can right click the bar where the tabs are, then select Menu Bar. You may already be aware of that.

Checking Google, I came across an IE7 add-on that appears to replace the current Address bar combo with a fully customizable version. It is called Quero, a free add-on, and more details here;
http://howto.helpero.com/howto/Customize-IE7-Toolbars_72.html

I haven't tried this, so know little about it, but I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
If you do not use the tabbing functionality...

In reply to: Rearrangement of IE7 addresbar/toolbar/command bar

You can remove the Tabbed Browsing Toolbar, Command Bar, and Search Bar, leaving you with just the address bar. After that you could add the Google toolbar for a second line, then press Alt on demand to display the tradition File/Edit/Bookmarks menu. That's as close as you can get unless "Quero" can enable you to place the Google toolbar on the same line as itself.

John

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: If you do not use the tabbing functionality...

Thanks for all the answers so far. I'll check out the other browsers/ add ons, but for the moment I have just gone back to IE6: I didn't like the refresh etc. buttons to the right of the addressbar either, missed the image toolbar and though there were a few things I liked better in IE7 (image zoom in mainly; apparently the printing options are nice as well but I don't do a lot of webpage printing anyway), I feel more at home in IE6.
Maybe I'm getting old Happy, but I don't like change for the sake of changes (I still prefer classic view as well) and I didn't feel IE7 came with enough useful things to 'overcome' my irritations. IE8 seems to be in the make, wonder what that will be like....?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.