HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

Question

Real time monitoring of users in my LAN

by kbehere / August 11, 2012 3:56 AM PDT

Hi,

I am owner of a startup. I want to see what my employees are doing on their PCs on real time basis, to avoid wastage of time.

Can someone suggest some freeware/ paid software that will enable me monitor my users in LAN by enabling me view their screens realtime .

I have tried keyloggers but they provide historical data, I need realtime view access in LAN just like Team Viewer gives over internet.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Real time monitoring of users in my LAN
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Real time monitoring of users in my LAN
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Why not install video surveilance ?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 11, 2012 4:11 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
This is a bad idea
by Jimmy Greystone / August 11, 2012 5:51 AM PDT

This is a bad idea for several reasons. It destroys employee morale, there are legal implications depending on what state you're in, and if you spend all your time making sure others are doing their jobs, then when do you do your job?

Micromanaging like that, especially at startup stage, is just going to kill your company. You'll drive away the people working for you now, then you have to replace them. You should know better than most people how expensive it can be to hire someone. Not to mention the unemployment you'd have to pay out, and potential lawsuits you'd have to defend yourself against whether or not they have any legal merit. You will very quickly drive your company out of business because you didn't know how to trust people to do their jobs.

If you have reason to believe some employee isn't doing their job, then probably the best thing to do is to talk to them about it, not spy on them. Maybe there's a perfectly valid explanation for what appears to be them wasting time. Maybe there's not, but after a couple minutes chatting with you about it, they shape up a little. Compare that to the couple of hours, minimum, you'd likely need to find enough evidence to fire them and be able to successfully defend yourself against a wrongful termination suit. Not to mention the expenses you take on posting an ad, sorting through applicants, conducting interviews, all the taxes and associated expenses that go with hiring someone, the fact that it'll take them a couple of weeks at least to get up to speed so there's lost productivity... Every time you fire someone then everyone else starts wondering if they're next, is the company in financial trouble, basically the focus becomes less and less about their job and more about the office drama you created.

If your business is going to succeed, you're going to have to learn to let go at some point. Now is as good a time as any.

I'm sure this is not what you wanted to hear, and I fully expect to get some sort of "How dare you tell me how to run my company blah blah blah... I asked a simple question, and didn't need your self-righteous opinions blah blah blah" type response. That's fine, I'm a big boy, I can take it... A response like that just means I'm not telling you anything you didn't already know, but didn't want to admit to. Just keep what I say in mind, and once you've had a chance to cool off, think it over. I bet you'll find that there's a lot of truth in what I say.

Collapse -
How about overting watching them from above? Link!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 11, 2012 5:56 AM PDT
In reply to: This is a bad idea
Collapse -
Answer
Employee Monitoring Software
by beejohnny / August 26, 2012 11:33 PM PDT

We have been in this same dilemma before when we tried automating our monitoring system at work. After all the deliberation and consideration, we ended up choosing Time Doctor. It is a time tracking software that monitors work hours and tasks in real time. And, more importantly it seeks to enhance productivity above all things.

Here is a video of how this employee monitoring software works. By the way, we don't really believe in keyloggers. Aside from being so intrusive and invasive, it is totally counter productive based on our experience.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.