General discussion

Re: Windows Explorer Crashing Problem

When I open 1 Particular Folder on my computer I get this screen Error Message that reads: "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for this inconvience. Please tell microsoft about this problem! Within the Error Screen is an Option to "Debug" the system, which I'm not exactly sure what its for?

Anyone got a fix for this problem? I would appreciate your help!

Dawline

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Re: Windows Explorer Crashing Problem
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Re: Windows Explorer Crashing Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
The fix is

To find the file that Explorer crashes on and decide what to do with that file.

Microsoft seems to think it's not a bug.
Bob

- Collapse -
RE: Window Explorer Crashing Problems?

Thanks Bob for your response to my problem! You replies that:
"To find the file that Explorer crashes on and decide what to do with that file. Microsoft seems to think it's not a bug".

I'm not sure I'm understanding how you info can help me solve my problem? Can you be a little more (Deliberate) in What the Fix might be? I need expertise!

Thanks;
sugarbear246

- Collapse -
Well, for example

Well, for example, Explorer has a habit of crashing when generating thumbnails for video files. Microsoft has shown no interest in fixing this, so you either delete the file(s), or flip the view to something other than thumbnail.

- Collapse -
RE: Window Explorer Crashing Problems?

Thanks Jimmy; this gives me the answer I was looking for! I'll try changing the view to Icons instead, maybe that will stop the crashing?

If someone has written a program, that fixes this problem...I'd like to hear about it!

sugarbear246

- Collapse -
View Icons usually doesn't fix it.

View list or details can hop around the problem.

No one has seem interested in fixing the problem. The problem is much deeper than any one person can tackle it seems. A much longer discussion would be needed to detail what is going on, the reason Microsoft doesn't consider it a bug and more.

Bob

- Collapse -
Windows XP: Re: Windows Explorer Crashing Problem

Thank You everyone who answered this thread! I fixed the problem myself! I turns out that the Folders that were causing Windows Explorer to crash were Folders with Video Files in them. It turns out that a Codec was Out of Date. The ffdshow Codec needed to be Updated! I updated the Codec and the problem has been solved. Who Knew?

sugarbear246

- Collapse -
Keep in mind.

That this cure only cured your machine. The causes are fairly well known but with no end of codecs and more there is no one place to cure this except to disable unregister the explorer component that renders. Many don't take that as a cure.

Glad you found your fix.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info