Computer Help forum

General discussion

Re: Why is my laptop shutting down?

by Devorah / November 29, 2003 12:45 PM PST

Guess there is no help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Re: Why is my laptop shutting down?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Re: Why is my laptop shutting down?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Without any additional information......
by Dewey / November 29, 2003 2:23 PM PST

I'll ask the obvious - is the battery fully charged?

Collapse -
Re:Without any additional information......
by Devorah / November 30, 2003 7:54 AM PST

Thanks for responding. So far since purchasing it over a year ago I have never ran my laptop on its battery since it is used as a desktop replacement.

Collapse -
The Additional Information I posted previously
by Devorah / November 30, 2003 8:17 AM PST

Posted 11/26/03

I have a Toshiba Satellite 1955-S801 laptop which is just a little over a year old. Randomly it will shut off like someone unplugged it, no warning other than sometimes I hear the fan running. Lately thought it seems I don't hear the fan as often when it just shuts off. If I immediately reboot it will many times shut right back off and may do this several times in a roll if I keep trying to reboot. If I wait for approx. 5 minutes or so it will then reboot. I keep the little air vent on the bottom of the laptop clear by vacuuming often. What could be causing this?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Devorah

I forgot to mention that if I run defrag or a full virus scan it will shut off also.

Collapse -
Re:The Additional Information I posted previously
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 30, 2003 9:54 AM PST

Devorah,

Although this sounds like a heat issue and the fans may need work, have you tried checking for "malware" by running the free online scan at the link below and by installing and running the free spyware removal tools listed here? If not, please do so.

Online Antivirus Scanner
Panda Antivirus Free Online Scanner

Spyware Removal Tools

Ad-Aware 6 Spyware Removal Tool

?Spybot Search & Destroy? Spyware Removal Tool

After installing the above spyware removal tools, make sure to update them within their user interface updaters. Then run them and delete all spyware detected. BE AWARE: Some "Freeware" programs may cease running if they are dependent on spyware to function. (Like KaZaa) Still, it's better to find new "freeware" than to retain the spyware.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:Re:The Additional Information I posted previously
by Devorah / November 30, 2003 10:44 AM PST

Thanks Grif. I have Spybot already on my computer..will it do the same? What is "malware"?

Devorah

Collapse -
Laptop shut off while running the Panda virus scan
by Devorah / November 30, 2003 11:27 AM PST

I just used the Panda virus scan you gave me the link to and my pc shut down approx. 1/4 way through the scan. I waited 1 minute and rebooted and when it got to Windows it shut off again. I waited another 2 minutes and was able to proceed with connecting up and coming here to post.

When the scan was being performed I did not hear the pc fan come on. The pc just shut off like someone unplugged it from the wall.

I have noticed from the very beginning when I bought this laptop that the green lights for battery and AC power are both always on at the same time as the pc is on. Is this normal for the battery light to stay on when I am using AC power? Could this have something to do with it or do you think it is a fan/heat problem that I should contact the techs where I bought my pc?

Also, I usually turn this laptop on in the mornings and it stays on all day until sometimes midnight...sometimes it shuts off (usually in the evenings but has occurred earlier), sometimes a couple of times a day, but sometimes it does not shut off at all, but the shutting off does seem to be occuring more often lately.

I have recently placed a small fan aimed at the vent hole of the laptop (I have the pc propped up slightly in the back so that there is good air circulation under it) and I thought it may be helping but yesterday the laptop shut off twice even with the fan on it all day.

Thank you so much for any help,
Devorah

Collapse -
Devorah, Just My Opinion...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 1, 2003 4:01 AM PST

The computer shouldn't be shutting down at all. If the machine is still under warranty, or if you have a good relationship with the techs, then I'd suggest taking it to them. The fans are needed to keep things cool inside the laptop. If they aren't running, then that is most likely the issue. At least it's a good place to start. I would also attempt to run the Panda online antivirus scanner again....maybe immediately after starting up in the morning?

"Malware" is any type of program that causes harm to the computer. Although it's usually associated with spyware, adware, viruses, trojans, etc, it can sometimes be related to semi-legitimate software that causes a drain to the system.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:Devorah, Just My Opinion...
by Devorah / December 1, 2003 11:46 AM PST

Thank you Grif. I will try that...running the Panda antivirus scanner right after starting up in the morning. The manufacture warranty has expired but I will contact the company where I purchased my extended warranty.

Devorah

Collapse -
(NT) Devorah, Good Luck & Let Us Know How It Goes
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 1, 2003 12:11 PM PST

Collapse -
I hope this isn't too outdated...
by xtuser / June 19, 2005 12:48 PM PDT

But I have the same problem. I think that it is the fan. If I move my Satellite to a humid, hot room, like my bedroom upstairs, than it starts running hot. If I move it down to my basement, which is nice and cool and dry, and I give some room for the fan (by propping the computer up), than it doesn't shut off as often. In normal condition, it will not shut off (surfing the web, typing reports, spreadsheets), but if, say, I start a nice game, it will shut off within 20 miniutes.

Is it the fan?
If so, can I replace it? There doesn't seem to be any screws so that I can take out the cover to my computer. Can I change the heat sink, for some reason?

Is it dust?
I recently saw an article about dust. 2 years ago, I looked on the bottom of my computer for my first time, and the whole vent was covered with dust. But it never overheated. Now, the dust must be inside. Is that why?

Is it cheese?
Is there a big hunk of cheese inside my computer, between my processor, and my fan, blocking ventilation?

No.

Well, I need help. Either a new fan, other component, or some cleaning. Hopefully not a new computer to replace this BMW (Ultimate Computing Machine)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

CNET ON CARS

Want to see the future of car technology?

Brian Cooley found it for you at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.