Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

?? Re: Telephony and Clipbook

In Services, Telephone states it's for remote access to your computer. Can this service be stopped and still be able to get on the net?

In Clipboard....how can you get it set to where it accumulates more than one item? I know when I use Word or Paint, etc. I can get more added to it automatically, but it doesn't seem to work that way when doing on-the-fly cut and/or copy from the net or Wordpad. Can the program be configured for that option or some system type .ini file that can be altered to allow that all the time?

TONI

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ?? Re: Telephony and Clipbook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ?? Re: Telephony and Clipbook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Mine says this. . .

In reply to: ?? Re: Telephony and Clipbook

Provides Telephony API (TAPI) support for programs that control telephony devices and IP based voice connections on the local computer and, through the LAN, on servers that are also running the service.

Stop and disable it and see what happens.

Never use clipboard.

Collapse -
(NT) Crap...I meant Telnet

In reply to: Mine says this. . .

Collapse -
Also, in CHelp

In reply to: Crap...I meant Telnet

I responded to your WinDrivers question, Wayne

TONI

Collapse -
Still need an answer for Telnet

In reply to: Crap...I meant Telnet

In services, it describes this as being used for remote access to my computer via the net. Can this service be turned off/disabled without losing my internet access? It seems to be pretty vague about the security risks involved by leaving it on, and my idea of remote access would be regarding sharing files via ftp with another person, such as WS_FTP Pro, or by some cracker/hacker out there via a virus/worm/rootkit. If I can turn this off, how would that affect my using FTP for uploading files to my website since that only goes one way for me...OUT not IN.

TONI

Collapse -
In short. No.

In reply to: Still need an answer for Telnet

Telnet (the service) is not required for almost everyone. It will never affect the items you listed.

Bob

Collapse -
Clipboard doesn't do that.

In reply to: ?? Re: Telephony and Clipbook

In Microsoft Office there is a slightly better clipboard, but stock windows has only one clip in the clipboard. Look to replacements from the internet.

Bob

Collapse -
I didn't realize

In reply to: Clipboard doesn't do that.

there were actually two separate Clipboards being used...one exclusively for Office. I would think, though, that the Office one would overwrite the other and allow for it throughout Windows. Thanks, Bob

TONI

Collapse -
It doesn't. The office clipbook only is active...

In reply to: I didn't realize

During use of Office. Not a bug...

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.