HolidayBuyer's Guide

The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Reaching out for Australia!

by P_o_e_t / May 7, 2007 6:49 AM PDT

Hello all, I'm new to the forums here. Upon Veronica's recommendation, I'm posting a small request to the Buzz Out Loud community. I figured with this being a tech-oriented podcast and with supposedly quite a few listeners hailing from Australia I might have a shot at getting in touch with someone who can help me out.

Here's my situation:

I'm currently in the planning stages of move out to Australia with my girlfriend. I'm looking to gather as much information as I can, as well as getting in touch with kind folks who could lend me some advice.

It would be fantastic to get in touch with anyone (be it an Australian citizen or well-traveled migrant worker) who could, in some way, provide some insight into emigrating to Australia. I'm a 25-year-old project manager for a small IT consulting firm in NYC. I'm most interested in finding work (preferably in the same industry) and living in Sydney. If possible, I'd like to discuss and understand factors such as economy, quality of life, governmental influence, cost of living, barrier to entry, etc. Most importantly, if there were some way I could find info on opportunities for employment or obtaining a visa (i.e. a website, magazine, or organization I refer to), that would be so helpful. Regardless, if you'd just like to share your experiences, thoughts, regrets, whatever... I'm happy to hear anything you've got to say.

Thanks!

-Jeremy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reaching out for Australia!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reaching out for Australia!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
below
by aribeiro2 / May 7, 2007 9:28 AM PDT

just look at the sponsored links
Silly

Collapse -
In short
by Dirty Pirate / May 7, 2007 3:50 PM PDT

Just like everywhere else that I have lived, you have to have the work first. Otherwise, there is no point in even trying to get your permits. I believe it is all done on a point system, but I can't be sure. I have lived in 5 countries now and I will have to say that next to Canada, Australia is the toughest nut to crack.

Check out monster, they seem to have the market wrapped up on job searches in different countries.

I have been thinking of writing a book on what it is like to move and live in different countries because it can be easy and hard. But there are some general rules of thumb that come into play. Like make sure you have a copy of your car insurance and at leadt 3 months of bank statements with you. Car insurance and opening a bank account can be the toughest. EVEN if you are with someone who is a local.

Wish I could give you more information, but what I had mentioned abouve is from memory and I could be worng.

Collapse -
Melbourne > Sydney
by sabirnie / May 7, 2007 11:00 PM PDT

Jeremy man, take it from an Australian resident, Melbourne Is much greater than Sydney.
Nominated #1 most liveable city in the world for a reason!

Sydney has traffic problems, and is over populated and has little room to grow outwards geographically.

Melbourne!

Post back your thoughts other Australian listeners.

--PS if you REALLY want to work at Cnet.com.au then maybe Sydney is worth it Silly

Collapse -
Thanks!
by P_o_e_t / May 8, 2007 2:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Melbourne > Sydney

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm going to do some more research on Melbourne, perhaps my initial impressions of Sydney vs. Melbourne were incorrect. Anyone else want to weigh in on that topic?

Do you happen to know of any big IT companies (in either city) that are great places to work and also hire internationally?

Collapse -
Melbourne and Sydney
by ellymo / May 8, 2007 3:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

Hello,

I'm in Sydney, so I'll have a Sydney bias, but either city is great depending on what you like. With Sydney, you get a big city plus beaches ten minutes away. Melbourne is colder and there aren't any beaches, but arguably it has more culture in terms of arts and such. It's also meant to be less superficial than Sydney, but that depends on who you hang out with.

As for tech companies, all the big guys are here -- Google has recently established offices in Australia. Have a look at seek.com.au and mycareer.com.au -- these are the main job sites used by Australians.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.