Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Really Hidden Files

by mazzan00 / April 21, 2006 3:24 PM PDT

Can someone fill me in on the files ( content.ie5 & history.ie5 ). There are more than one instance of these files scattered about Windows. The primary one I am wondering about is in ... /[current user]/local settings/Temporary Internet files/content.ie5. The 2 things are this. 1) It is soo well hidden, that if you don't know it's there you will never see it. One has to make use of the command window and address it directly. 2) This file grows constantly as you use IE. It also grows when one tells IE to clear all cache and history files. It becomes unusally large, over 2 to 3 gigs, or more. I am using XP PRO /SP2, but these files are in all windows from 98 up I think. Any insight would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Really Hidden Files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Really Hidden Files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You're Quite Right!! MS Doesn't Want You to Know/Find .....
by tobeach / April 21, 2006 5:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Really Hidden Files

those files(incl. Index.dat). Similar situation with Sun Java (2caches: 1 emptied with button, other very hard to find.Byte Verify virus likes the second). Mozilla runs 5 caches( CC gets all 5).
There is a very simple, free answer/cure you can get here:http://www.ccleaner.com/downloadbuilds.asp
Bookmark/Add to favorites the above link as you'll want to use that page about once/month for new, updated versions.

On that page download & install either "Slim" version(English Only) or''Basic''version(multi language support).Then visit link below & save page as text to print out, so as to have on hand during install. It describes what all those check boxes you see are, which can be or not be marked for cleaning. Personally, I don't have any tick marks in IE Advanced section at bottom of Cleaner page.Here:
http://www.ccleaner.com/help/fileclean.asp
This will clean all you asked & much, much more !
I have mine set up to run cleaner on Boot-up(Options>Settings) and I also manually run via right click on Recycle Bin (less than 5 seconds to run) immediately Before & After each net visit. While on Settings page: UNCHECK Auto check for updates!! It'll take you to a version(full) with Yahoo(Adware) Toolbar included(thats why you'll want to use top link each month).
Don't be surprised if it removes 20-50 megs on initial pass! In future, you'll only need to run Defrag as needed. You're gonna Love It!! Grin

Collapse -
CClean Link
by mazzan00 / April 22, 2006 3:26 AM PDT

Hey Tobeach

Thanks for the reply and the link. I already have ccleaner. However I am still wondering the why of these files and how many people know they exist. Microsoft sure won't tell anyone. Thanks again for the response.

Collapse -
Hidden files
by tomron / April 21, 2006 5:18 PM PDT

Click HERE and maybe it will help.

Tom

Collapse -
Sorry Tom: Link Returned:''Http:****.Com Could Not....
by tobeach / April 21, 2006 5:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Hidden files

be found (Mozilla).Was word "Free" in Link title? Happy

Collapse -
OK
by tomron / April 21, 2006 10:48 PM PDT

I just looked into it and i was unaware of a curse word in it

http://microsoft.com/content/ms-hidden-files.shtml

In the above link i removed a certain 4 letter word that comes before microsoft.If you fill in the blank you should be able to get to the site.

Tom

Collapse -
I know the site
by mazzan00 / April 22, 2006 2:55 AM PDT
In reply to: OK

Hey Tomron,

Thanks for the reply, and yes I have been to that site. I don't care for the language, but it does cover the subject. I was looking to see what insight others may have into the subject. Thanks again!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Your welcome,thanx for posting back
by tomron / April 22, 2006 7:17 AM PDT
In reply to: I know the site
Collapse -
Set your Temporary internet files to ..
by Gakada / April 21, 2006 5:40 PM PDT

50mb or as low as 10mb .. (I use this amount all this time with no problem)..

In IE, Tools, Internet Options, Settings..

Collapse -
So easy to see/find . . .
by Cursorcowboy / April 21, 2006 9:35 PM PDT

Click Tools, Internet Options, Settings and then the button View Files..., which is then displayed by Explorer.

For more understanding of what the Temporary Internet Files are and what they're for, please refer to the posting ''''Flirting with disaster'' in my opinion, but. . ..''

Collapse -
These Are NOT Standard Files
by mazzan00 / April 22, 2006 3:14 AM PDT

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the replys. Yes I am aware of the cache limiting settings in IE, and the file viewing options. I also understand the what and whys of the internet and other caches. However, the files of which I mention are not affected by those options. They have no size limiting that I am aware of and are not visable from windows explorer, no matter the settings. They store ALL of your internet browseing pages and history. They even store your e-mail. Everything you thought was deleted is in them. Microsoft goes to great length to make sure these files stay hidden. I am trying to understand why they would do this and to what end it serves. Again, thanks for the replys so far.

Collapse -
Hi. I Think THIS Is Really What You're Looking For (Link):
by tobeach / April 22, 2006 6:02 PM PDT
Collapse -
Interesting Read
by mazzan00 / April 23, 2006 3:48 PM PDT

Hey tobeach,

Thanks for the link. You are right, it is quite a read. One has to wonder. I have know about alot of these issues for awhile, but can't say or prove one way or the other for sure. I just finished removing over 7 gigs from a clients computer, in the form of these files, when I posted this. I could tell you everything she had done since setting her up about 3 years ago. That just doesn't make reasonable sense to me. Well that is as it is I guess. Thanks again for the post. Maybe one day someone who knows will tell...
John.

Collapse -
There are
by Themisive / April 24, 2006 6:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Interesting Read

Quite a few way around them - remember the furore when it was proved that Windows 98 had a ''back door'' in the coding? By the way THAT'S why Win 98SE was brought out!

There is now way on this earth that MS can read any deleted file on my machine, I knew that the ''Delete'' command only removed the Header of the file, hovever, recently I have managed to get a DoD Certified programme, that ERASES those clusters.

The result is a 35 pass erasion, and as it's overwrtitten by 0's and 1's, no information can be found from previous files.

Yes I still use the Delete function, then Erase the Recycle Bin contents! That way you not only empty the recycle bin, you also erase the place on the hard drive the file was in!

I feel that MS notwithstanding, my business is my business, not theirs. If you want a copu of this programme (it's free) contact http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/, the latest version is 5.8.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.