by zeebell / March 16, 2009 9:57 AM PDT

Windows XP w/SP3 IE 7
Compaq Presario SR1550NX
2.40 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64
Memory - 1.37GB of Ram
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
200GB hard drive

How do I set the order of email clients within Outlook Express?

I have opened OE; left clicked on TOOLS>ACCOUNTS>MAIL tab. It shows my 3 email accounts I have set up to download through OE. One of them is my real addy and other 2 are gmail accounts. The order of them are: a gmail addy; real addy (in the middle); and then the other gmail account. This is also how they download onto our PC when opening OE or clicking on the send button.

How do I get our real addy to become the first one to download?

The SET ORDER button I can only get activitated when I left click on the ALL or Directory Service tab. On the ALL tab, the 3 email addys are shown I mentioned above; in addition, it shows Active Directory; Bigfoot Internet Directory Service; VeriSign Internet Directory Service; and WhoWhere Internet Directory Service.

No matter which items I left click on under the ALL tab or Directory Service tab and then left click on SET ORDER; the next dialogue box that comes up is DIRECTORY SERVICES ORDER. The only thing that pops up in there is Active Directory. There is an ok button but when I click on it, nothing happens that I can tell.

Does anyone out there know how to set the order so that the default email client (which is our real email addy) will appear on the list first or so it will be downloaded first?

I have called our ISP and they referred me to Microsoft who will not help me because they say it's a pay question. Phooey! Our ISP said they did not help on software inquiries and OE was a Microsoft product.

Thanks for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ? re: setting order of email clients within OE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ? re: setting order of email clients within OE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Download order goes by the default program.
by Coryphaeus / March 16, 2009 4:09 PM PDT
Collapse -
In other words - it can't be changed??
by zeebell / March 16, 2009 4:26 PM PDT

Why do they have a SET ORDER button?

Thanks,

Julea

Collapse -
Microsoft also has an UPDATE DRIVER button.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2009 11:09 PM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks for the info Bob;
by zeebell / March 16, 2009 11:50 PM PDT

I followed your link and lol, it looks like you're a pro on this subject. Until next time ----

Collapse -
Hope it helped.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2009 11:54 PM PDT

I wish all software worked as advertised or documented but it doesn't. My hope was to note the FRIENDLY NAME that does appear to work in Outlook (I've used this in the 2000, 2003 versions) but Outlook Express is the freebie so we're never sure there.

My hope is that you won't give it much effort past trying the FRIENDLY NANE idea.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks again Bob--appreciate you. No more effort here (LOL)
by zeebell / March 17, 2009 12:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Hope it helped.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.