Question

Ready to install IE 9

I have Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit. Which is the best way to download IE 9? For now, I will be using Internet Explorer 32-bit version.

1. Download/install IE 9 for 32-bit and 64-bit separately?

2. Download/install the 64-bit version of IE 9 when according to a ZDnet article, the 32-bit version will automatically be downloaded, too?

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/networking/installing-32-bit-ie-9-on-64-bit-windows/802

My thanks......Miki
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit
Internet Explorer 8

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Ready to install IE 9
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Ready to install IE 9
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
My own choice was to download it through Windows Updates

I know you prefer to keep your system as clear of gunk as possible, but in my view it is far safer and more practical to allow Windows to update itself.

I learnt some years ago that it is easier to allow Windows to keep itself up to date, and allow the updates as and when they are offered, and that includes components like IE. That way, my system doesn't get out of sync with the updates which, in my mind, may cause difficulties down the line.

As that ZDNet article explains, it seems we cannot install the 32 bit version of IE9 separately anyway, so we must allow Windows to install both.That's fine by me as I simply ignore the 64 bit version anyway.

But in addition, since I rarely use IE, it matters not to me what versions IE I have installed. My hard drive can take the few extra MB's of disk used up, and I have the added comfort of knowing that my system is up to date with critical and security updates, and that satisfies me no end. Happy

I would go for it, and allow Windows to update itself.

Mark

- Collapse -
Thank you, Mark....

Hi Mark -- I use Windows Update as you do and plan to download IE 9 through WU. I should have been more specific in my post and asked my question as follows Happy : If I use WU to download/install IE 9, will I get versions for 32-bit and 64-bit?

Miki

- Collapse -
Addendum to Mark

I also should have said that I wanted to have both 32-bit and 64-bit IE9 versions on my machine even though I will be using IE 32-bit Happy

Miki

- Collapse -
Yep, you get both versions

That ZDNet article you provided a link for explains it well I think. You get both versions, and both work, but the 64 bit is not used by web developers much, (eg Adobe's Flash Player is not yet compatible with IE9 64 bit), so we tend to use IE9 32 bit, if we use IE at all.

So, you're still using IE huh? Devil

Mark

- Collapse -
(NT) Yep....still using IE :)

CNET Forums