The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Real Deal 96 is up - Road Test

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Real Deal 96 is up - Road Test
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Real Deal 96 is up - Road Test
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Multiple Monitors

In reply to: Real Deal 96 is up - Road Test

Why cant you right click on the desktop, go to PERSONALIZE then DISPLAY SETTINGS and select your desired monitor and check off "this is my main monitor"?
You and the rest of the Cnet team taught me everything I know, it would be awesome if this solved Rafe's and your problem.

Collapse -
I'm on XP

In reply to: Multiple Monitors

Is that for Vista? I'm on XP (as is Tom), and there's no such button. Argh.

Collapse -
So?

In reply to: I'm on XP

Collapse -
That checkbox is just a tease

In reply to: So?

"Use this device as primary monitor" is greyed out on the monitor I want to switch to. Curse you, Microsoft.

And, no, YOU rock.

Collapse -
I Disagree

In reply to: That checkbox is just a tease

Believe it or not, but thanks to you, Tom, Molly, Brian and the rest of your buddies today I have a job at a tech startup. That wouldnt have been possible without you guys doing this great work. I subscribe to 10 podcasts from CNET and its also my homepage. I've only been into tech for the last 14 months or so and thank god MSN-Tech links here or I would still be wondering what Firefox is. My goal is to have our company written about on Webware some day (still in stealth so I wont harass you with a pitch:))

Collapse -
Multiple Monitors - UltraMon

In reply to: Multiple Monitors

I've been using UltraMon for several years (www.ultramon.com). Windows may still prevent you from changing the primary monitor (something to do with laptop graphics chips and the monitors being "removable"), but it has a lot of other great features that make it worth your while to checkout the trial version.

The best feature IMO is the ability to add buttons to the title bar that switch a window to a different monitor, even when that window's maximized. It can also display a taskbar on each monitor and lets you save profiles for work vs. home, etc.

Collapse -
MacBook Pro Memory Capacity

In reply to: Real Deal 96 is up - Road Test

Tom mentioned that his new MacBook is loaded with 4 GB of memory. I recently upgraded my 2007 MacBook Pro with two 2 GB memory modules, only to find out that only 3 GB will be used by the system (see http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=321). It was a little upsetting since the specs at apple.com clearly state that it has a max capacity of 4 GB. I felt misled. Has Apple resolved this issue with more recent MacBook Pros? Or has Tom been had as I was?

Also, to get around the keyboard incompatibilities with Windows I highly recommend the Logitech S 530 wireless keyboard and mouse for Mac (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard_mice_combos/devices/158&cl=us,en).

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!