TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Rear surround effect missing with Pro Logic II

by jmcollishaw / April 26, 2006 7:07 PM PDT

I have an Onkyo TX-SR302 receiver connected to a Pioneer 5.1 speaker system.
When I'm listening to stereo sources such as television or FM radio, there is no sound output from the two rear surround speakers. I get output only from the center channel speaker, two front side speakers and subwoofer. The output mode is Prologic II Music.
When I listen to digital sources such as DVDs (in Dolby Digital mode), then I get good effects from the rear surround speakers as well, but while listening to analog sources there is no sound at all from the rear surround speakers.

Is that normal? Any idea why is there no output from the rear surround speakers? Is there anything I can do to improve the situation?

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Rear surround effect missing with Pro Logic II
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Rear surround effect missing with Pro Logic II
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Normal, yep. . .
by Coryphaeus / April 26, 2006 9:26 PM PDT

You have to understand the signal input. If the source is 5.1 (as in from a DVD or TV Hi-def) then you'll get the full effect. The logic circuits in the receiver can tell what the input is, and if it's 5.1 it'll send to the surround speakers. If the input is standard 2 channel stereo (as in regular TV or FM) the receiver outputs to the front only, with bass. You named it in your comment:

"When I listen to digital sources such as DVDs (in Dolby Digital mode), then I get good effects from the rear surround speakers as well, but while listening to analog sources there is no sound at all from the rear surround speakers."

The receiver is working perfectly.

Collapse -
But then...
by jmcollishaw / April 26, 2006 9:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Normal, yep. . .

Dolby Pro Logic II is supposed to be capable of decoding full 5 channels from the stereo input signal. At least that is what the Dolby website claims. If that is true, then why is that it is not able to decode any information pertaining to the rear surround speakers?

Collapse -
Because. . .
by Coryphaeus / April 26, 2006 9:36 PM PDT
In reply to: But then...

"Analog" sources (FM radio and standard TV) are not 5.1. There are no discrete 5 channels in this signal.

Some receivers like my RCA Pro have a setting for "Simulated Surround" from an analog source. It will send a lower level to the rear speakers. Your receiver may have this also.

Collapse -
Not so true...
by wwywong / September 15, 2006 7:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Because. . .

I have a entry level Sony receiver that does pro logic II, when it is in pro logic II music mode, it DOES have sound coming out from the rear speakers. Now I didn't do deep research to test it so to figure out whether the sound from the rear are really distinct (Rear L and Rear R), but i can confirm you that sound does come out from the rear when you are in pro logic II music mode. Of cuz, the sound is not as great as real dolby digital or DTS, since those are real 5.1. Pro logic II simply decode the stereo and ''interpret'' the signal into 5 seperate channels...

So if your rear spkr really doesn't even have tiny sound coming out in pro logic II music mode, then you might need to check with diff music. (some music have more distinct sound in the rear, while some might be relatively quiet.)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?