TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

REAR , OR FRONT PROJECT HI-DEF ?

by stewart norrie / June 18, 2005 5:08 AM PDT

I just upgraded my home theater to hi-def I have the Sony kp-wv600 rear project t.v and the dish network 811 satillate system using a d.v.i. interface cable, but after seeing front project systems at a high end vidio store I was blown away but the price tag of these projectors were way out of reach for me. problem is I only have about $3500 to spend on the projector and I can never find one on disply so I have no idea what the picture looks like, I did get a quote on a sony projector and 16x9 screen for a total of $6000 but the dealer hat the throw the image on a wall so I have no idea how good the picture is please respond in closing I just joined this chat room and I would like to hear from you nice hi-def junkies stewart norrie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: REAR , OR FRONT PROJECT HI-DEF ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: REAR , OR FRONT PROJECT HI-DEF ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Rear or Front Hi-Def Projector
by slmosqueda / June 18, 2005 5:54 AM PDT

Hello Stewart,

I would seriously consider the InFocus 7210 which utilizes DLP technology at 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p. I believe it is priced in the $1500 range and may include the screen depending on the retail store you purchase it from. One step down is the InFocus 4805 which does include the screen for $999, but does not project 1080p HiDef.

The other thing you will want to look at are the "Black Screens" by Sony. It will allow you to watch that front projector in a bright room without loss of picture quality. Downside, they are not cheap.

Hope this helps.

Take Care,

Shawn Mosqueda
WireSmart LLC.
www.wiresmart.com
shawn@wiresmart.com

How To Build A Home Theater PC coming soon! visit www.wiresmart.com.

Collapse -
projector is the way to go
by xxxkevinxxx / June 18, 2005 9:17 AM PDT

I have a infocus screenplay 4805 projector and a 108 16:9 screen. The picture quality is great in dark rooms or at night although could be better during the day. I purchased the screen and the projector as a set for about 1400. Check out shopathometv.com

Collapse -
by jcrobso / June 20, 2005 1:57 AM PDT

Two issues here front vrs rear projection and cost.
I have done some instaltions for a PRO company.
Front: The BIG down side of front projection has been and allwise WILL be room lighting. In a dark room they look GREAT. As soon as you add some room lighting it gets realy bad. This is why rear projection TVs have become so popular, they can handel room lighting better!!!
Also there is the instlation problem of hanging the screen and the projector, running the wires in the celing,etc. Even thought I know how to do this, I would not get front projection TV for myself.
Cost: try projectorpeople.com

With $3500 you can get some realy good rear projector LCD and DLP TV HDTVs now so go look at them also. Some of them are so bright you can watch them in full room light!!! John

Collapse -
by slmosqueda / June 20, 2005 2:49 AM PDT

Hello,

When you are talking rear projection, do you mean the set box rear projection or the REAL rear projection which is installed behind the screen in a dark room?

Don't let this post be to intimidating. Installing the screen and front or rear projector is not very difficult as I have installed them and calibrated them, both rear projection and front projection.

Obviously this PRO company has never heard of the "Black Screen" technology from Sony. With the Black Screen, it will not matter what the room lighting is. It will look great in either a dark room or a well lit room.

The most expensive part of your package will be the "Black Screen". The InFocus line of front projectors run in the $999 to $2000 range. And they are quite capable of handeling just about anything you throw at them in terms of High Definition.

As far as running your wires, there are hundreds of ways to retrofit an existing room with wires. This to is not difficult and does not always require ripping out sheetrock.

And if you plan on having a display size larger than 60" and closer to 7,8,9 feet, there is no other option than a front projector.

That said, alot of the drawbacks of the projector units are no longer an issue.

Take Care,

Shawn Mosqueda
WireSmart LLC
www.wiresmart.com
shawn@wiresmart.com

How To Build A Home Theater PC coming soon! visit www.wiresmart.com

Collapse -
by jcrobso / June 21, 2005 4:53 AM PDT

When most people use the term rear projecter the common term reffers to the all in one rear projection TVs.
Whether they are CRT,LCD or DLP.
It was about 4 or 5 years ago I work for the company and the Sony Black screen is within the last 2 years.
Yes wires can be run lots of ways.
Most people don't have the room for a rear screen projector setup. I would have a problem mounting a front projector beacuse of my celling fan (oh well).
The adaventages of the all in one rear projection TV are many. John

Collapse -
by slmosqueda / June 21, 2005 5:40 AM PDT

Agreed.

Shawn

Collapse -
QUESTION FOR THE PRO
by stewart norrie / June 23, 2005 5:51 AM PDT

When I bought my Sony kp-wv600 rear project t.v. I hooked up my Dish Network 811 hi-def satellite with componit vidio cables NASTY PICTURE. So I called Sony and Dish (no help) So the next day I hookwd up with a d.v.i. cable and bam beautiful picture then I noticed my d.v.d picture was horrible I tried everything but no help. So I bought a Denon 2900 with d.v.i. output and a giffen d.v.i. switcher and the picture on satellite, and d.v.d look awsome, everyone tewlls me componit vidio interface should give me a hi-def picture but the d.v.i interface improves the picture 100% ANY IDEAS please reply mr. pro stewart norrie in this chat room or cadillacstew@aol.com

Collapse -
here are some examples...
by 3luke3 / June 21, 2005 5:20 AM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!