Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Really getting tired of it.

by James Denison / March 5, 2004 1:32 AM PST

Contributing to a thread, seeing it grow, many good posts in it, some distracting ones, and then POOF! it's gone.

If only this software had thread splitting, all the off topic gripefests could be split off into some Neverland place, and the rest of the thread left as valid, and available.

It seems when someone (more than one) don't like a thread they start crapping it up to see if they can get the whole thing hidden.

It's a pain, and discourages from contributing.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Really getting tired of it.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Really getting tired of it.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What are you talking about? -NT
by Rosalie / March 5, 2004 1:50 AM PST

Collapse -
Dale's long thread has disappeared.
by James Denison / March 5, 2004 2:02 AM PST

The one where he was complaining about a Bush campaign ad.

Collapse -
I see what you mean, James....
by Glenda / March 5, 2004 1:58 AM PST

As far as I could tell the only posts that were deleted was two of bLakes in reply to me! No others were deleted the last time I looked! I wonder what the problem was? It just makes me mad when someone goes on an Anti-American rant and I guess we are supposed to sit by and let ourselves be trashed! I think the original post was made to start exactly what was posted!
Glenda

Collapse -
Re: Really getting tired of it -- ENOUGH, already!
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / March 5, 2004 6:00 AM PST

James, the whole premise of that thread was flawed -- Dale didn't understand the new U.S. campaign law. Then people started dumping on him for having an opinion about U.S. politics as a foreigner, and then started dumping on each other for supporting him or not. There were a few short branches with some redeeming value, but it was a choice between deleting about 3/4 of the messages individually (due to TOS violations and loss of context from the deletions), or killing the whole thread. The Moderators requested that the thread be gone, and Lee was the one who deleted it -- that's as high as you can go in the message board structure. Thus we don't really need a long thread about that decision, either -- let's please move on!

-- Dave K.
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Re: Really getting tired of it -- ENOUGH, already!.....Herr Koenkel...
by John Robie / March 5, 2004 7:54 AM PST

"The Moderators requested that the thread be gone, and Lee was the one who deleted it -- that's as high as you can go in the message..."

You seem to be the oldest Mod and dominate as the "Head IC" over others. Don't you mean that you didn't like the thread, so you got the approval of a few other SE Mod then went to Lee. Your dictatorship/censorship of SE is very apparent.

Collapse -
Re: Really getting tired of it -- ENOUGH, already!.....Herr Koenkel...

Hi, John.

Actually, I wasn't the one who first suggested the thread had a problem. And it's not a matter of censorship -- you know just about any idea is permissible here. The problem is personal attacks on the members, not on their ideas. And, btw, Konkel is Polish, not German, and never had an umlaut.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Re:Re: Really getting tired of it -- ENOUGH, already!.....

Apologize for the name. One of my best friends when I was in school is named Koenkel, and I auto typed it.

Collapse -
"Ignore the man behind the green curtain" (Wizard of Oz) [nt]
by James Denison / March 5, 2004 12:53 PM PST

[nt]

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!