Computer Help forum

General discussion

really really need advice please

by poizn_envy / May 25, 2005 3:19 PM PDT

I have a problem with my computer and im hoping I may get some useful advice. I believe the original owner had ME on there when he/she got it and had then re formatted to XP. The problem is it tends to crash and usually not long after it loads up. It does not happen all the time, but when it does its very frustrating. Point is I dont think its due to a conflict because most of the time it happens is when I open an application and it doesnt seem to matter what that application may be. The last time it happened is when I tried to load the disk for a digital camera ive just bought.

Here is as much detail as I can find.

P3 866mhz 30gb HD 128mg RAM with a PC Chips motherboard M754 series. XP Home Edition SP2 and Office, Word, Powerpoint and Excel.

I have Norton Premier 2005, Zone Alarm Pro firewall, Spyware Doctor, Ad Aware, Spybot, Paint Shop Pro and Musicmatch. The bulk of the occupied space is MP3 music. I have no games installed.

I phoned a local computer store and they suggest that I need to increase my RAM to at least 256 and possibly install a new graphics card because the one I have predates XP.

My question is, is that sound advice and if not what would resolve this problem?

Thanks
Helen

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: really really need advice please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: really really need advice please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I agree. . .
by Coryphaeus / May 25, 2005 4:14 PM PDT

Before I got to the part about the suggestion, I keyed on the RAM. XP wants at least 256 Meg. You slower processor with your RAM is just overworking. RAM is the easiest fix. I'd add the 256 to give you a total of 384 Meg. You will definately see an improvement.

I'd try the RAM before I messed with the card.

Good luck,

Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to
use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about telephones, internet
connections and data, and download free software.

Collapse -
agree with cory
by Aussie_jack / May 25, 2005 4:54 PM PDT

128mg of ram for XP is too short of whats required. As I read your comment it sounds like the computer guy you talked to suggested increasing it to 256mg rather than increase it by 256mg of ram.

So Cory's point is very valid. Even just doubling your ram to 256mg isn't enough in my opinion. As Cory suggests go for at least 384 but you wouldn't go wrong with 512 and in the long run its probably the better option.

As for the graphics card. I doubt that its a huge issue for now but if you're looking to run programs such as games in the future, I would suggest an upgrade graphics card would be required.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) The shop tech advice makes sense
by Willy / May 25, 2005 10:57 PM PDT
Collapse -
Oh yeah... I agree with those other agreers!
by throstur / May 27, 2005 4:28 AM PDT

I have 256 RAM, and it seems FOREVER to load anything, my computer frequently freezes and its always slowin down, I had to increase the paging file to MAXIMUM to get it to work like it does now, which isnt all that good, but in my opinion, its good enough for the while, even though Counter-Strike Source and Half-Life 2 run with a FPS (frames per second, screen refresh rate) of 9, because in the long run, all you REALLY want is the computer to work, and with 256 ram, it should be able to.

I do however would recommend you get a newer processor, because mine is a 1.69, and yours is about half of mine. I'd also recommend that when you get a new processor, aim for Pentium 4 or Celeron at the lowest, Pentium 3 isnt good unless youre just pushin papers or drawing maps, but note if you have a good graphics card, then I think the only issue you have is your RAM, and remember, increase your paging file, but not by too much, you dont want to smoke ur computer.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.