General discussion

Really dumb question...

but here goes. I've realised that I need a new motherboard, and I've found one from ASUS that sounds great, except the sales guy pointed out that it might not fit in my IBM NetVista machine. IBM didn't know if the specs were right or not, and I haven't gotten hold of ASUS. So, I figured I could move motherboard and processor to an old Compaq tower that I've got. Now the question is, will that work? The original processor in the Compaq is a Pentium II, but surely it's the motherboard+cpu that has to fit together? So if I rip everything out and then install it, would that work? Oh, and has anyone any experience with installing an ATUS motherboard in a NetVista machine?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Really dumb question...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Really dumb question...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Really rather simple to find out.

Go to the Asus website. Expand the view of the mobo. Look closely to see where the mounting holes for the mobo are, also they will give the overall size of the mobo.

Then look at the case and existing mobo, note the mounting hole locations, mobo size et al. If they appear to be close, it is likely that they are using the standard ATX locations. [may have one ot two more, or fewer mounting holes] The mounting holes all have the plated copper ring around them, so should be easy to spot. If any is to be non-standard my guess would be the Compaq. They generally are a PITA.

Whatever you do when installing a new mobo in a case where another had been be SURE to not leave any mounting standoff's in that do not line up with the new mobo's mounting holes, they will short out the mobo.

You are likely to need a new Power Supply also, so why not buy a new tower sans power supply and buy a good power supply separately.

Give the old computer to someone that can't afford one.

- Collapse -
BTW, What is the version of all of

the hardware in the old system? You may need virtually everything to be new, i.e. the type of memory the type of video and other cards if the new mobo uses PCI Express.

There is no such thing as a Dumb Question. I may give a dumb answer LOL, but if, by asking the question resolves your quandry in any way, it ain't dumb.

- Collapse -
This is more complicated than I thought

Well, the RAM I've got now is SDRAM, can I use it with DDR400? And yes, I'll need to get a new video card too since it was integrated in the IBM motherboard. And thanks for the tip, now all I need to do is find the specs of the IBM motherboard, not exactly easy...

- Collapse -
There were, for a short period

of time, mobos available that took either SDRAM or DDR SDRAM. Can only use one or the other at one time..

You should be able to get most of the equivalent mobo info from the IBM site for your exact computer. [remember, the mobo basically provides the system capability, along with the CPU and memory].

As to the memory sockets. SDRAM sockets are different than DDR SDRAM sockets, 168 pins vs 184 pins. It should be easy to see if you have two sets of different size memory sockets.

CNET Forums

Forum Info