Desktops forum

General discussion

Re use computer case

by lecenter / January 31, 2007 7:18 AM PST

Can I reuse a compaq computer case to build a custom system ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Re use computer case
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Re use computer case
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It really really depends on which model you have .....
by VAPCMD / January 31, 2007 10:53 AM PST
In reply to: Re use computer case

But unless it's very generic type, bite the bullet and get a generic case.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Form Factor....for Personal Computers
by castingRod47 / February 3, 2007 12:33 AM PST
In reply to: Re use computer case

Computers are built useing FORM FACTORS/
the newest I believe is BTX..before that it was ATX..
Check website www.formfactor.org
I made my PC from a DELL Tower..Dimension 2350..and used a microATX Motherboard..and a Power Supply from a Dimension 4700(specification)..it has a DVD-combo Drive from a DELL Dimension 1100-series(DE051)..and a TOSHIBA DVD-Drive(-)Burner..w/an External SONY DRX-720UL Burner..
Intel D915GAGL Motherboard
Intel Pentium 4 Processor[531]3.0GHz w/HTT
PC Power & Cooling 400-watt Silencer PSU
KINGSTON Hyper-X RAM 2 x 512 MB's
Western Digital 80-GB HDD SATA Drive(System)
Creative SoundBLASTER audigy 2ZS Digital Sound Card
DELL DVD Burner(+)(-)
TOSHIBA Burner(-)
SONY BURNER (+)(-)(DL+)
IEEE 1394 Fire Wire/CREATIVE
XP-Professional
NERO 7 Ultra Edition
No Printer
USROBOTICS Modem 5699B/
PanaSonic PV-DV53 CamCorder
CANON A-410 Digital Still Camera
The above is my hobby.

Collapse -
I have a Compaq 5102 US
by lecenter / February 3, 2007 7:30 AM PST

that was purchased in 2002 I was thinking of reusing. It already has the floppy and cdrw in it. I'm not sure what the power supply is but I like the design and would like to reuse it. Can someone tell me if this is ATX compatable or has anyone rebuilt one of these? I would like to use it to run a HD DLP projector and surround sound system for home entertainment and still be able to acess the internet and let the kids play there games. Can anyone give me a starting point for this system?

Thanks

Collapse -
You CAN reuse most of the periperherals ...floppy drive,
by VAPCMD / February 3, 2007 2:24 PM PST

CDs, HDDs, CPU (the chip and maybe heatsink) etc., but reusing a propeitary case (that limit you MB choices) and PSU (that aren't generic) are not good starts. It's like trying to build a house on a abnormal, non-standard foundation.

Can you reuse the case and PSU....maybe. Unless you're level of experince is high, you're just asking for (more) headaches and unnecessary limitations.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Thank Your for the input I think I'll try to use a Mini
by lecenter / February 5, 2007 6:26 AM PST

Tower ATX Case but still would like to have a starting point for a home entertainment system MB,TV card,Graphic card, power supply, DVD RW and anything else I might need. I'm thinking about going through tigerdirect for the components is that a good choice or are there better? Some questions I have are can I use the existing speaker I have on my surround sound system or do I need to purchase new ones and does the sound card act as my ampifier or do I need to keep the amp for Dolby surround sound?

Thank you LC

Collapse -
Start by choosing the CPU, then the motherboard and
by VAPCMD / February 5, 2007 12:05 PM PST

RAM. Work from there to choose the best case and PSU. And by all means use as many of the peripherals from your old system as you see fit. When you get a proposed system...report 'em here for comment.

I really like NewEgg.com because of their search engine, product choice, product info (with links to mfg), price, shipping and customer service.
etc.,

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Ok Here is my component list
by lecenter / February 7, 2007 12:05 PM PST

Biostar Geforce 6100-M9 mother board,Athlon 64 3200 cpu, Ultra 1024 mb PC 3200 DDR 400 MHz RAM { if I purchase 2 can I use them for the dual channel} Inland MATX Micro-Tower, Hitachi 7K160 GB hard drive. What do you think?

THANK YOU LC

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!