Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Reading Files from Windows Mellennium Using Xp Professional

by Boogy07 / September 24, 2007 1:26 AM PDT

I had an old computer using Windows Mellennium and I saved files to CDs. My Service Pack 2 Xp will not allow me to read the Me files. Anyone have a fix for this? I need to get important files from this CD? Appreciate your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reading Files from Windows Mellennium Using Xp Professional
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reading Files from Windows Mellennium Using Xp Professional
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It depends on what wrote that CD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2007 2:18 AM PDT

Windows ME can't write to CDs so you must have used a package like Nero's INCD or Roxio's DirectCD. If you install the same name package on XP that CD should become readable.

If you don't have that, ISOBUSTER (see google.com) is an alternative.

Bob

Collapse -
More Information
by Boogy07 / September 25, 2007 11:10 AM PDT

I used Nero5 InCd to copy the files. I tried to load it onto my computer and the following message appeared:

"InCD works under 95 DSR2/98/Me/NT/2000 only"

Is there a download that will load a later version or another fix?

Collapse -
ISOBUSTER
by Boogy07 / September 25, 2007 11:12 AM PDT

By the way, I could not get ISOBUSTER to open the file.

Collapse -
Now we know it was INCD and you run XP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 25, 2007 11:21 AM PDT
In reply to: ISOBUSTER
Collapse -
If You Used A Formatting/Packet Writing Program..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 24, 2007 2:20 AM PDT

...to format the CD-RW's, then you will need the same formatting/packet writing program on the XP machine. (Or did you format CD-R discs instead of CD-RW's?) For example, if you used Roxio's "Drag to Disk" or Nero's "InCD", then you'll need to install the same one on your XP.

Generally, it's best to finalize/close a CD-R or CD-RW when making such backups.. It's much more reliable than packet writing programs or using multi-session burns.

Still, we need a little more information regarding EXACTLY how you burned the CD's on the Millennium computer. Which burning program? Type of disc media? And does the disc still work on your Windows ME machine?

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
Finalize/Close a CD
by Boogy07 / September 25, 2007 11:11 AM PDT

What do you mean by "finalize/close a CD-R or CD-RW when making such backups."

Collapse -
Use a Standard Burn Process Which...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 26, 2007 1:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Finalize/Close a CD

...closes the disc so it can't be written to again...(Except with CD-RW discs which can be erased and written to many times.)

The disc isn't formatted using a packet writing program but instead is burned as a "data CD".

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Data CD
by Boogy07 / September 28, 2007 1:47 PM PDT

Grif:

I always burn my CDs as data CDs. Thanks. Nero has a program called InCD Reader on their website that can be downloaded for free. Supposedly, it will read files that were burned with Nero software when you don't have the software on your computer. I have not been able to get it to work. It does not load correctly for some reason. Still trying to get that pesky fiel open.

Collapse -
InCD Can BE The Problem
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 29, 2007 5:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Data CD

InCD is the 'packet wirting/formatting" program mentioned earlier which is NOT a good thing when saving permanent files.. It's nice for temporary things because you can format the disc, then copy and paste files as if they were on a floppy disc... Unfortunately, in my opinion, the packet writing programs aren't reliable when it comes to repeated, full disc burns or when used as long term storage.

If it's a single file that's a problem, the file itself may be corrupted. If that's the case, you may be out of luck.. Have you tried the "Reader" that Bob Proffitt suggested above? It should do what you want UNLESS the file is corrupted which is common when packet writing programs are used.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Do you still have the old computer?
by glb613 / September 30, 2007 6:55 AM PDT

If so, see if you can transfer the files to a USB portable drive or external hard drive.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.