Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

re xp home and xp pro

by verge34 / December 20, 2013 6:49 AM PST

My son took my pc away saying he was going to upgrade. He came back from G nows where with an XP Home installed.
I am having problems with IE8 so uninstalled and reinstalled but now the pc is saying files have to be installed from the XP Home CD which I do not have. I don't know if Home ver. is registered with Microsoft and I want to put in XP Pro, but I don't want Micros to shut down my PC if they think I have a product registered to someone else on my computer.
I do have a CD for XP Pro with my Product Key.
Don't know who did this if it is who I think did this for my son as a favor, yet I paid, he has since passed away.
What do I do????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: re xp home and xp pro
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: re xp home and xp pro
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Why not install your good XP Pro?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2013 6:55 AM PST
In reply to: re xp home and xp pro

Since you will install your own XP Pro and it's own product key, why the worry about the XP Home?
Bob

Collapse -
XP Pro
by verge34 / December 20, 2013 7:01 AM PST

If I do that what happens to all the data and other programs installed? Do I have to install each one
over again?

Collapse -
They are gone.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2013 7:18 AM PST
In reply to: XP Pro

Sorry but I didn't read that was an issue. Files are always our responsibility to keep backups. I do encounter folk that have no backups which is thankfully getting more and more rare with all the good free online backup systems today.
Bob

Collapse -
XP Pro
by verge34 / December 20, 2013 10:43 AM PST
In reply to: They are gone.

Thanks for reminding me, slipped my mind. Will backup what I want to keep on my flashdrive. Then will
put everything back. I'm sure I have backups on the PC will just have to check. Thx for the help
Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to you.

Collapse -
And one more place.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2013 1:37 PM PST
In reply to: XP Pro

A single copy is a copy. To get to backup we need a second copy and please, please, please do not use any proprietary backup system. The forums have too many "How do I restore from XP Backup?"
Bob

PS. Nod to Dropbox, etc.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.