Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

? re: subfolders in folders

Gateway 400 Select PC; Windows 98SE; IE6 SP2; 160MB ram

Is there a maximum # of subfolders I can put into a folder?

Is there a maximum # of files I can put into a sub-folder?

E.G. I have My Pictures folder full of 50 subfolders on various subjects. Within each subfolder, I have many files (.jpg and .gif files).

Is there a limit on filling these folders and subfolders?

Thank you

Julea

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ? re: subfolders in folders
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ? re: subfolders in folders
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: ? re: subfolders in folders

In reply to: ? re: subfolders in folders

There is no limit for the number of folders in a subfolder. And no limit to the number of files in a subfolder. Until you run out of disk space.

But worth noting is the OS slows a little with every 250 or so entries in the directory. Eventually it can take an hour to open a file.

There is another issue which is not a limit of the filesystem, but of Explorer. With this DOS based OS, the 64 thousand byte resource pool can be depleted and Explorer may fail.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thank you Bob -- that helps me a great deal.

Collapse -
Consider. . .

1. Something to consider is to increase the default 500 for the "Max Cached Icons" value data range, [Q132668].

2. The article [Q140679] describes the purpose of the Typical Role Of This Machine setting (Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, Performance, File System) and states the Windows default values for NameCache and PathCache are written to the registry incorrectly for the Network Server and Mobile Or Docking System profiles, that the performance of the file system on your computer is unchanged or degraded after you select Network Server or Mobile Or Docking System, and provides step-by-step instructions for editing the system registry to correct the problem. Supplemental reading: "Microsoft TechNet, Chapter 26 - Performance Tuning."

a. When you use the Desktop Computer setting, VFAT allocates memory to record the 32 most recently accessed folders and the 677 most recently accessed files. This consumes approximately 10K of memory.

b. When you use the Mobile Or Docking System setting, VFAT allocates memory to record the 16 most recently accessed folders and the 337 most recently accessed files. This consumes approximately 5K of memory.

c. When you use the Network Server setting, VFAT allocates memory to record the 64 most recently accessed folders and the 2729 most recently accessed files. This consumes approximately 40K of memory.

Collapse -
Re: Consider. . .

In reply to: Consider. . .

Thank you CursorCowboy. Here it is 9/2 and I'm now reading this. I am sorry I didn't get back to this post to check about more responses. I do appreciate your post and I've copied and pasted info for my "archives." I will do some considering. Thank you again.

Julea

Collapse -

HI

NO. there are no limits in 98SE. except for the hard
drive size.

Collapse -
you may have trouble backing up

particularly to a CD as the ISO format only allows 255 characters in the path statement from memory (my memory that is!!!)
just something else to consider
Peter

Collapse -

There are many ways people store files. Scattered, layered and "treelike". I'll explain. Think of your file system as a family tree layout. Some of the families have a lot of offspring that originate from one source. Just like files within folders, you can keep adding folders to folders, but this buries the information so deep within the root directory, that find a particular file ends up with a path name that is lengthy. try to keep your folder tree wide and shallow. In other words, within the parent or root directory, or main file heading, naming multiple files within broadens out the file contents without making the file path name buried too deeply. Enable "show full path" in the address bar in your folders settings and you can see what I mean. Not only does this make finding files easier, but trying to remember if C:\My Documents\My pictures\My Family\Reunions\Reunions at My House\2002 Reunions at My House\Pictures of My Sister\Lookather.jpg is the picture your trying to find can be a little frustrating. Wider is better than deeper. Try to create as many different subfolders or child directories under the parent folder to organize your files better. Like C:\My pictures\2002 Family Reunion Pictures at my House\Lookather.jpg. Having multiple sub-folders under one main folder is a good way to store files.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.