Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

REALLY weird memory problems adding more memory in computer

by bigdaddya / January 19, 2006 8:10 AM PST

I have a white box Pentium 4 CPU with XP professional service pack 2 build 2600 installed. The motherboard is an intel D865GLC with 512 MB RAM installed in Dual channel mode with 1 256 MB stick of ram in slot zero of bank 1 and 1 256 MB stick of ram in slot zero of bank 2. This memory is dual channel compatible. I tried to add another 2 sticks of the same type ram but from a different manufacturer.
Here's the problem: I can use any 2 of the 4 sticks of ram together, both from the same manufacturer or 1 from 1 manufacturer and 1 from the other for a total of 512 MB. Everything works fine. I can place one stick in slot 0 of bank 1 and the other in slot 0 of bank 2 or I can place 1 in slot 1 bank 1 and 1 in slot 1 of bank 2 with no problems. I can even place a 3rd stick of the same type ram in any open slot and all's fine (except the machine complains that this is not an optimal memory setup). Memtest86 reports no errors with any of the above configurations. But if I add in the 4th stick to operate in dual channel mode with a total of 1024 MB memory the machine locks up or reboots at random and Memtest86 reports errors from the lower memory, such as 391 MB all the way up through the 900's and the 1000s. I have tried reseating all the memory but to no avail. It hates having 4 sticks of ram no matter what. HELP!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: REALLY weird memory problems adding more memory in computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: REALLY weird memory problems adding more memory in computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ram

Sounds like your new ram is not compatible with your present set-up...

It is most likely returnable or exchange for compatible ram (same ram)

Rob

Collapse -
What about 2 different sticks working fine together?
by bigdaddya / January 19, 2006 9:10 AM PST
In reply to: ram

If it's not compatible, how can I use one of the new sticks and one of the old together and it works fine? I would think if it's incompatible with the old that it would give errors when used with the old.
Also, after my first post I tried 3 other sticks of the same type from 2 different manufacturers and the same thing happens no matter what the combination of memory sticks. Up to 3 sticks ok, 4 sticks bad news.
Could it be something with error checking or parity?
Or is there a setting in the BIOS on the D86GLC motherboard that's set wrong?

Collapse -
Matching memory
by mrkhlp / January 19, 2006 9:08 AM PST

Enabling dual channel memory
This section is applicable to the Intel Desktop Boards D875PBZ, D865GBF, D865GLC, and D865PERL only. These boards have four DIMM sockets arranged as DIMM 0 and DIMM 1 in both Channel A and Channel B.

To achieve dual channel operation, install a matched pair of DIMMs (equal in speed: 266MHz PC2100, 333MHz PC2700, or 400MHz PC3200; density: 64 MB, 128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB, or 1 GB; and technology: 128 Mb, 256 Mb, or 512 Mb) in DIMM 0 in both Channels A and B. If additional memory is to be used, then install another matched pair of DIMMs in DIMM 1 in both Channels A and B.

Notes:
All other memory configurations will result in single channel memory operation.
The Intel

Collapse -
matching the memory / memory specs
by bigdaddya / January 19, 2006 9:23 AM PST
In reply to: Matching memory

Wow! quick replies here! thanks to all! I forgot to list the memory specs:

256MB PC2700 DDR333 333 MHZ MEMORY

I have tried the memory arrangements listed in the post above but to no avail. I made sure that the stick in slot zero bank A matched the one in slot zero bank B and the same for the slots 1 in bank A and B. Still the same errors

Collapse -
I think there is a mix up
by mrkhlp / January 19, 2006 9:54 AM PST

by matching both chips in bank A should be the same manufacturer and the chips in bank B should be the other manufacturer. It sounds like you are matching them by bank A-0 and B-0 thats wrong. It should be bank A-0 and A-1 for one kind and bank B-0 and B-1 for the other.

Good luck

Collapse -
been there
by bigdaddya / January 19, 2006 12:01 PM PST

I tried having two of the same sticks in bank A and the other 2 matching sticks in B. No difference in the behavior.

Collapse -
check this site out
by mrkhlp / January 19, 2006 9:17 AM PST
Collapse -
gold plating
by bigdaddya / January 19, 2006 9:25 AM PST
In reply to: check this site out

Yup, it's all gold plated. Didn't know they still made any other kind.

Collapse -
Double sided and single sided dimms
by bigdaddya / January 19, 2006 9:39 AM PST
In reply to: check this site out

Intel lists the configuration for 1024 MB as

1024 MB DS 512 Mbit 64 M x 8/64 M x 8 16

but doesn't say whether this is 1 stick 4 sticks or whatever. Some of my memory sticks have 8 chips on each of their 2 sides. Others have only 8 chips on one side. It doesn't seem to make any difference until I add the fourth stick. Anybody know if this is the problem?

Collapse -
Did you
by mrkhlp / January 19, 2006 9:46 AM PST

read the part about the video card also could cause a problem?

Collapse -
AGP video card
by bigdaddya / January 19, 2006 11:59 AM PST
In reply to: Did you

Was that the part about the agp card interfering with the mechanism that holds the memory in? I have a PCI NVIDIA 5200

Collapse -
I think you got things mixed up
by mrkhlp / January 19, 2006 9:59 AM PST

it sounds like you are matching the chips by putting one kind in bank A-0 and B-0. that's wrong you should be putting one kind in bank A-0 and A-1 and the other set in B-0 and B-1

good luck
mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?