Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Re: Spybot S&D program upgrade

by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 25, 2004 9:37 PM PDT

Donna and others have mentioned the "fix" for Spybot Search & Destroy in a previous thread for "Updates for October 25th 2004".

I didn't want to post there as that thread seems to be only for update information, and not other queries, hence this new thread.

I am confused about the version of Spybot S&D I am using.

The advice is that we must be running Spybot S&D version 1.3 Final before upgrading the program to install the fix.

Can I be absolutely simple minded about this?

My version of Spybot S&D is 1.3. It "does not" say 1.3 Final.

This might be important because the advice at MajorGeeks.com is that the fix can only be applied to Spybot S&D 1.3 Final, and so if I haven't got that, I must download 1.3 Final , uninstall any previous version, and install 1.3 Final before I apply the fix.

So, do I have 1.3 Final? Or do I have 1.3 which is not Final and therefore I must download 1.3 Final, uninstall my 1.3, install 1.3 Final, and then download and install the patch.

My head hurts!!

I have downloaded the 1.3 Final program from MajorGeeks, but the file name is spybot13.exe. It's the same as the previous spybot13.exe and gives no clues whether it is a final version or not.

Any comments or advice? Or am I just being silly.

Mark

BTW, I looked at Spybots forums. there seems to be a little confusion there as well. But then I might just be sensitive, Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Re: Spybot S&D program upgrade
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Re: Spybot S&D program upgrade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by roddy32 / October 25, 2004 10:23 PM PDT

I didn't check to see if mine said final on it before I downloaded the fix on it Mark but I clicked on the second link that Donna posted which is from Safer-Networking per her instructions and it installed the 1-31TX.exe version and it worked fine for me. This is a copy of her post.

Do not uninstall your version. The said update is a fix for the current version stable version of SSD. It is a fix for the DSO Exploit detections which we've been waiting for

Just download it from http://www.safer-networking.org/files/spybotsd131tx.exe
then open the spybotsd131tx.exe file, it will show the installation wizard. When done, you should see your SSD version as 1.3.1TX

Collapse -
by William Randall / October 26, 2004 2:11 AM PDT

Prior to the fix, if we told the program to ignore DSO exploits, after this fix, will real DSO exploits be shown or do we have to go into settings, find the "ignore DSO exploit" entries, and UNignore them?

BTW, for the person who started this thread, you were not alone as I decided to do nothing because I found the instructions to be equally confusing.

I have a gripe about this program. After this fix, my unchecked boxes for creating a system restore point on fixes were checked again. I wish they would leave my settings alone with these fixes.

Collapse -
by roddy32 / October 26, 2004 2:37 AM PDT

I don't know the answer to your first question Bill because I never had DSO set to be ignored because Spybot never detected it on my computer either before or after the fix. Donna said yesterday on the other thread that Dso is still showing up for her 5 times even after the fix. As to the settings change, I just checked and mine settings were left untouched by the fix, the only thing I notice different now is when yout first bring it up, the version is now "Spybot Search and Destroy 1.3.1TX".

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thank you roddy32
by William Randall / October 26, 2004 3:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're Welcome Bill
by roddy32 / October 26, 2004 3:59 AM PDT
In reply to: (NT) Thank you roddy32
Collapse -
by Marianna Schmudlach / October 26, 2004 2:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Donna Buenaventura / October 26, 2004 6:55 AM PDT

Yes, you have the final version. Run a scan using your current version, if it will detect DSO Exploit, close the program. Install the said DSO Exploit fix. Run a scan again to see if DSO Exploit will be flagged again. Over here, it is still detecting though I installed the said fix.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 26, 2004 8:21 AM PDT

Marianna and Donna, and everyone else, many thanks for all your advice.

I've got to sit back and think on this. Having read these posts I thought I had made an error in my original post when I talked about version 1.3.

Everyone here is talking about v1.3.1 (or is it 1.31?) and I thought I had mislead you all by failing to upgrade somewhere down the line to the v1.3.1, or that I already have 1.3.1 and just failed to read it right.

But my Spybot definitately is 1.3. MajorGeeks.com at http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4392 talks about 1.3 Final

I just want to pause on this and work it through.

By the way Donna, I did a further scan on my version, and it has found no DSO exploits. I have seen this problem you say you're having with Spybot still reporting DSO's after the upgrade talked about at http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=23940 and that led me onto http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,11684678~mode=flat#11691520 and there one of the forum members said this;

"The first time a scan is performed with either of the Beta versions it will still report the DSO Exploit since the problem of the registry values being incorrect still exists. Once a complete 'scan and fix' sequence is performed the problem will be resolved. The next scan should have no DSO Exploit listed.

The only exception I've seen is if the user logged into a W2K or XP OS doesn't have the Administrative access necessary to change some of the registry keys."

i don't know if that has any relevance to you.

Mark

Collapse -
by radean / October 26, 2004 9:06 AM PDT

I had the same version as you have. It did not report DSO Eploits. Previous versions did.
Think you are in good shape either way. If you get the DSO report, don't worry about it. If not, then alls fine Happy

Collapse -
Mark - You're Welcome ... I have 1.3.1TX
by Marianna Schmudlach / October 26, 2004 9:18 AM PDT

on 2 computers Happy

Collapse -
Mark
by Donna Buenaventura / October 26, 2004 9:46 AM PDT

I remember now that some users (including myself) are allowing SSD to fix the detected DSO Exploit before but the fix seems didn't fix because the next time we will run another scan, it is detected again.

This DSO Exploit fix confused me too because what I thought that it will not find DSO Exploit anymore once the fix has been installed LOL

Anyway, it is clear to me now and I hope to others.. that this DSO Exploit fix means it will finally fix what it need to fix and then the next scan will not show detections for it again.

I did what Bitman wrote.. I scan and let it fix the DSO exploit it detected. I scan again and all is well. No more DSO Exploit.

Good fix.

With regards to SSD versions.

1.3.1 was released as beta last Aug. See http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=20938 and was installed thru program updater IF the user selected to "download beta" in SSD settings.

1.3 is the final version.

Collapse -
Donna...
by William Randall / October 26, 2004 10:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Mark

After installing this fix, I'm showing that I have 1.3.1TX. Does this mean that since 1.3 is the final version, I'm running a beta version now? I'm pretty sure that all I had before was 1.3.

Collapse -
William
by Donna Buenaventura / October 26, 2004 1:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Donna...

Yes, you are now running the beta that they hope to fix DSO Exploit and other errors that was reported by other SSD users.

The spybotsd131tx.exe was created based on the original Beta 1.3.1 version as per bitman - 1 of the technical expert in Net-Integration forum (from the link that Mark posted earlier.). The tech expert also wrote: "spybotsd131tx.exe file only replaces the main Spybotsd.exe program file which does the basic scan and fix functions"

SSD 1.3.1 Beta is supposed to fix the DSO Exploit but other users are still seeing the DSO exploit. This 1.3.1TX seems a good fix now but it is a beta as per bitman.

You might want to re-install final version 1.3 if you do not want to run a beta program William. 1.3.1TX is a fix but beta.

I just noticed that the TeaTimer in my systray is now saying "SpyRemover" instead of Teatimer or Spybot Search & Destroy. I'm not sure if this was changed too by this 1.3.1TX Confused

Collapse -
Donna -
by William Randall / October 26, 2004 2:19 PM PDT
In reply to: William

Donna,

Thank you for your informative reply. I'll stick with what I have as long as there are no problems. I quit running beta for SB S&D back when I had trouble on my Win98, but I've found that my WinXP PRO is a heck of a lot more stable than my old system.

William

Collapse -
Re: Mark
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 26, 2004 8:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Mark

Ahhh thank you Donna,

Much clearer for me now.

Once again, thanks to "everyone" who has posted here.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!