Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

really need some help

by cmarsch / November 16, 2005 10:25 AM PST

I am trying to decide on an MP3 player as it seems many people are. Here are my concerns. Any advice is appreciated.

I want to definitely stay under 300 and closer to 200 if at all possible, given that all the accessories will add up in a hurry.

I want to be able to run with it. Is this a HUGE problem with the regular Ipod? (vs. the nano (and other flash players) which i know is supposed to be better for the gym)

I have a decent size music collection downloaded from napster and msn music. If I get an IPOD, do I just give all of this up? It can't go on an IPOD in wma format, correct?

I suppose I would also have to re-rip all of my cd's if I purchased an ipod so that they were in their format? true?

Are there enough accessories with the other brands outside of IPOD to choose from? like cases, speakers, armbands, and whatever else I might need.
It seems like most of the accessories out there are made for ipods!!

I do feel like Ipod is easy to use. Are the rest of them this easy?

Other random thoughts i've had while trying to make a freakin decision !! I like the players on the smaller side but feel like nano is almost too small. I like the thought of watching video on the Ipod but wonder how much I would actually do it. I don't really care about color - something basic, black, white is good. I don't really care too much about clock/radio/games/recorder or any of the rest of that stuff. Photos would be nice, but again, not a necessity as I am not sure how much i would actually use that feature.

I appreciate any and all advice as I am obviously one confused chic who needs some help and is sick of thinking about this stuff !! Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
anyone?
by cmarsch / November 16, 2005 11:06 PM PST
In reply to: really need some help

if anyone has any advice, that would be awesome.

or if you can answer just one question, also appreciated ...

if I already have a bunch of music in wma format (downloaded from cd's, purchased on napster and msn music), am I able to easily change those to a format I can put on an Ipod and, if so, how? or do i just lose all that music?

i would appreciate answers to the rest as well, but this one I am really interested to know.

Collapse -
Just one thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2005 11:11 PM PST

Prior posts address your questions. Take advantage of this and the MP3 reviews, user comments at cnet.com

Bob

Collapse -
i have read tons of posts
by cmarsch / November 16, 2005 11:14 PM PST
In reply to: Just one thing.

i have read tons of posts and haven't found answers that totally address my personal concerns. that is why i decided to take the time to write my own post.

if you don't feel like answering my questions and could direct me to specific posts which address these concerns, i would appreciate that as well. i just haven't been able to find them and got a little tired of sorting through messages ...

Collapse -
Let me read just three.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2005 12:15 AM PST

1. I want to be able to run with it. Is this a HUGE problem with the regular Ipod? (vs. the nano (and other flash players) which i know is supposed to be better for the gym)

No. But this has been discussed.

2. I have a decent size music collection downloaded from napster and msn music. If I get an IPOD, do I just give all of this up? It can't go on an IPOD in wma format, correct?

Again, discussed many times. In short, any DRM (protected) music will be difficult to transfer. Due to forum rules I can't tell you how to do this.

3. I suppose I would also have to re-rip all of my cd's if I purchased an ipod so that they were in their format? true?

Well discussed again. With iTunes you just feed it the CDs and it lands in the collection. Painless.

-> If you are a new member it is possible you've not been reading along with others. That's fine but imagine if every member didn't use prior posts.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!