Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Re; ''upscale'' TVs.... what do these mean?

I'm not in the market for a new TV, but I like to look at ads. before, they touted''HD built-in'' or ''HD-ready''.

Now I see...

''DLP'' ''HR-ILA'' ''DCR'' ''SXRD''

(And the print in the banners underneath is too small for me to read)

Just curious.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Re; ''upscale'' TVs.... what do these mean?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Re; ''upscale'' TVs.... what do these mean?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"The big print giveth, and

In reply to: Re; ''upscale'' TVs.... what do these mean?

the fine print taketh away."

Collapse -
DCR means digital-cable-ready and has a digital tuner

built in. DLP is a digital ready form of projection TV and therefore has a big screen and is capable of higher resolution though not necessarily with a built in digital tuner. Evie, please correct me on this if I'm wrong. The other two baffle me and seem more like proprietary special features specific to a manufacturer. Anybody else got ideas?

HD built-in should mean the presence of a digital high definition tuner but I'd ask the seller to make sure, HD-ready means that if you use a cable box or a sattelite dish which has High Definition capability your TV will play in High Definition.

Rob

Collapse -
Since you asked:

DLP: Digital Light Processing. The use of a chipset to manipulate video signals for maximum brightness, color and clarity (Sounds like I'm buying a diamond, doesn't it? Devil ). See http://www.dlp.com/dlp_technology/dlp_technology_overview.asp

SXRD: A Sony propriatary circuit said to improve overall picture smoothness and contrast. Used in LCD screens only.

HR-ILA: It's actually "HD-ILA," and it's a circuit similar to Sony's SXRD, but propriatary to JVC's LCD screens.

The last two are explained at http://www.techweb.com/encyclopedia/defineterm.jhtml?term=LCoS

Now, my take: I have three criteria for TV screens. They are in order, color correctness, contrast and brightness. I do not want to be watching a Colts game and see them in Titans' blue. The picture should be crisp and clean, and then comes brightness; I'll live with a slightly less bright screen if the colors are correct and the contrast is good.

I've only owned conventional tube TV's, but within that realm I've had great success with Sony sets, as their combination of color correctness, contrast and brightness have been just fine for me - and the price has been quite competitive.

Collapse -
Thanks Paul, and your hierarchy of color correctness,

In reply to: Since you asked:

contrast and brightness I agree with whole heartedly.

Rob

Collapse -
Right on about the

In reply to: Since you asked:

criteria for TV screens, color correctness, contrast and brightness.

Bought a slim 15" LCD TV Friday for the wife to use in the kitchen and what a disappointment. The color would not hold, changing with the channel selections. Took it back and purchased a 15" flat screen tube (CRT type) Magnavox (with sound stabilization) that held the correct color, excellent contrast and brightness, also costing $140 less.

The best TV I have had in the past for color correctness, contrast, brightness and sound stabilization has been my 6yr old 32" Magnavox. Wife won a 42" Samsung Plasma TV a couple years ago, and by far it is the the most amazing picture I have ever owned in a TV with 'out of this world' color, contrast, and brightness.

Have a 25" Samsung next to my computers which also shows very good TV.

Collapse -
CNet actually has a good article on this

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10166_7-6213889-1.html

And this one: http://www.digitalproducer.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=25310-1

So far, I've only fully experienced my TV with the DVD player. I have to get an HDTV box (or card?) to get the HD (High Definition) channels. It doesn't cost extra, but needs it reprogrammed. My cable box has a credit card sized card stuck in it. My new bigscreen is HDTV ready which means there's a slot on the back for the card -- Presumably this means I can do without the box to get HDTV channels (there aren't that many, but it's the next big expansion so I'm told), but I'm not sure if it will allow me to get PPV (hubby subscribes to one sports package) and other premium channels (like HBO) and functions. I'll have free time tomorrow to look into that when customer service is open!

Even my over 15 y.o. 19'' regular TV came ''cable ready'' which means I don't need a cable box to get regular channels. Would only need one for HBO and PPV, so we have one for the sports package. My gut tells me it's the same for the TV's with the built in HD tuners. Can get all the regular channels and those in HD, but not premium ones.

I think the HD is becoming more necessary because folks are trending towards bigger TV's if not the ''big screen'' TV. It's needed for crisp larger images. I've heard (but don't know personally) that smaller HD's have such good resolution that the makeup on the actors and actresses is accentuated to an annoying degree.

Evie Happy
Collapse -
On 17 Feb 2009, Evie,...

In reply to: CNet actually has a good article on this

...analog TV (NTSC system) broadcasts will be phased out in favor of digital signals. These digital signals, however, are not HDTV; that's a different signal altogether.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/19/AR2005121901526.html

You may want to check if come that date your new TV will accept digital broadcast signals without a set top box. You need to touch base with your cable provider as well, although most if them are already offering digital service.

Collapse -
Already have digital ...

In reply to: On 17 Feb 2009, Evie,...

... but there are very limited HD offerings. If I plug the cable directly into the TV instead of into the existing box first, there is no difference in picture quality, so I think the TV must have this capability built in. I'm checking with the company today about the HD.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
A couple of things my wife and I want

When we DO get a TV -- we arent in the market for one, yet -- is "smart sound" and subtitles.

One of the things we both hate is when the TV suddenly gets too :!:loud:!: when an ad comes on. The technology for that has been around for years and years, but I guess there are still TVs out there that dont utilize it. Makes me wonder if the people doing ads have been paying them something... :o

Collapse -
Mine has it

In reply to: A couple of things my wife and I want

Hi Dragon,

My bedroom TV has the automatic volume correcting, which was a real blessing!

Then, we got DirecTV, and since that's been hooked up, it no longer works. I have no idea why, and the DirecTV people have not been able to answer the question. Sad

--Cindi

Collapse -
Wonder if it has something to do with these---

In reply to: Mine has it

Compression
The reduction of the size of digital data files by removing redundant and/or non-critical information ("data" being the elements of video, audio and other information).

Dolby Digital?
An audio compression technology that can deliver high-quality digital audio for up to 5.1 discrete channels. Also referred to as AC-3. For more information, go to www.dolby.com.

Collapse -
Might be, Dragon.

In reply to: Wonder if it has something to do with these---

I'll admit it's beyond my ken. In any case, I don't think there's anything I can do to change it, just curse it! LOL

--Cindi

Collapse -
My first guess...

In reply to: Mine has it

...are you, perhaps, running the RCA audio output from the DirecTV box into the TV? If so, have you verified with your TV owners manual that the auto-volume feature is supported on the line inputs?

If, OTOH, you're using the RF/coax out of the DTV box, I don't have a clue.

Mark

Collapse -
RF/Coax

In reply to: My first guess...

That's why I figured it'd have to be DirecTV's problem. Actually, the sound is very uneven...getting louder and softer within shows as well as the obvious commercial blast.

They have no clue, now my ears have mostly adjusted, I guess (except for those darned commercials!).

--Cindi

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.