Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Re: XP to Vista upgrade issue.

by constantlee / January 31, 2014 7:41 PM PST

This Sony VGN-SZ3 XWP/C (was XP) has an annoying habit of "going into Standby mode" without warning or cause from me.

This happens infrequently but is a reliable pattern in any session lasting an hour or more perhaps. (overheating maybe?)

This L/T was an unwise buy from eBay and it has been a headache right from scratch.

A critical thing I have found since loading Vista on there is that there is No brightness control in the Power Settings as there would be on a native Vista machine.

If anyone can tell me how to overcome that it would be the answer to a make or break situation. I doubt anyone would be able to use the machine on full brightness for long.

Many thanks

constantlee has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Re: XP to Vista upgrade issue.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Re: XP to Vista upgrade issue.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by constantlee

Collapse -
further to
by constantlee / January 31, 2014 7:55 PM PST

I should add that as a general feeling I am more inclined to strip it for parts than spend further time head-aching over the intricacies of Sony updates and related complications. I have noticed that windows updates take forever to complete, if at all and in some cases seem to get stuck at one stage for an unrealistic length of time which just prompts one to turn the thing off.
Overall it is a project that I would warm to IF I had endless amounts of time to devote to it, but I don't .... consequently it is a stress I don't need.
Thanks

Collapse -
I suspect...
by Willy / January 31, 2014 10:31 PM PST
In reply to: further to

For brightness, the laptop should have dedicated keys to manually control the output. I find that most common in many laptops.

Next, since you're updating the Vista install. It will no doubt once online begin the patches from MS. These are SP1 and SP2, which can be gotten using any other PC to directly get those to install. Go to the MS download website and locate them or google for Vista SP? and locate the source as i trust MS still has them. Get those so you can directly install and be sure your AC powered and then apply. Yes, it will take time so be patient.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/service-packs-download

Then proceed to get the remaining MS updates, etc., after those because its a long process.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
it does have
by constantlee / January 31, 2014 11:36 PM PST
In reply to: I suspect...

dedicated keys, Fn and F5/F6 but obviously they dont work yet.

The issue with the unwanted Standby is very off putting for the project. I would be open to ideas about how to begin looking to fix that although I realise it is probably quite involved. Yet another potential learning curve.

I will give your advice a shot Willy, many thanks again. lee

Collapse -
they won't work until you load the driver files
by James Denison / February 1, 2014 12:31 PM PST
In reply to: it does have

they are not hardwired to do that, but work through software driver files from the manufacturer for Vista system on that computer.

Collapse -
more importantly
by constantlee / January 31, 2014 11:40 PM PST
In reply to: I suspect...

will the updates for Vista & MS give the dedicated keys on an originally XP machine as mentioned, the means to lower and raise the brightness via those keys ... that is the question ??

da ta Happy

Collapse -
During intial install
by Willy / February 1, 2014 4:25 AM PST
In reply to: more importantly

You should have been prompted if this was a "laptop install" than a desktop or using minimized install, etc.. That would have provided many of the nuances of laptop operation and/or what MS provides, like battery options, etc.. This is now a mute point as I don't see if not done this way, you have to redo the whole install to be sure it gets done right. That alone should have defaulted to laptop install as it sees or should done so. You can check this under the "power options" or similar. I just recall where in Vista that would be located if not in the power setup but its there somewhere in control panel section. You can google for that of you like or recheck how even under XP it would be seen. But, it sould provide the laptop features in most cases at least the typical ones. I can't say for any super specialized or unique kybds..

tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
I think it is likely,
by constantlee / February 1, 2014 4:58 AM PST
In reply to: During intial install

I will need to redo the whole thing because the Sony automatic updates dont seem to be connecting. It keeps saying no updates available. I'm plodding through the individual updates but probably not doing them right. I have wasted days on this thing already and dont want to waste more.
Very grateful for your kind help Willy,
ATB

Collapse -
that's probably because
by James Denison / February 1, 2014 12:34 PM PST
In reply to: I think it is likely,

of using a retail Vista upgrade on it. Sony won't recognize it as one of theirs anymore. However you can download the driver files from them and get it working OK.

Collapse -
Don't use Sony updates for now
by Willy / February 1, 2014 11:52 PM PST
In reply to: I think it is likely,

Many OEM makers provide updates that maybe unique like Sony, but for the most part you need to use MS own update service. You should have that listed in the pgms, as only "windows update" rather than any Sony one. Get all those done and then goto the Sony side. At the same time it may tale longer at Sony because its not a newer system and has to go through "legacy type" operation to update. FYI, Sony can be a tiresome support as if doesn't readily available as easy as other support websites, IMHO.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
sorry to say but
by constantlee / February 1, 2014 5:23 AM PST
In reply to: During intial install

it has beaten me, its a no go. end of.
many thanks for everything.
ATB

Collapse -
Put Linux on it.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 1, 2014 5:31 AM PST
In reply to: sorry to say but

Great way to keep using it safer too.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
I will look into that Dafydd thanks ..
by constantlee / February 1, 2014 8:06 PM PST
In reply to: Put Linux on it.

Never had anything directly to do with Linux but as a learning point I will take a look asap.
ATB

Collapse -
you download the driver files
by James Denison / February 1, 2014 12:33 PM PST
In reply to: more importantly

for that computer which match the operating system you are putting on it.
If the manufacturer didn't provide them, then you'd find out what chips are on the motherboard and download driver files from the chip manufacturer. If you pop in a Linux Live DVD and run the following command you can get all the info about the chips used.

inxi -v7

Collapse -
Thank you very much for all your replies James but ..
by constantlee / February 1, 2014 8:15 PM PST

I have spent way too much time on it already and purely as a matter of conscience I cannot (much as I might otherwise have tried) allow myself to prioritise on that when there are more important things for me to get on with (so says the wife lol)

I have noted all your advices and will heed them in due course but as for this and now I need to close this thread please. In the meantime I will be offering it to a local "el cheapo" electrical store to put in shape, I really haven't got the time or patience for it any more.

God Bless you all !!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.