HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows 7 forum

Question

Real Downloader used to appear on both my browsers when

by Ziks511 / August 3, 2012 6:30 PM PDT

viewing video content, esp YouTube, but also on other sites, particularly news. Having had numerous troubles shortly after my warranty ran out, I have with the help of Cnet Staff sorted most of them out but this issue has cropped up.

I re-installed Real Downloader and RealPlayer while in Firefox, but find that it isn't available in Google Chrome.

How do I associate Real Downloader with both Google Chrome and Firefox, or more specifically how do I associate it with Chrome since it works just fine in FF.

I still haven't figured out the File Association game, and periodically I have to go "all around the houses" in order to circumvent the "There is no Mail program associated with this ... " window. Usually via Copy and Paste.

Rob Boyter

HPPavillion Entertainment Laptop 7(?), AMD Turion X2, 64, ATI Radeon. Browsers Chrome and Firefox.

I like the availability of the two separate browsers because it's easier to switch between them than between different panels of the same browser, elderly eyes being part of the problem, but ingrained preference being most of it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Real Downloader used to appear on both my browsers when
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Real Downloader used to appear on both my browsers when
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
(NT) Yes, Downloader appears as Enabled in the Extensions Menu R
by Ziks511 / August 3, 2012 7:26 PM PDT
Collapse -
So in Chrome
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 3, 2012 9:50 PM PDT

Hi Rob.

So are you saying that, in the Chrome browser, Downloader appears as an extension and is Enabled?

If that is the case then there is little we can do and it would seems this will be a problem between Real Networks and Google Chrome's developers.

Mark

Collapse -
Answer
Did you recently update Chrome to v12.0?
by Carol~ Forum moderator / August 4, 2012 5:38 AM PDT

Rob..

IF you did, and IF I'm understanding the problem correctly, there have been similar complaints since the release of v12.0 on 7/31. RealPlayer may (or may not) have provided the answer you're looking for. It involves disabling Pepper Flash in Chrome as per the following instructions:

https://real.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10000/~/download-this-video-does-not-work-in-google-chrome

IF I misunderstood the problem...... fagettaboutit! Silly

Either way.. enjoy the rest of your weekend..
Carol

[Since Adobe Flash Player is directly integrated with Chrome and enabled by default, see if any of this information sheds some light on the matter. Be it now or in the future.]

Collapse -
Oops! S/B Chrome v21.0 not v12.0
by Carol~ Forum moderator / August 4, 2012 6:02 AM PDT

And you're complaining about your 'elderly eyes'??

I believe I just experienced what's known as ...... " a senior moment".

And I haven't even reached my 35th birthday yet. Go figure! Happy

Collapse -
Yeah, in the words of Animaniacs character Slappy Squirrel
by Ziks511 / August 4, 2012 7:29 AM PDT

"Whaddaya want? I'm old!" On top of that I had a lazy eye which wasn't treated, so while useful for general vision and depth perception, doesn't focus well enough to read with, regardless of glasses, only large type helps. So I'm a one good eye old guy. On top of that I have floaters in the good eye, and a cataract slowly creeping in. Why couldn't both of these things have happened in the bad eye where they'd have been no trouble at all?

But be of good heart. You didn't have a senior moment. They don't start until after 40. What you did was to make a perfectly normal transposition error, probably because you were typing quickly. My mother, who worked for the RAF during WW2 on human computers called Comptometers told me they were common entry errors so results were compared and if the difference of the two results of the same set of figures (everything had to be done redundantly like that) was 9 or a multiple of it when one was subtracted from the other, it was a guarantee of a transposition error, just like yours. Then they had to sit down, and one girl would read out the numbers going into the calculation while the other girl checked the two print outs or tabulations as they were called, comparing figures on both. Once they'd found the error, or errors, they knew which tabulation was correct. If both had screwed up, things got messier.

Just to make the whole thing worse, the machines were entirely manual which meant the numbers had to be punched in with both hands for amounts over 4 figures, like chords on the piano, all at once and using a fair amount of force leading to early onset arthritis of the hands. I can't remember my mother having normal knuckles, they were always bumpy, larger than the rest of her finger. Nevertheless she, and tens if not hundreds of thousands like her helped Britain survive and ultimately with US and Soviet allies win the war.

Dad was in the USAAC (US Army Air Corps) on light bombers, the Douglas DB7 which he called a Havoc but the Brits called a Boston. They married in '44 and I came along in '46 after they'd both come to my Dad's home city of Baltimore, where I was born and grew up.

Sorry but that was a little story about computers before computers. There is competition and controversy between the Brits and US over who built the first all electric programmable computer. The Brits built Colossus, and MIT built ENIAC. Colossus was used to break German codes as well as to do calculations on Bomb damage and a host of other things, ENIAC did many of the calculations or confirmations of calculations on the Atom Bomb. I don't know which, if either, used punched paper tape for programming.

So you're not having a senior moment, but a mild mistiming of your typing. When I'm having a senior moment I tell everybody that my Hard Drive is full and search times are really slow. The information always comes to me, usually before I've finished the letter or e-mail, but sometimes it's at 2AM when I take my night-time stroll to the loo, or the next morning. It rarely takes more than 24 hours, but I worry about that as a possibility.

Rob, mired in trivia from an early age.

Collapse -
(NT) Oh, and note, v21 minus v12 equals ???? 9 !!! Rob
by Ziks511 / August 4, 2012 7:32 AM PDT
Collapse -
I haven't updated but I appreciate your amusing and
by Ziks511 / August 4, 2012 6:42 AM PDT

informative reply. I will avoid updating Chrome which I was in fact considering doing, so your info is most timely and useful. Thanks very much.

Rob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.