Desktops forum

General discussion

Read this. All of this.

by welrdelr / August 16, 2006 6:15 AM PDT

This is an explanation of a computer:
1) If the circuit is closed the current will continue until the circuit is open. The reverse is also true.
Running a set of parallel wires will produce a constant brightness in lights, a standard in sound, amd the same effect in machine performance. Items run in a series lose the quality of performance. Let it be given that all the parts are the same.

The microprocessor, sound card, monitor, speakers, etc- everything- on the computer must apply to these simple rules of electronics. The computer is a machine, and it is a machine which performs mathmatical equations. Every item has a value. The hard drive store items in a matrix pattern.

The operating system is a set of instructions for the machine. This concept has been emphasized many times; and it has been ignored even more. Using the operating system is no different than using a spoken language. You must first learn the language and practice if you want to improve. If you want to do more, learn more.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Read this. All of this.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Read this. All of this.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I prefer eat sausage over pondering why a sausage
by linkit / August 17, 2006 5:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
There are holes in your dissertation. . .
by Coryphaeus / August 17, 2006 6:58 AM PDT

What in the world are you talking about and what is it in reference to?

Collapse -
Read this for your answer.
by welrdelr / August 18, 2006 3:05 AM PDT

A computer is only a machine. Once people realize this and treat it as such then they can learn to use it better. Macintosh, Windows, Linux-kernel, BSD, UNIX, Solaris, Minix, etc are operating systems. Any machine can use any of them interchangably.
Ther are bo holes in my dissertation, I'm sorry that you see it as such. The chip is a microprocessor, the original ones worked on vacuum tubes and switches which were on or off. It's that simple.
This is not magic and it should not be appraoched as an unsolvable problem. People should be steered in the direction of being able to help themselves, not being given half-*** advice from faceless individuals that have less skill than a twelve year old hacker.

Instead of continuously asking what this post is about, or, like the one before yours, flaunting the amount of stupidity one has, you can start helping people learn thier machine.

Another explanation: you're selling a product. "I like Dell." "I like Compaq." "Apple is better." Face it, that's crap. Showing the person- or, in this case, telling the person- how to use whatever machine would be more beneficial.

Collapse -
Again I ask. . .
by Coryphaeus / August 18, 2006 5:17 AM PDT

What prompted your original post? Are you trying to answer another question or just ranting?

Holes? Yes. Your wiring description is in error. Do some reading on electricity, Ohms laws, and Kirchof's laws.

You must be a newbie as I've been here since the '90s, build computers, and have over four thousand posts with correct answers.

Faceless? Before you start making accusations, visit my site below for faces you've never heard of of regular CNet members.

Continously? Can you count to one? Now number two.

And a spell check wouldn't hurt.

Wayne

There are 10 types of people who understand binary; those that do and those that don't.
Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about telephones,
internet connections, spyware removal, and download free software.

Collapse -
green vs. yellow
by linkit / August 18, 2006 5:49 AM PDT

Did you click the GREEN "Create New Discussion" button instead of the YELLOW "Reply to This Message" button when you initiated this discussion? Now, I am curious as to which forum post stimulated your initial posting.

While I don't doubt that you had good intentions with the original post in this discusstion, it reads like you are trying to regurgitate a condensed version of the first chapter in a Computers 101 textbook. (I have read and used many of them in classroom settings.)

BTW, I agree with Coryphaeus on the holes in your statements about electrical circuits.

Collapse -
To this answer, I will give a civil reply.
by welrdelr / August 19, 2006 9:26 AM PDT
In reply to: green vs. yellow

In a sense, yes. I am answering your question as such because you did not act like a self righteous ***.
I do believe that it should be emphasized that people need to learn computer fundamentals. They would avoid the spyware and malware. people could find ways around faulty systems until a patch was released.

Random posts stimulated this. I see answers that are advertisements and solutions for programs that only further clog up the Windows registries. I do not see a forum which reads "Please go here for the manufacturer's site of whatever hardware you are having trouble with. They should be able to help you."

I have done wiring in houses. I know the basics of electricity.

Collapse -
sausage metaphor
by linkit / August 19, 2006 9:54 AM PDT

I agree with your points regarding the need for many to learn fundamentals and that many offer solutions which trade one problem for another.

My initial reply in this discussion was not an attempt to berate you or ''act as a self righteous ***.'' I was simply using a common English metaphor to respond to a set of statements that seemed either to be an orphaned reply or a frustrated rant. I have no problems with either, especially since I have done both in one forum or another.

I thank you for clarifying the nature of your post.

Collapse -
Thread locked...
by John.Wilkinson / August 22, 2006 3:50 PM PDT

This thread has crossed the line in more ways than one, and as a result has been locked.

Porch-a-Geese: The posting of others' addresses, legitimate or not, and allusions to physical confrontations are not allowed. Also, all posts must be written in the English language with few acceptions. For those reasons two of your replies to this thread have been deleted.

John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.