Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

Read, Unread, New posts

by dcmorris / April 28, 2005 11:04 AM PDT

I tried to resolve this problem in the "Computer Newbies" forum but was told to bring it to this forum.
When I am logged on to "Computer Newbies" it shows all discussions read even if I haven't read them. Also there is no provision in that forum for me to "Mark all discussions read".
I am aware of the change in the location of "Mark all discussions read" and I know I am properly Logged in.
This only occurs in that forum.
You can follow that discussion at http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6121-0.html?forumID=45&threadID=97111&messageID=1105377

DC

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Read, Unread, New posts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Read, Unread, New posts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Bump
by dcmorris / May 1, 2005 6:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
Is there any chance you have the browser
by Steven Haninger / May 1, 2005 6:22 AM PDT

set to load images for the originating site only? If so, make Cnet an exception.

Collapse -
Thanks, Steven, For the Input But
by dcmorris / May 1, 2005 12:27 PM PDT

I checked and my browser is set up with no restrictions as to loading images. I wish it were that simple.
It sure is weird it happens only on the Computer Newbie
forum and even acts a little different in Firefox than IE.

DC

Collapse -
One other thought
by Steven Haninger / May 1, 2005 9:47 PM PDT

I don't know how but a "hosts" file can do lots of strange things. You find this in Windows/System32/Drivers/Etc in XP. These send listed sites to nul. If you have this file, try renaming it to something like "hosts.old" and try again. But, you're right, I don't know why Newbies is all that's affected.

Collapse -
Bump
by dcmorris / May 5, 2005 10:30 AM PDT

I keep bumping this hoping someone will respond with a solution.

DC

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) lee will see no need to bump
by Mark5019 / May 5, 2005 1:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Bump
Collapse -
Mark, Appreciate The Advice But - - - - -
by dcmorris / May 7, 2005 10:09 AM PDT

it was not my original idea.
I was posting this problem in another CNET forum and was advised to post it in "Feedback". When I received no response here I posted again in the former forum.
Here is a direct quote from a moderator on that forum:

"In regards to Forum Feedback, it is the right forum but you may need to BUMP your topic once in a while..No telling, you might get Lee to respond."

You can see the full discussion at:
ttp://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6121-0.html?forumID=45&threadID=97111&messageID=1164246

As you can see below, Lee has reponded.

DC

Collapse -
Here's a quick explanation....
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / May 6, 2005 10:18 AM PDT

Anything that has been posted past 30 days will be considered read. The reason for this is because if we had to track everything beyond that we will run into some serious forum performance issues--since the system has to track every individual uniquely.

DC, can you double check the discussions that you are reading--are they past 30 days?

I'm not experiencing this issue with the Computer newbies forums. Are others? Or is this an single user incident?

Please let me know folks.

Thanks!
-Lee

Collapse -
Glad To Hear From You, Lee
by dcmorris / May 7, 2005 9:52 AM PDT

Thanks for getting involved with my problem, Lee.
The discussions I am referring to are current and well within the last thirty days.
This is only happening on ?Computer Newbies?. (I do not know if others on "Computer Newbies" are experiencing the same problem.) All the other CNET forums I have checked are performing as they should.
There is also a difference between IE and Firefox.
When using Firefox:
1. All posts show ?Read? when, in fact, they have not been read.
2. There is no indication there are ?New posts? when, in fact, there are new posts.
3. At the bottom on the page there is no provision for ?Mark all dicussions read?.
When using IE:
1. All posts show ?Unread? even though I have read them.
2. Same as above.
3. Same as above.
4. At the bottom of the page it shows the ?Icon legend? for ?Locked,? Moderator, and ?CNET editor?. It does not show the ?Icon legend? for ?Read?, ?Unread?, or ?New posts?.
This is probably not a big deal. However, I would like to get to the bottom of it because if it is a problem on my end it may indicate other bigger problems.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

DC

Collapse -
Just a troubleshooting idea if you haven't done so
by Steven Haninger / May 7, 2005 12:30 PM PDT

I am wondering if you have the auto login feature activated. If so, you can try to enter the forums from a PC other than the one you normally use and log in manually. If newbies views normally, you might be able to guess the problem is in your PC. If you experience the same, it could have something to do with your profile on Cnet. Perhaps you could be allowed to rejoin with as a new member with a slight change in username/password to see if that resolved your problem.

Collapse -
I'll Try It Steve
by anad / May 7, 2005 2:00 PM PDT

I am posting this under a new name and e-mail address to see if it makes any difference.
It is late here so I will wait until tomorrow to sign on again and see the results.
I will also see if I can use another PC tomorrow.
I'll post back tomorrow with the results.

DC

Collapse -
Test Complete, Case Closed
by dcmorris / May 8, 2005 2:26 AM PDT

I logged on another PC (cable connection as opposed to my DSL) and everything worked fine. As I mentioned earlier, I tried another identity on my computer and that didn't help.
It looks like the problem is my PC but, for the life of me, I can't help but wonder why only "Computer Newbies" is affected.
I will be replacing my current PC in the not too distant future. Meantime I can live with it.
Thanks for all of your help.

DC

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?