TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Real world info on HD TV picture

I am looking for a new HD TV and have basically narrowed it down to the Samsung A650 (46" or 52")series LCD and the Panasonic 50PZ800U plasma.

I currently own a 42" Samsung plasma and over all like the picture. But LCD seems to my eye to have a "depth" (perceived or real)when viewing HD content and Blu-Ray/HD-DVD movies that the plasmas don't.

However, in the reviews here on c/net and elsewhere, they always test with HD DVD or Standard DVD sources, unless I missed something.

Which of the 2 tv's that I am considering perform best in the SD and or Digital content world of cable (RCN) viewing??

Any thoughts from the minds at c/net?? LOL..

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Real world info on HD TV picture
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Real world info on HD TV picture
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
YMMV- buy both and do a side by side test!

In reply to: Real world info on HD TV picture

At this point with the technology I don't expect any panel in the price range like the two below to do exceptionally well with SD, especially w/ cable or satellite. I tend to discount any reviews dealing with panels and their SD performance. Personally, if SD performance matters that much you would be best served IMO by buying both and doing a side by side test at home under the lighting conditions where the new HDTV will be used. This would also let you determine which one had adequate blacks/ colors, etc. The showroom floor is totally different, uncalibrated, and generally puts all the sets in torch mode that is not like at home usually. Since everyone's SD signal/feed/home wiring and hardware is different enough to begin with, each location has the potential to behave differently in concert with different HDTVs. You won't know which of the two sets is better until you test in in your own home in your situation. While you probably can't switch cable providers, you can start by making sure your wiring is up to snuff before any new TV is delivered. PQ starts there IMO, something which is even ignored by a lot of folks still w/ SDTVs.

-Pedro

Collapse -
Both very good sets

In reply to: Real world info on HD TV picture

most of the time plasma well look better on SD content do to the way this type of TV will process the image.

black level on both sets should be very good, although the samsung might look darker in the store do to the screen being so black in color, the panasonic has more of a dark gray screen and looks washed out do to the lighting in the store, but the panasonic should be the same if not better in the home, plus more accurate in color in the THX picture mode.

good luck
gabe

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.